• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best Console Generation EVER

Agreed, the number of games that either started on those systems or had their best versions on those systems is amazing. Add in the technological advances that each of them ushered in, from DVD playback to hard drives to networking.

The Gamecube was my first video game console, so my extreme bias says that you're 100% correct.

So many amazing Nintendo franchises had their start or had excellent entries on the Gamecube.

Agreed, the number of games that either started on those systems or had their best versions on those systems is amazing. Add in the technological advances that each of them ushered in, from DVD playback to hard drives to networking.
The thing is, each console was intriguing in its own way with excellent games and quirky designs. Everything since has just been a hand-me-down from this generation. Now we have the PS5, Xbox Series X and Switch - mostly they just make me feel, "meh".

I dunno man, I mean Third Gen or Fourth Gen just have too many classics. Well, for Thrid Gen I guess I'm really only talking about the NES because, I mean, it pretty much was the big dog, but then you had the SNES/Genesis rivalry which just produced so much greatness!

I dunno man, I mean Third Gen or Fourth Gen just have too many classics. Well, for Thrid Gen I guess I'm really only talking about the NES because, I mean, it pretty much was the big dog, but then you had the SNES/Genesis rivalry which just produced so much greatness!

I'll grudgingly grant you that the SNES/Genesis generation is up there with my favourite gen... Mario and Sonic yay!

This is interesting. One of my neighbors just posted that they have
a lot of gamecube games and wanted to know if anyone played them now.

Age identifier, but Intellevision was ground breaking in it's time. A speech adapter that plugged into the console so some games could have synthetic human voices?

This is interesting. One of my neighbors just posted that they have
a lot of gamecube games and wanted to know if anyone played them now.

Some of them can be a bit valuable.

No love for the PS1/N64 generation? lol.

I mean, I love my N64, however a lot of games in that era don't hold up that well. That early 3D stuff can be pretty rough around the edges. There are stand-outs, Super Mario 64 for example, but some just weren't quite there. Like early Tomb Raider or Resident Evil - they didn't really hit their stride until the next console generation, when the power caught up to the vision.

Last edited:
Some of them can be a bit valuable.

I mena, I love my N64, however a lot of games in that era don't hold up that well. That early 3D stuff can be pretty rough around the edges. There are stand-outs, Super Mario 64 for example, but some just weren't quite there. Like early Tomb Raider or Resident Evil - they didn't really hit their stride until the next console generation, when the power caught up to the vision.
Some of the more "rare" Gamecube games can go for over $200 WITHOUT the case or manual. Just the disc.

Even something like Smash Bros. Melee isn't going for anything under $70 these days.

definitely agree with that generation, with SNES/Genesis era very close behind

There are pros and cons to every game console we've ever experienced or owned. @hertamaniac noted Intellivision. My aunt and uncle had one. I was young and most of the games went over my head, but I have vivid memories of playing Snafu on it when I'd spend the night. I think nostalgia sometimes is more powerful than the overall console quality. I can't recall if we had a PS1 or a PS2, but whatever it was, it was infinitely better (to us) than the PS3. We stepped back from keeping up with new systems after getting a couple of XBox One Xs.

What's really funny, DD15 found all of our old Wii stuff and she's been playing that on nearly a daily basis... when it doesn't conflict with ball. Our house is now regularly filled with the sweet music of Mario and his many games.

Some of the more "rare" Gamecube games can go for over $200 WITHOUT the case or manual. Just the disc.

Even something like Smash Bros. Melee isn't going for anything under $70 these days.
You're right. Gamecube games COULD fetch a small fortune, especially if they're in good condition.

I was OK with the Saturn/PSOne/N64 Generation, as I was with the PS3/Xbox 360/Wii generation, but the Xbox Series products and PS5 just strike me as big computers, without the flexibility.

No doubt that the early years of porting an arcade game to a home console was a fundamental shift. It allowed us to play the arcade at home. It was a wonderful time. Or so I thought for many adolescent years.

It actually was a driver to isolate teens getting together in larger group settings to become pods of video game affectionatos. And these were often filtered by group association.

The arcades sort of shielded that in that most just merely blended them together without recognizing a theme.

I look at today's pinball and arcade museums and often think, what a great social gathering it was before being put out to pasture.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter