Best Fish Extender gift received?

We are going on our first cruise in March - sooo excited! We have been planning on making maple syrup lollipops for our FE gifts...however, someone that is organizing our FE said 'one piece of candy' wouldn't be an appropriate gift. We make the maple syrup and the candies, and even though it's 'just one piece of candy' - it seems like more to us. Good FE gift or not? Help!

We are going on our first cruise in March - sooo excited! We have been planning on making maple syrup lollipops for our FE gifts...however, someone that is organizing our FE said 'one piece of candy' wouldn't be an appropriate gift. We make the maple syrup and the candies, and even though it's 'just one piece of candy' - it seems like more to us. Good FE gift or not? Help!

While I wish I could have one of your maple syrup lollipops (big maple sugar candy lover here), I want to point out a couple of things.

DCL doesn't allow homemade foods to be brought onboard:

Homemade, pre-cooked or other perishable items plus any open snack containers cannot be brought on board.
https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/planning-center/my-cruise-plans/faqs/beverage-policy/food-storage/

And, there are people who will immediately trash homemade food items. Mostly because they can't confirm how it was prepared. Allergy, and not being sure it's "safe" are the biggest reasons I've seen touted as why someone won't keep homemade food gifts.

PrincessShmoo brought up some good points above. however, i'm questioning what your organizer is saying. "one piece of candy" wouldn't be appropriate? granted i'm a newbie at this, but it seems like the whole idea behind FE is pure good will, and it feels wrong to say "well, this gift of yours just isn't good enough." i would be so happy and thankful for whatever i find in my FE, whether it be a piece of candy, a magnet, a postcard, a toy, whatever. they are all things people put thought into, no?

or is the organizer saying it's inappropriate because of what PrincessShmoo said above?

PrincessShmoo brought up some good points above. however, i'm questioning what your organizer is saying. "one piece of candy" wouldn't be appropriate? granted i'm a newbie at this, but it seems like the whole idea behind FE is pure good will, and it feels wrong to say "well, this gift of yours just isn't good enough." i would be so happy and thankful for whatever i find in my FE, whether it be a piece of candy, a magnet, a postcard, a toy, whatever. they are all things people put thought into, no?

or is the organizer saying it's inappropriate because of what PrincessShmoo said above?

I also am happy with whatever gift we've received in our FEs. There are some people who say "You just get a bunch of cheap plastic trinkets", but I even like those. I've used those for little favors at my kid's school and at Sunday school at my church.

I think the organizer passing judgment on what's appropriate just isn't right. It's all supposed to be fun.

My favorite gifts are the recipe cards from other places, as well as little brochures (sort of visitor center type things) from other places telling us about where people are from.

But, I'm also a sucker for candy :goodvibes

I want to know where those story dice came from! Do they look homemade or store bought? I can see many uses to those!!

Someone gave us inexpensive thermal cups with Mickey crystal stickers on it that we used all week. I had never cruised before so I didn't realize that the soft drink cups were so small. This thermal cup went everywhere with me!

That sounds like a perfect gift!

This has been really helpful and I think I know what I'm going to do for our FE! Unless we have a small group. Then I might spend a little more. :)

We received homemade ceramic coasters on one cruise. We them made similar coasters on a future cruise. Easy to do.

We bought:

Several 4" x 4" square ceramic bathroom tiles at Home Depot ($.15 each)
1 rolled up sheet of thin cork for the bottoms
1 jar of Mod Podge

Did a design to fit on the tile, printed the design out (must use a laser printer, inkjets will run) replicated it and cut them all out.
using a foam brush, coated the top of the tile with a thin layer of Mod Podge.
placed the design on the still wet tile, smoothed out any wrinkles and coated the top (over the design) and sides with more Mod Podge (several coats are required after each has a chance to dry)
** important - each coat should be brushed on in a uniform direction. For texture, I would go top to bottom on one coats and side to side on the next **
cut the cork sheet to fit the tile and glue the cork to the bottom of the tile.

This is what I made for our last cruise.

a5xle.jpg

2iqna13.jpg

These are all amazing ideas for a first timer! I'm a little skeptical about joining the FE on our cruise since I'm not sure how much space it'll take up in the suitcases, and we're doing WDW before and after out cruise. But this experience seems too good to pass up!

**Potential Spoiler Alert for Fantasy - Nov 14, 2015**

Can anyone tell me if this would be a good idea for family gifts...?
A little Disney duo tang folder, inside a Disney pen/pencil, and 7 pre-printed sheets of "Today's Favourite Activity" - the family can spend a few minutes writing out their favourite time or memory from that day. Perhaps even having pirate themed paper for pirate night, etc., each sheet has a spot for a picture, and prompted questions with lines to answer them on?

Sure, that is a great gift. Whoever said one piece is silly. Sometimes we got a lot of stuff and there is such as thing as too much! So, do whatever you wish and the people will be happy with it.

Can anyone tell me if this would be a good idea for family gifts...?
A little Disney duo tang folder, inside a Disney pen/pencil, and 7 pre-printed sheets of "Today's Favourite Activity" - the family can spend a few minutes writing out their favourite time or memory from that day. Perhaps even having pirate themed paper for pirate night, etc., each sheet has a spot for a picture, and prompted questions with lines to answer them on?

That sounds very special! It keeps it inexpensive but it is personal and customizeable and will be looked at for years to come. Let us know if you choose it and how it comes out! :groom:

What amazing ideas!!! this is why I love the Dis boards so much. We did our first FE on the Fantasy NYE cruise this year, and received many wonderful FE gifts. I know I agonized over just the "right" gift to give out. I ended up buying and making many and giving out bags chock full of gifts, everything from light up pins for the kids to alcohol for the "big kids". What i learned is whatever you give is appreciated, whether it is a pice of candy or a handmade purse....all were appreciated. It was so much fun going back to the room at various times to see what had been delivered to the room. I highly recommend it to everyone, and can't wait till the Alaska Members Cruise in May where we will do it all again

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter