Best Credit Card for a DVC Owner/FL Resident

Lunchbox66

Earning My Ears
We just bought into DVC and I've been researching which card would have to best perks for my given situation. I'm military so I do get the discounted tickets and don't go often enough to where an annual pass (if they ever come back) would surpass my military ticket price. We also live in FL and plan to mostly be within a 6 hr drive of Disney for the foreseeable future, making airline discounts a non-factor. And obviously being DVC we don't need any points for discounts on hotel stay prices. I'm pretty much looking for the most bang for my buck on merchandise and dining discounts while there, as those are always our two biggest expenses. I do already have an AMEX Platinum which is a great overall travel card but I use it mostly for flights or hotels which again are a non-factor now at Disney.

I know a lot of people get the Chase Sapphire card but it seems like the Disney Visa would be better for me with the 2% points on restaurants, gas, and groceries toward Disney merchandise. Every article I find online is geared toward someone who needs airfare and is paying cash for a hotel. Any inputs are appreciated.

As a note I do not ever carry a balance on my cards so interest rates are not relevant.

Reading your post, I was already thinking Disney Visa before you mentioned it. You don't need most of the benefits of the "travel" CCs, and the Premium Disney Visa would give you that 2% on Disney expenditures and others. The down side to the Disney Visa is you can only use the rewards on Disney stuff - but that includes DVC dues, which is where our Disney Visa Rewards go!

We just bought into DVC and I've been researching which card would have to best perks for my given situation. I'm military so I do get the discounted tickets and don't go often enough to where an annual pass (if they ever come back) would surpass my military ticket price. We also live in FL and plan to mostly be within a 6 hr drive of Disney for the foreseeable future, making airline discounts a non-factor. And obviously being DVC we don't need any points for discounts on hotel stay prices. I'm pretty much looking for the most bang for my buck on merchandise and dining discounts while there, as those are always our two biggest expenses. I do already have an AMEX Platinum which is a great overall travel card but I use it mostly for flights or hotels which again are a non-factor now at Disney.

I know a lot of people get the Chase Sapphire card but it seems like the Disney Visa would be better for me with the 2% points on restaurants, gas, and groceries toward Disney merchandise. Every article I find online is geared toward someone who needs airfare and is paying cash for a hotel. Any inputs are appreciated.

As a note I do not ever carry a balance on my cards so interest rates are not relevant.
IMO, the Disney Visa is one of the worst rewards cards out there. Certainly not worth paying an annual fee in order to get a paltry 2% back on select categories. You would have to charge $2450 in those select categories every year just to break even.

I prefer rewards cards that give cash back instead of a card that limits you as to where you can use your rewards. It's just as easy to use that rewards cash to pay for souvenirs, meals and experiences as it is to use the Disney Rewards. In fact, I'd argue that it's easier.

I suggest looking into the Discover IT card...no annual fee, 1% cash back on only purchases, quarterly rotating bonus categories for 5% back (grocery stores this quarter, gas stations next quarter, etc.)

Another no-fee option would be one of the Chase Freedom credit cards. The rewards vary depending on which one you choose. The Freedom Flex offers rotating bonus categories while the Freedom Unlimited has a fixed 1.5% back on all purchases with 3% back on dining and drugstores.

Then there's the CapitalOne Quicksilver card. It's also no-fee and has a flat, unlimited 1.5% cash back.

You might also want to explore the I Love Credit Cards thread on the Budget Board. I'm sure that they can point you in the direction of a card that will best suit your purposes.

I have had the Disney Reward card for many years.
In my head these are bonus dollars for Disney! Cute little reward card etc.

However use is very limited … Just Disney and airline credit. Not even a statement credit.
IMO only real benefit is 6 month interest free Disney vacation and or add on points.

I don’t do either anymore.( not adding on and I have an AP)

Chase's ultimate rewards program is pretty good overall, but what I like about it is there are many cards in the program with no annual fee, and the rewards are really flexible. You can do better in certain categories with other cards, but I feel Chase is pretty good for most things so it's easy of you're not one to maximize every category.

I tried to make the Disney card make sense, but it never worked for me in my mind.

Here's a couple to research, both require some hoops to jump thru:

Costco membership gets you 4% on gas, 3% on travel and restaurants, 2% at Costco, 1% on all else - https://www.nerdwallet.com/card-det...star-rating&trk_pagetype&trk_sectionCategory#

And credit union membership and a checking account with minimum $1k balance gets you an amazing 2.5% back on all purchases. Alliant will actually pay interest on that checking balance and they have some of the highest savings account rates too - https://www.nerdwallet.com/reviews/credit-cards/alliant-cashback

Check out the Doctor for some great lists on every card:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/credit-cards/best-credit-cards/

I will add that as active duty military I get annual fees waived through AMEX and Chase. I already have the AMEX Platinum because of that, but was considering the Chase Sapphire Preferred or Reserve for the cash back as an option as well.

I will add that as active duty military I get annual fees waived through AMEX and Chase. I already have the AMEX Platinum because of that, but was considering the Chase Sapphire Preferred or Reserve for the cash back as an option as well.
What annual fees are waived as active military member?
DVC fees?
BTW I think active military members should go for free so I’m all for it!!
Thanks
Edit…
I just realized your taking CC fees?

What annual fees are waived as active military member?
DVC fees?
BTW I think active military members should go for free so I’m all for it!!
Thanks
Edit…
I just realized your taking CC fees?

Any annual cardholder fees through AMEX or Chase are waived. So I would not pay the required annual fee on the Chase Sapphire or Preferred card and do not pay the $695 annual fee for my AMEX platinum, hence the only reason I have the card.

Last edited:
if annual fee is a non-factor, i'd suggest Chase Sapphire Reserve. Set it up as your default payment in your Disney account, next time go there, charge everything to room (resturants, gift shops, ice cream, coke, beer, whatever), which will be recorded as Travel in your statement. Reserve card earns 3% back on travel, basically 3 ultimate rewards points per dollar spent. You can transfer your point to many different partners, or just do 'pay yourself back' (statement credit), each point worths 1.5 cents. Now everything you pay at Disney has a minimum 4.5% discount.

Hands down, Chase cards. Specifically Freedom Unlimited, or if the fee isn't hard to justify the Sapphire Reserve. I have both and it is a proverbial " cash cow " for rewards when used to maximize point earnings.

I recommend the Citi Double Cash Mastercard. No AF and you get 2% cash back on everything and you just use it as a statement credit.

Since you already don’t have to pay an AF with Amex, you should sign up for the gold card and get 4x points on grocery stores (great for buying gift cards) and dining and the green card to get 3x points on travel.

Chase Freedom. Very few probably eat out more than my wife and me, and this card with no annual fee payed 3% at restaurants. Not kidding when I say I’m just short of $200 per month in rewards.
Yes, we eat & drink well.

Citi Double Cash and Wells Fargo Active Cash both earn 2% on EVERY purchase, not just limited categories. They're the best all purpose cards out there with no annual fee.

I get the most rewards on my Amazon Prime Visa (5% at Amazon) and the American Express Blue Cash Preferred (6% on groceries, $95 annual fee).

Last edited:
Chase Freedom. Very few probably eat out more than my wife and me, and this card with no annual fee payed 3% at restaurants. Not kidding when I say I’m just short of $200 per month in rewards.
Yes, we eat & drink well.
Chase Freedom is no longer available to new applicants. Chase Freedom Flex and Freedom Unlimited are the new products. Very similar.

I didn't see where anyone mentioned the in park discounts for the Disney Visa. It is a Chase card so the annual fee would be waved per your other comments. So even if you are not using it for rewards, it is probably worth having to get the discounts at Disney itself. It is similar discounts to those for direct DVC blue card holders or annual pass holders so you wouldn't see any benefit of you have those available.

If you are a member of Costco other's nothing better than their Citi card. You get 2% back from Costco as a rewards check on your anniversary of membership ,as well as cash back from Citi based on what you spend in Feb or March. It's a win-win.

I like my AMEX Blue Preferred for the 6% CB at Supermarkets (up to $6k in purchases annually) and Streaming. It's 3% back at gas stations and rideshares. I usually buy Disney GC's at the grocery store when they have 4x points promotions and it really adds up. It's a $99 annual fee but you mentioned you get that waived for being active Military.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter