Best Fireworks Viewing w/ minimal crowds

kayteekt

DIS Veteran
We've been to Disney 5 times over the last 5 years...and while all of the fireworks are awesome, with 2 little ones sometimes we omit because of the heavy crowds and masses trying to leave parks afterwards. This January we are going with some extended family. This is their 1st time and I know they are going to want to at least see Wishes and Illuminations. Suggestions for viewing those in less crowded spots (doesn't have to be the most perfect spot). Also, for Illuminations, thought about getting dinner reservations at the newer Hacienda de San Angel (I think that's what it's called). Is that a good enough view for Illuminations? We are staying at Boardwalk, so we can go out that back entrance, I think that will help? Ideas? Suggestions? Esp for Wishes, thanks!

For anything at MK I love watch them from behind the castle. It's never horribly crowded and a few times we were able to jump right on 7DMT with minimal wait (but the sign will not say that). Also the electric parade will generally be close to starting by the time you get back around if it's the earlier fireworks time your seeing (assuming it's a day with more than 1). If you've never done it, it's also a 360 view of fireworks around you, especially if it's a special event firework. I usually recommend in front of the castle (you can fast pass the fireworks) if you've never seen it or behind if you have. You can't see the projected images on the castle from behind so if you want the whole show, it's the front you want.

For Epcot, everyone mass exits even if the park is opened longer after illuminations. We're not a huge fan of these but when we do see it, we like to be in the back somewhere around japan or italy. You can actually see the MK fireworks in the background and they are timed really well for the low period when the global is floating out. We didn't plan this but 1 time we ended up watching illuminations and then went into a dinner reservation just after. It was great because when we left, there was about 50 people total in the park and we had it all to ourselves, and a few buses standing by to quickly get everyone left to where they needed to go. It's probably impossible to plan this, but alone in the park can be some memorable moments and great photos.

Thank you for that reply Accident, I have noted your suggestions in my plans!!

Another choice, although it cost, is to do one of the firework cruises. You rent a pontoon, Disney provides the captain and you are on the water for the fireworks. I did this a few years ago with friends and have booked it for my Oct trip.

Like someone else mentioned, if you want minimal crowds for Wishes, behind Cinderella Castle is the place to be. We watched Wishes from between BOG and 7DMT last trip. Downside if you're in a hurry to leave after fireworks is that you're behind everyone who was watching on Main Street.

Illuminations is different, you can get a good view anywhere around the lake. We used to always watch from Canada, which is spot closest to the globe, but on last trip we came out of dinner in Italy right before show started, and watched right there. Main thing to think about is the direction of the wind. More people will be exiting out the front of Epcot after the fireworks. I have not eaten at the new restaurant in Mexico, but from what I understand there is no guarantee you will have a clear view of the fireworks.

Thanks for the advice! We have watched from behind castle before, I am not opposed to doing that however. My in-laws have never been so I want them to see (esp their little girl) everything. So we'll probably have to suck it up and watch from the front. Oh -- don't know if they normally do this or not but last January we were around Casey's corner and somewhere back by the restrooms and they opened up an exit door, we went "behind the scenes" where they had all the parade stuff set up it was like a back way and brought us out where the buses pick up. They were in full on Hub construction then, so I'm wondering if that's why they did it. Anyway, perhaps we'll hang out there and see if we can get lucky again ;)

Oh -- don't know if they normally do this or not but last January we were around Casey's corner and somewhere back by the restrooms and they opened up an exit door, we went "behind the scenes" where they had all the parade stuff set up it was like a back way and brought us out where the buses pick up. They were in full on Hub construction then, so I'm wondering if that's why they did it. Anyway, perhaps we'll hang out there and see if we can get lucky again ;)

On our April trip, they had a door open near the Plaza (other door by Tony's), we used it both entering and exiting MK in the evening, assume it is to facilitate crowds exiting the park while parade/fireworks are going on. CMs were also being very strict about keeping walkways clear, for example they weren't allowing anyone to stop in front or behind the Wishes FP corrals.

I've seen the doors on both sides of main street opened in the past. I think it depends on capacity of the park and how many people they are expecting to suddenly rush main street. I've also seen them opened earlier during another parade to help get from the entrance to tomorrowland (closer to that section where the desert party is, I forgot the official name but bathrooms there also)

The opening of the "Back Doors" is normal to help with the exiting (or entering) crowds after fireworks. I did the KTTK Tour last time (Nov 2014) and actually asked about this. They are, however, going to (or are at least planning to) make it look less "Back Stage" and make it more "Disney" because they really do not like to reveal the "Magic" to the public.

As for a good viewing spot, a "Side" View of the castle (Cosmic Rays side) isn't bad either. You get the Video on the castle and while it's still crowded, it's not as bad as main street. We ended up there one year and it really wasn't that bad at all.

Another choice, although it cost, is to do one of the firework cruises. You rent a pontoon, Disney provides the captain and you are on the water for the fireworks. I did this a few years ago with friends and have booked it for my Oct trip.

Does anyone know what the name of the cruise is called? I can't remember it. That would be perfect for my parents.

Has anyone seen the Wishes from Tomorroland terrace? I´m considering to do it this year. Looks like far away from the crowds but also far from the show... Yet I´m going to Disney for the first time with my two little kids and I´m considering that they will be more than exaust. So, watch the fireworks eating deserves and not standing up for a long time looks like a good idea...

I'm 90% certain that's where the fireworks dessert party is and closed to anyone that didn't pay for it. I have watched near it closer to the plaza restaurant before and it was a great view but that was early on in the hub construction so not sure about obstructions right now.

Has anyone seen the Wishes from Tomorroland terrace? I´m considering to do it this year. Looks like far away from the crowds but also far from the show... Yet I´m going to Disney for the first time with my two little kids and I´m considering that they will be more than exaust. So, watch the fireworks eating deserves and not standing up for a long time looks like a good idea...
The dessert party can be crowded. I will never do it again. The fireworks are to the side of the castle from this angle. People won't watch their kids. We had a table by a railing and people crowded between the table and railing. We had to work to get a good viewing spot after that. Not enjoyable at all. If I could ever book this as adult only I would reconsider.

For Illuminations last year we had dinner at Rose and Crown Pub and our waiter ushered us into a blocked off area for viewing the fireworks. We had a completely unobstructed view. I'm very short and can be slightly ornery when it comes to the fireworks :rolleyes1 since visibility is always an issue and people can be very inconsiderate. This was by far the best fireworks experience I've had so I'm a little miffed my mother wants to try somewhere else for dinner, lol.

If I book R and C at around 7:30 will they let us wait for a waterside table?

If I book R and C at around 7:30 will they let us wait for a waterside table?

That's what we did. We showed up maybe 15 minutes beforehand and asked if we could sit outside by the water. They will typically do their best to accommodate requests. We couldn't see the fireworks too well from our actual table however, as I mentioned, our waiter did walk us to another section where we had a much better view of the fireworks.

Another nice thing was that they gave us pagers so while we waited for our table we could walk around outside and into some of the shops. They told us to be back by the restaurant within a certain timeframe so our pager would go off.

The most enjoyable viewing of Illuminations we have ever had is from La Hacienda. The past 3 visits we have booked a later reservation, around 8-8:15. When you get to the restaurant, you can request a seat right by the windows or they have some elevated booths which allow you to see the show without leaving your seat. At the start, the restaurant dims the lights and the sound is piped in. It's great not having to stake out a spot hours ahead of time and after it ends, you can take your time finishing up your meal while the park clears out.

Sgray: If illuminations is at 9:30, would an 8:45pm reservation be early enough to get a good view or should I keep trying for an earlier time? We are going December 3. Thank you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter