Best Disneyland Restaurants for value - wwyd?

lovethesun12

DIS Veteran
I think I'm having more trouble figuring out where to eat when we go here than anything else.

I think our days of character dining are over. We are a family of 4 (the 10 year old is now changing the pricing, lol) , and when I look at prices of upwards of $300 for a meal (with tax and tip), I just can't see the value in it anymore (we are WDW vets, prices are generally the same there). I mean we could do it, it just doesn't seem worth that cost when we aren't big eaters (I don't think we've ever spent more than $70 at a restaurant outside Disney).

We are there for 8 nights, this is our first every visit and quite possibly our last. Right now we have reservations at:
1) Goofy's Kitchen
2) Plaza Inn
3) Blue Bayou (my child's birthday dinner)
4) Storytellers (planning world of colour package)
5) Lamplight lounge

Any suggestions on what to keep, what to drop, and any cheaper (healthy-ish) restaurants we might add in place? I'm thinking I'd definitely like to drop Storyteller's, but worried how hard it will be to see world of color without it.

I think I'm having more trouble figuring out where to eat when we go here than anything else.

I think our days of character dining are over. We are a family of 4 (the 10 year old is now changing the pricing, lol) , and when I look at prices of upwards of $300 for a meal (with tax and tip), I just can't see the value in it anymore (we are WDW vets, prices are generally the same there). I mean we could do it, it just doesn't seem worth that cost when we aren't big eaters (I don't think we've ever spent more than $70 at a restaurant outside Disney).

We are there for 8 nights, this is our first every visit and quite possibly our last. Right now we have reservations at:
1) Goofy's Kitchen
2) Plaza Inn
5) Lamplight lounge

Any suggestions on what to keep, what to drop, and any cheaper (healthy-ish) restaurants we might add in place? I'm thinking I'd definitely like to drop Storyteller's, but worried how hard it will be to see world of color without it.
My suggestion is to do the World of Color dessert party..drop Storytellers and Goofy. Look at Cafe Orelans. Keep Plaza Inn, Blue Bayou and Lamplight. The counter service places are good at DL. Look into Carnation Cafe as well.

The best value is taking an afternoon break and ordering from UberEats at your hotel.
This is a great idea. I am from a rural area (in a different country) and while we have ubereats in the more urban areas here, it isn't something I ever would have though of.

Unless you like the food, I would skip both Goofy's Kitchen and Storytellers. Disneyland has lots of characters roaming the parks. If you are here for 8 days, I would meet the characters in the park rather than at a meal. While Toontown lines for Mickey & Minnie are long and slow, you'll find them both on Main Street and Buena Vista Street with shorter lines and Photo Pass photographers.

Edit: One of the cheaper meals in DLR is Rancho del Zocalo - a half chicken is $14.99, while at Cafe Orleans, the chicken is $24. The pizza and nachos at Craftsman Grill in GCH are large portions. They are easily sharable for 2-3 people.

Last edited:
My suggestion is to do the World of Color dessert party..drop Storytellers and Goofy. Look at Cafe Orelans. Keep Plaza Inn, Blue Bayou and Lamplight. The counter service places are good at DL. Look into Carnation Cafe as well.
Awesome! Great suggestions, thanks!

The only thing that was keeping me from the dessert party is that we don't ever really eat dessert, lol.

This is a great idea. I am from a rural area (in a different country) and while we have ubereats in the more urban areas here, it isn't something I ever would have though of.
I'd suggest checking out the counter service places in DL and DCA, and also the various restaurants in Downtown Disney. If you can find reasonably priced foods to your liking there, it would save you the service charges on a delivered meal.

I would definitely keep the Lamplight reservation. When we went it had a great atmosphere, lively, along with a cool view of the water. It was just two of us and we got a great spot at the bar.
I guessing you can ask to be seated by the water when you check in but not 100% sure. I am sure some of the Lamplight veterans can chime in with their experiences.

I'd knock off Blue Bayou (just ride Pirates for the atmosphere). BB is a colossal value ripoff.

I'd also drop Goofy's.

I'd switch Storytellers to Brunch. Better food than dinner. You don't need a package for World of Color. I love the character brunch here. It's a great way to meet the 4 best Characters (IMO) without having to stand in lines outside.

What is the Plaza Inn reservation? I'd drop that also and just eat there with their regular menu. The "special menu" food isn't great there. The basic fried chicken platter is the winner, and you don't get that during the special menus.

Keep Lamplight Lounge.

My recommendation is to stick with mostly counter service at Disneyland Resort. It's SO good. Much of it is TS level food (compared to WDW).

1) Goofy's Kitchen
2) Plaza Inn
5) Lamplight lounge

I'd drop Blue Bayou if it weren't for the special occasion. Between that and Storytellers I'd rate them about even so pick one. I think there is a real benefit to the World of Color package so maybe keep Storytellers?

The Plaza inn is nice during a park day but I'm not sure the value is there.

I'm just going to agree with almost everything DLgal said EXCEPT about Blue Bayou It's my very favorite restaurant in DLR, and I love the atmosphere. Be sure to ask for a waterside table when you check in and be willing to wait for it. They'll almost always tell you it could be an hour but I've never had to wait very long.

I'd switch Storytellers to Brunch. Better food than dinner. You don't need a package for World of Color.
Is that true for the first showing of WoC? I thought I'd heard that those virtual queue reservations go quickly. And with young children, lovethesun's family may not be able to stay up late enough for the second show.

I like the Ubereats idea if you are staying on property. It’s always charming to eat by the hotel pool or the fun outdoor areas. Even a picnic on the balcony. Get out of the masses and enjoy the Disney bubble at the resort property.

I’m personally not a huge fan of any of the park restaurants that you’ve chosen and can absolutely see WOC w/o a package. Especially if you see the 2nd show.

The character interactions at DLR are amazing. You’ll see them immediately entering the tunnels or even as you scan in at the turnstiles. Many times there is a princess in front of the big Mickey landscape.

Have a great time at Walt’s original park!

Naples is pretty inexpensive comparatively. Love it!

Yes! Love Naples! The Downtown Disney restaurants and the ones inside GCH are all better than the TS in the parks, Lamplight excepted.

There is even the new Earl of Sandwich Tavern which us a TS and looks great! Decent pricing there too.

Awesome! Great suggestions, thanks!

The only thing that was keeping me from the dessert party is that we don't ever really eat dessert, lol.
The desserts are yummy but simple, like cookies and a mini bundt cake. You also get fruit, crackers, cheese and drinks. It's so nice having seats with a view.

You've been given alot of great ideas already, but some other options are:

Hungry Bear
Red Rose Tavern
Jolly Holiday
Craftsman Grill at the Grand Californian
Alien Pizza Planet

At DCA - Pym's is great
Lots of good places to eat at Pacific Wharf

If you're only doing 1 character meal I'd go with something you can do on a non park day, like Goofy's. Plaza Inn breakfast looks great, but takes up park time.

Blue Bayou is really unique, so I'd keep that one especially since it's for a special occasion.

If you haven't already, take a look at the menus for the restaurants you're considering. That will give you a much better idea about what's worth keeping or not.

Is that true for the first showing of WoC? I thought I'd heard that those virtual queue reservations go quickly. And with young children, lovethesun's family may not be able to stay up late enough for the second show.

We are at DCA often when the first WOC show starts and I haven't seen the viewing areas "full" in months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter