• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

best campsites at fort wilderness

nursecris

Earning My Ears
does anyone know the best sites at the campground. would like quiet and secluded, and without pets. going mid octoberand this will be the first time at fort wilderness. thanks for the help.

Mainly it depends on your equipment since the campsites are different sizes. Prolly tho this question is best asked on the camping board here.

The one we are in :thumbsup2.

Some are better than others, it is just a matter of what you are looking for. We have had sites right next to the road and bus stop and it did not bother us but they might have bothered others.

Some sites are hard for the big rigs to get into, so size does matter. As mentioned you should let them know how big you are and add on some footage if needed. Mention your slides and awnings.

Have fun.

What sort of equipment will you be using? Are you after a partial hookup, non preferred or prefered campsite?

The whole concept of "best" site is very subjective. Some like to be near the marina, some near the pool and meadows complex, some near a comfort station, some near a bus stop. The reality is, there really isn't a "bad" site at FW. I have heard people complain about being too far from a comfort station, but no matter where you are on the loop, you are always pretty close to one. Busses don't go all night, so even if you are near a bus stop, it won't disturb you all night long. Pets are confined to the pet loop, so if pets are an issue just avoid the pet loops when booking. I think really the core issue is whether you want preferred, full hook up or partial hook up, then look for location as far as what you want to be near to - marina, meadows, neither etc. The picture in my signature was taken on the 1900 loop, which is a pet loop but about as secluded as you can get at FW.

What are the loops that tents can be used on? Does anyone have a favorite site for those? :yay:

There are loops that are just for tents and popups, if you want to do that. They are 1500 and 2000. But, tents can be in any loop.

Florida_Mom said:
There are loops that are just for tents and popups, if you want to do that. They are 1500 and 2000. But, tents can be in any loop.

I have never heard this before :confused3 Where is it stated, please, that these loops are for tents and popups? I have a popup, and have never been told I had to stay in a certain loop in any campground.

gardendame said:
I have never heard this before :confused3 Where is it stated, please, that these loops are for tents and popups? I have a popup, and have never been told I had to stay in a certain loop in any campground.

1500 & 2000 loops do not have a sewer hookup, and are a bit smaller, therefore they are set aside for only tents & pop-ups. As was stated earlier, you can put your tent or pop-up in ANY site. Many folks don't want to pay the extra for sewer or sewer & cable if they are only using a tent. That is why many of them use the cheaper 1500 or 2000 loop. The 1500 loop is very close to the trading post, pool, and campfire program

This topic got me thinking. We've never camped at WDW and maybe we'd like to try that on our next trip. We just have a pop-up camper so we wouldn't require a huge spot although we'd like to have water and electricity. Since "best" is relative, I'll phrase the question like this: what are YOUR fav spots? Also, is there a map of the campgroud somewhere online?

QueenofMyCastle said:
This topic got me thinking. We've never camped at WDW and maybe we'd like to try that on our next trip. We just have a pop-up camper so we wouldn't require a huge spot although we'd like to have water and electricity. Since "best" is relative, I'll phrase the question like this: what are YOUR fav spots? Also, is there a map of the campgroud somewhere online?

I also want to know this! We only have a pop-up as well, but I requested loops 100 or 200 for the proximity to the Magic Kingdom launch. Would I do better requesting a less expensive spot?

Here is a link to a map of Ft. Wilderness. If you click on the lower right corner, it will be larger and easier to read.
http://home.hiwaay.net/~jlspence/fwmapnew.jpg

Camping loops 100 through 800 and 1400 are preferred loops. They are closer to the marina and have water, electric, sewer, and cable TV.
Camping loops 900 through 1300 and 1600 through 1900 are full hookup loops. They have water, electric, and sewer.
Camping loops 1500 and 2000 loops are partial hookup loops. They have water and electric only.

Here is a link to the current campsite rates.
http://home.hiwaay.net/~jlspence/fwrates2006.html
The difference between a partial hookup site and a preferred site can be as much as $18.00 per day, depending on the season.

If saving money is not your primary concern, preferred sites will get you closer to the marina or the swimming pool, usually within walking distance. If you need to save money and are not concerned about sewer or cable connections, you will probably have to use the internal Ft. Wilderness busses to get around.

We take the boat to the Magic Kingdom and drive our vehicle to the other parks. Because of this, we like to be close to the marina. We do not enjoy waiting for the internal bus at the end of a long day at the Magic Kingdom and want to be within walking distance of our site.

Whichever way you go, Ft. Wilderness is the best!

We have always stayed in the 1500 loop. It is close to the campfire, pool, trading post. It is also a small loop. I have stayed in 1506 twice and also 1507. But everyone likes something different.

We were happy with 1400 because we were walking distance to the pool and campfire. With 2 little kids we needed to take a bus to the marina and walk from there to the boats.

This was the best thing for us because we like to drive to the parks mostly so didn't need to be walking distance to the marina.

Our specific site was 1439. It was next to the comfort station. The ones next to it (1441? 1443?) were somehwat more private. We didn't mind though.

One thing, we wanted to park our popup on the blacktop, but our electrical cord was too short to reach all the way to the back of the site where the hookup was. The water was all the way in the front, and when the popup was backed onto the sand, the hoses (25 ft?) barely reached. It was a very long site. I had heard suggestions on bringing a long cable (for tv) and long water hoses, but didn't think to bring a special electrical extension cord.

Next time we are considering staying in a full hookup or even partial hookup and renting a golf cart. Overall it costs more that way but we think it would be fun

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter