• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best DVC resort days for preschoolers?

pks_domer

Mouseketeer
We're considering taking our kids (who will be 5 and 2) for a short trip the week after Easter (so, 7-month window coming up quickly!). With spring break crowds and kids that little, we may be heavier on resort days than park days-- so which DVC would you recommend for preschoolers in that scenario, and why? Our default (and home resort) is AKV, so that's the easy button. Still, I thought I'd ask the experts for additional perspective. Thanks in advance!

All my boys are in their 20s, but they always wanted to stay at BCV due to that awesome pool. But it was never available at the 7 month mark. My boys loved the Poly before we became DVC members. Now they have the studios.
The Poly is a fun environment for kids.

If you have daughters the VGF is beautiful and they have a nice family pool and splash area. Girls really like the princess nature of the Grand.

Saratoga Springs is a great spot to be close to DS, their are a couple of sections with some great pools.

It’s a hard call all DVC resorts are so different and your home resort is a favorite of course with kids. Good luck.😎👍🏻✨💫

I went this spring with a 6 year old and 3 year old and stayed at SSR. They loved it...Disney Springs, the water playground, a smaller slide at one of the pools, there is a playground, we rented a Surrey bike, they colored magnets at community hall, and we took a boat ride to POR. The only negative is if you need to rely on bus transportation for park days.

I would normally say BCV, but with kids that age I think it might be too much. However, if you are already great swimmers, not an issue so long as you are with them to supervise. We went to BCV last April for a long weekend right before Easter. My kids did love the pool but mainly played in the sand (ages 8 and 4).

I would say your home resort is great. My kids love the whole vibe of that place!

Otherwise, if you could do a monorail, I would try that. It would be fun for them to just walk around or take monorail. You may be in time to visit the fancy Easter eggs at the resorts! Not sure when they take them down.

stormalong bay is great for kids that age if they are likely to sit and play in the sand pool.

if they are explorers or runners, the rest of SAB is basically a unexpectedly complex network of randomly deep and somewhat scary water features, and i would choose a simpler pool.

stormalong bay is great for kids that age if they are likely to sit and play in the sand pool.

if they are explorers or runners, the rest of SAB is basically a unexpectedly complex network of randomly deep and somewhat scary water features, and i would choose a simpler pool.
I'm not the OP, but for my family, we are waiting until they are older before we do BCV for that reason. My kids love the little water playgrounds/splash pads with slides, so SSR, VGF, PVB, and WL are the ones we are focusing on until my oldest reaches that 48 in limit on the kiddie play areas.

Old key west has a great pool, slide, lots of community room activities, tennis courts for something fun for kids and excellent pool entertainment staff. The pool and recreation area is very self contained and easy to get around. You can take boat to Disney springs.

Does OKW now have a zero entry pool? It didn't in the past. When we're traveling with our non-swimmer toddler grandkids, their parents all prefer a zero entry pool area to the older-style kiddie pools. Really nice splash pad zones are great too.

My 5 year old is obsessed with the poly splash pad! She says it’s the best pool in the « whole wide world! »
The slide is just the right length for her and she would climb up and slide all day if we let her!
Plus the views of the fireworks from the beach are awesome (we love to put the kids in their pjs, light up fluorescent bracelets from the dollar store while we wait and enjoy a drink, then watch the fireworks from the beach!)
And two bathrooms in the studios is great with kids!
Plus you get amazing food, monorail, boat, dole whips… you can’t go wrong! Love love love the poly ❤️

^^ spot on...

We went to BCV when my kids were under 2 and about 5. Older kid was already a decent swimmer and wanted to go down the big slide (for which you have to leave the SAB pool area). So one parent did that with her. Toddler enjoyed toddling in the sandy shallow area which was waist deep for her, but she was so unsteady she'd just fall under water and she thought it was hilarious if I would pull her up. So, not great, not calming, not good for family time because we weren't anywhere near each other.

Finally last week my kids enjoyed all of the aspects of the pool, including the all-deep lazy river. They are both strong swimmers. Even so, my 11yo said she preferred VGF.

If it were up to me:
You can't go wrong with AKV - it has two terrific pools and a freakin' savanna, and so much more.
But otherwise, VGF has a fun splash pad area and it is right next to the feature pool. The slide isn't nearly as good as SAB, but it's a good area with decent shade and is not randomly deep with somewhat scary water features.
I also really enjoy the boardwalk, and the lawn is a really fun place for the kids to play.
Poly is also lovely.

Consider walking around the resort with little legs, unless you'd just take a stroller everywhere. Saratoga and OKW in particular can be more walking to quick service, nicer pools, etc. AKL to a lesser extent. Boardwalk can be a longer walk way in the back but I would rule it oit, id just request closr to lobby. Poly, VGF, BC, and WL are all alright. I think the compactness of BLT and Riviera are underestimated benefits, and I'd give the edge to Riviera because BLT requires visiting the main contemporary building for more dining, buses, etc. At Riviera, Mom/dad wants to run down to grab a drink, mug refill, or ready mobile order? Back in less than 5 minutes. My kids loved the Riviera splash pad and older one loved the main slide by age 5. Toddlers are also loved the skyliner. My kids also enjoyed taking the skyliner to Art of Animation and just walking around the resort.

ETA: You mentioned resort stay so I'd also consider resorts with activity centers (I forget the name). There are good ones at BLT, Jambo, and Kidani. BW and OKW have them but they're not as nice, imo. Riviera I believe has a makeshift one with most of the same activities, I just don't think it was intentionally designed and carved out as dedicated space.

Not sure of how you are thinking meal time will happen but for a heavy resort time vacation I like to consider the menus at the resort for the kiddos. Nothing is worse than having them eat the same thing over and over again.

Does OKW now have a zero entry pool? It didn't in the past. When we're traveling with our non-swimmer toddler grandkids, their parents all prefer a zero entry pool area to the older-style kiddie pools. Really nice splash pad zones are great too.
It does not.

Not sure of how you are thinking meal time will happen but for a heavy resort time vacation I like to consider the menus at the resort for the kiddos. Nothing is worse than having them eat the same thing over and over again.
@Doberge ’s comments about Riviera had me thinking about this as well … (one of our home resorts) - the feature pool area is great for young children since it is very compact, and so easy to pick up a meal at the quick serve and eat at or near the pool. There are games and swings in the back area as well. And thinking about the food: from the QS, my kids would eat the pasta kids meal over and over again (it is REALLY good), and I would eat the tuna niçoise over and over.

Last edited:
If it were up to me:
You can't go wrong with AKV - it has two terrific pools and a freakin' savanna, and so much more.
But otherwise, VGF has a fun splash pad area and it is right next to the feature pool. The slide isn't nearly as good as SAB, but it's a good area with decent shade and is not randomly deep with somewhat scary water features.
I also really enjoy the boardwalk, and the lawn is a really fun place for the kids to play.
Poly is also lovely.
I agree with all of this. We own at BWV and PVB and my 6 and 9 yo girls love both. We had an opportunity to stay at OKW, BVW and AKV - K last month and my girls LOVED AKV. We may be going back there or GFV for my 9 yo's BDAY next year (depending on what she chooses).

Old key west has a great pool, slide, lots of community room activities, tennis courts for something fun for kids and excellent pool entertainment staff. The pool and recreation area is very self contained and easy to get around. You can take boat to Disney springs.
We took our DGs to OKW when they were 4 and 2, one thing they loved was the balcony with the big table and chairs. They could sit out there in the morning, eating their breakfast, watching the scenery. They have a back porch at home, but naturally, the Disney balcony is better. A few years later we went back and stayed at Kidani, but they missed the big balcony and table. And the boat to DS. It's funny what little kids like. When DS was 4, he kept wanting to go back to the room to watch the Disney Channel (this was way back in the days when not everyone had it).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter