• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best Concert Ever

Styx 9/11/99 at the Las Vegas Hilton. It was Tommy Shaw’s birthday and I was able to upgrade my ticket right before show time from front row in the mezzanine to sitting on the side of the stage. It was amazing!

I'm not a concert person, so when friends go, I usually tell them to have fun. But one time I regret not being able to join friends to a concert, was Hans Zimmer's concert. That man has written so many awesome movie scores, I really would go when it comes back. To my friends, this is up in their best concerts ever.

There were 3 concerts in my lifetime that, to me, were all equally incredible!

1995 Rolling Stones - Voodoo Lounge Tour - at Giants Stadium (I was in High School!)

2009 Paul McCartney - Summer Live Tour - at Citi Field

2016 Paul McCartney - One on One - at Citi Field

Hard to choose! Prince - The Purple Rain tour, Michael Jackson - the Thriller tour, Paul Simon - the Graceland Tour, Barbara Streisand - her "final" tour. The Police - Synchronicity tour and another vote for Garth Brooks!

I went to a beach boys concert around 1985. My friend found a workers patch/badge on the ground. There were about 6 of us. He would go to the Budweiser truck and say something like, " tent 2 needs two cases of bud light" and they would give it to him. He would bring it over to us and we drank it down. He probably did that 2 or 3 times over the course of the afternoon and evening. Great way to meet chicks too.

U2, early 1990's Zooropa tour at the LA Coliseum. Amazing!

Last edited:
One of the most fun concerts I saw was The Polyphonic Spree. Front row. Boat loads of un.

My very first concert which ruined all other concerts for me. U2 in 1981 at the Orpheum Theatre in Boston. The energy and emotion of Bono running all around the 2,700 seat theater, climbing on amps and up to the balcony was unlike anything I'd seen before or since. That shows version of I will follow just blew me away.

MY 2nd concert J Geils Freeze Frame at the Garden was slightly less memorable :-)

U2 innocence & experience tour on 7/31/2015 at MSG. My sis & I had GA tix so we were right in the mix of it. Bruce Springsteen was the special guest...he's the other performer we've seen a dozen time together. It was like our worlds collided. <3

It was one of the best nights of my life (excluding real life occasions like getting engaged, married, etc).

Billy Joel 'Storm Front' tour, 1990.

We had nose bleed seats towards the top of the arena, but Joel had a habit of buying out all the rows close to the stage so scalpers wouldn't get them and then handing the tickets out to random fans before the show. We lucked out and ended up sitting four rows away from the stage!! :D Every once in a while he'd look over at our row and we'd all scream and he smiled. His last song was "Piano Man" and the whole arena sang the last chorus to him. It was awesome!

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more. I loved that show. I have seen Metallica three times live that was the best one and probably the best concert I have seen.
I went last September to San Fran for S&M2. Great but no comparison to the original.

Gotta be a tie for me - two different areas in my life:
August 1976 The Ramones at the Starwood in Los Angeles
April 2013 Sparks in the Masonic Temple at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery.

This is a spin-off of the "Song Blew Me Away" and "What Are You Listening To" threads. Unfortunately, I did not actually attend this concert, but I've enjoyed it on YouTube.

The artist is Avicii, a Swedish EDM artist, and the event is a tribute concert in Stockholm following his tragic suicide. It was quite a tribute! The concert video is a little over 2 hours, but if you like music it is worth watching from start to finish.

So -- one might very well ask -- how does an old fart like JimMIA even become aware of EDM, much less like it???

Long story, but I'll give the very abbreviated version. I quit my part time retirement job in February 2016, and by about the end of March I got incredibly bored. So I did what many retirees have done, I began driving part time for Uber just to have something to do.

Miami has a lot of festivals during tourist season, and one of those festivals is the Ultra Music Festival. So, one morning I got a ride request from a hotel in Miami Beach and picked up a nice young Swedish guy with a weird Uber nickname: Avicii. I drove him to the Ultra venue and on the ride I asked if he was performing. He lied and said no, he was just going to help a friend with a sound check.

He wasn't offended that I had no idea who he was; I think he was actually a little amused because he was one of the headliners for the whole 3 day festival! We had a nice conversation and I dropped him off at Bayfront Park. Nice guy.

I didn't think about the insignificant ride until 2 years later when I read a news story about someone named "Avicii" committing suicide. I looked at the story and was immediately saddened to see his picture. It was only then that I made the connection, but still didn't know anything about his music. For the record, Avicii was his stage name; his real name was Tim Bergling.

Google and YouTube are your friends, so I checked out some videos and discovered an amazing talent. Gone way too soon, but he left behind a legacy of some of the best music I've ever enjoyed -- and I like pretty much all music.

SO...all that said -- here's a link to the entire concert, and then I'm going to also link 4 highlights from the concert to show the incredible variety of Tim's music:

And here are a few samples:

Without You -- vocal by Sandro Cavazza
-- If you are going to pick one song to start off a concert, this is a pretty good choice. I apologize for the one bad word, but this is today's music and you probably won't notice it. Sandro Cavazza is a Swedish singer of Italian descent, and he definitely wakes up the audience.

Ten More Days -- vocal by Zak Abel -- Zak Abel is an English singer who was born in Morocco and lived most of his childhood in Israel. If you can imagine a 14 year-old Blues singer, that's what Zak Abel looks like. (he's actually 25) And of course, he was also a national table tennis champion. But listen.

Hey Brother -- vocal by Dan Tyminsky -- Okay, a rockish break up song, a Blues number, what's next? Country, of course -- I mean the guy is Swedish! Dan Tyminsky is an American country singer and songwriter. Background vocals are by Vargas and Lagola

And finally, Heart Upon My Sleeve -- vocal by Lucas Kruger -- Lucas Kruger is a Swedish actor/singer, and was a friend of Tim's since chilldhood -- so this is a very emotional performance. Avicii originally did "Heart Upon My Sleeve" with Imagine Dragons, but Kruger's version is much, much better. At the very end, he says something in Swedish, and if somebody could translate it, that would be great.

[/What a fascinating story! Thanks for sharing-I love to hear things like this.Sorry about his passing....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter