• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best answers for job interview questions

I was asked the "weakness" question in my last interview (for which I received the job) and my answer was that I feel I am quite "anal" when it comes to my job duties. Yes, I used the word "anal" but only after I had already been talking for a while with the two people who were interviewing with me and knew it would be received well. His response was, "you aren't TOO anal, are you?" and I replied "No, but I sometimes feel that I need to pay extra attention to the details of an assignment." That was the only answer I could come up with that they might interpret as a strength....kind-of like a "pay attention to details" trait instead.

I would say the biggest thing to remember is to just go into the interview appearing relaxed and just be yourself. Let your personality shine through! I was told after I received the job, other than my resume and all of the experience and education I was bringing to their company, that they just really liked me. They felt that I was at ease in my interview with them and they really liked my personality.

And, in answer to the reasons why you want to leave your current job, don't be too honest. I was leaving my old job because of a harsh work environment....it was REALLY bad. I did NOT use that as a reason in my interview. I told them that I simply wanted to be closer to my family and a shorter job commute (which was the truth too). I later found out in a conversation with my CEO that she hates it when people bad-mouth in the slightest way their former/current employers in an interview. That all but ends the interview in her mind and she does NOT offer the job to them no matter what their personality or resume may contain.

Alot of interviewers ask these two questions:

1. What are your strengths? (easy enough:)

2. What are your weaknesses? (I struggle with this question)

What is a good "weakness" to have?

A good way to handle this type of question is to use the "positive-negative-positive" method of answering. You don't want to lie, but you want to make your weakness sound better. Start by saying something positive about yourself, then the negative thing, then bring it back to the positive somehow.

For example, I sometimes promise things to people then forget to deliver on them :rolleyes1 So I start with the positive of "I am always interested in trying to help everyone out where I can" then mention the negative of sometimes forgetting what I promised in my zeal to be helpful, then bring it back around to the positive by saying "but I've learned to combat that by keeping a notebook with me at all times and having a special page in it where I record anything I promised anyone - I review it once a day and mark thru everything as I complete it!"

Hi,

Thanks very much for this comment. It help me to think about my ideals.

Tks again and pls keep posting.

What are the "correct answers" to job interview questions...especially the one.."Why are you leaving your current position?"
I've been at the same job for a number of years and this job is the same thing just for a different company.

A good interviewer will know when you're just trying to give them the right answers. And then throw a completely curve ball question your way to trip you up.

My now husband interviewed me back about 7 years ago. I was giving very good answers to his questions...so he threw in "so, you're smarter than most people, aren't you?"

What are the "correct answers" to job interview questions...especially the one.."Why are you leaving your current position?"
I've been at the same job for a number of years and this job is the same thing just for a different company.

Always stay positive and never say anything negative about your current job. Say soemthing positive about your new company.

I have always admired "comapny name".

I've been on the interviewer side of the table a lot, and we always, always, always are looking for honest answers, not "right" answers. What's "right" for one team is wrong for us, and we don't even consider people who just appear to be telling us what we want to hear. We'd rather hear you don't know how to do something or aren't familiar with a concept than hear you try to b.s. about it.

When we ask the weakness question, we really want you to tell us a weakness because *everyone has them* and we need to know if you're the type of person who recognizes your own faults and tries to correct them, or if you are trying to feed us a line about a "weakness" that is really a strength because you don't want to look bad. If the person seems to give an honest answer, we follow up the weakness question by asking how the person is trying to improve in their weak areas - that is far more telling than someone who gives a rehearsed positive weakness answer.

As for the question about why you're leaving your current job, again, honesty is the best policy. Don't badmouth your current place of employment, but focus on the positives of why you want the new job.

Whatever answer you give, don't ever slam your current company in your response. It might make your potential new employer think you might do the same to them someday. I usually go with the "I want to learn new things, take on new challenges, etc." type of line. I work in IT, and everyone seems to change jobs every 5 years, so that line works well as long as I'm not job hopping after a very short time. In the worst case - a job hop after just a year - I gave the answer that the job just wasn't the right "fit" for me, that that company needed someone to go in one direction with their career and that I wanted to go in another. I didn't say anything bad about the company (although I could have said soooo much :scared1:) and I even backed up their need to go in the direction they were looking. I just stated that I wasn't personally interested in that direction, so it was time for me to move on.

In general, try to take the positive-negative-positive approach to interview questions, esp. the ones that ask you about your weaknesses, etc. Say something positive, then slip in the negative, then say something positive again. For example, "I like a fast paced environment and love to jump in and help sort out difficult problems. But sometimes I take on too much, and end up forgetting a small task or two I've said I would take on. I've learned to keep detailed lists of what I've promised to do so that doesn't occur anymore, and every evening before I leave work I review that list to make sure I haven't lost track of anything. It's been working very well."

A good way to handle this type of question is to use the "positive-negative-positive" method of answering. You don't want to lie, but you want to make your weakness sound better. Start by saying something positive about yourself, then the negative thing, then bring it back to the positive somehow.

For example, I sometimes promise things to people then forget to deliver on them :rolleyes1 So I start with the positive of "I am always interested in trying to help everyone out where I can" then mention the negative of sometimes forgetting what I promised in my zeal to be helpful, then bring it back around to the positive by saying "but I've learned to combat that by keeping a notebook with me at all times and having a special page in it where I record anything I promised anyone - I review it once a day and mark thru everything as I complete it!"

LOL - you must be my long lost sibling :laughing: We both give the same weakness, and the same way of dealing!

I hope I don't get flamed for this. I recently hosted a lot of interviews for my company, which is why I took interest in this thread. You should always.. always answer honestly. If you don't, if you say what you think the person wants to hear you will be a bad match for the position. Its just as bad for you as it is the employee if you lie. i recently hired a guy who told me that he loved talking on the phone... now he complains daily about the amount of calls he has to take... etc..

"I really enjoy my current position, and I'll be sad to go, but I feel that I have maximized my potential there, and am excited by the prospect of new challenges. While the job I'm applying for here is quite similar to the one I'm doing, I am eager for the chance to learn more about your business. For instance, I recently read that you (insert business initiative here). That sounds like a terrific venture, and I would love to learn more about it."

But I do think delivery is important. Sound thoughtful, but not rehearsed, and not TOO perky.

I get this question a fair bit because I have a very diverse resume. I left one company after about a year, a very large employer locally, and I basically say, "I moved here with a mortgage but no job, and after a six-month job search, felt compelled to take the first position I was offered, which wasn't a great fit with my level of expertise. I had started looking for other positions within the company when a friend referred me to the one at X company, and since it was such an amazing fit with my background, I couldn't pass it up."

la question est trop simple.

ah oui, mais peut-etre la reponse....Ma faiblesse, a fois j'ai oublie de parler en anglais. :lmao:

whatever you do, don't lie in a panic. i just left retail and we used to hire people all the time. at times we had like 30 people in my one store. they would say things like i love working with people and then be afraid to talk to the customers. after a while i could seriously smell fear in the people we hired....and someone taught me a sure fire way of judging character that still to this day i use when meeting someone new. i thought it was crazy when they told me but people that failed the test often quit or got fired.

weakness could be what was your area of growth on your last review. so mine was (and it was a good one for the position i currently have since i dont multitask anymore) that i get so busy assisting one customer that do not keep track of the entire store (who can do that anyway). it basically was like i am so good one on one i fail at being mediocre and helping everyone in sight. not a bad weakness. so with that in mind if you can think of a weakness at your old job that will be a strength at your new job that is good.:goodvibes

My suggestion...

Honesty. Here are some of the probable reasons you'd leave a current job for the same position at a different company:

1) More money.
2) Better work environment.
3) Location.
4) Opportunity for advancement.

I suggest highlighting #4 (and possibly #3)...
"I feel I've been "pigeon holed" in my current job and would like the opportunity to learn more about the business."
"I'd like a shorter commute."/"I'd like to be closer to my family."

This.

Also be prepared for the "Tell us why we should hire you" question. For some reason, I am fine talking ad nauseam about my experience, but when asked so directly, I used to get sheepish about it because I don't like to brag about myself. So spend some time playing around with answers to that question.

Also, behavioral interviewing is still all the rage, so expect to be asked questions like: "Tell me about a time when you had a disagreement with a co-worker, and how you handled it." Or... "Tell me about a time when you had to challenge an existing process in order to improve efficiency." Whatever their key hiring goals are.

ah oui, mais peut-etre la reponse....Ma faiblesse, a fois j'ai oublie de parler en anglais. :lmao:

whatever you do, don't lie in a panic. i just left retail and we used to hire people all the time. at times we had like 30 people in my one store. they would say things like i love working with people and then be afraid to talk to the customers. after a while i could seriously smell fear in the people we hired....and someone taught me a sure fire way of judging character that still to this day i use when meeting someone new. i thought it was crazy when they told me but people that failed the test often quit or got fired.weakness could be what was your area of growth on your last review. so mine was (and it was a good one for the position i currently have since i dont multitask anymore) that i get so busy assisting one customer that do not keep track of the entire store (who can do that anyway). it basically was like i am so good one on one i fail at being mediocre and helping everyone in sight. not a bad weakness. so with that in mind if you can think of a weakness at your old job that will be a strength at your new job that is good.:goodvibes

what's the surefire way?? please share!

I just interviewed folks last week for a job in a school. Please, please do not get too personal in the interview. One woman spoke of her dead child's funeral, another of how her DH is out of work and they are struggling. Don't take this the wrong way, I care about people, but TMI for someone I literally just met. Don't say anything that will bring the interview to a screeching halt. Stay positive. If you're willing to go there with strangers in an interview, what kinds of things will you say if I hire you and you're getting comfy with the other employees???

I agree w/ PP; keep things positive about why you're leaving. What are you looking for? What aspect did you love about your old job that you're looking for more of in this new one?

One more bit of advice. Do your homework. Be ready to answer a question about, say, how you would handle a situation with kids if you're interviewing for a position in a school. Give examples please. That lets me know you've actually done what you're saying you can do. I know when you're just throwing around the latest terms and haven't really experienced them.

Oh, one more to piggyback on that...ask questions! Show interest if you're unsure about something that's asked. Say, "No, I haven't worked with kids with X, but I really love to learn new things. Would there be opportunities for me to watch someone work with the kids and get ideas? training?" etc....

Good luck:thumbsup2

I do a lot of interviews - first for hiring in my old department, now as an alumni interviewer for my university. I agree with the advice on being honest, but don't be personal - I have had people share with me details of their divorce, cheating spouses, financial issues ... keep it professional! NO PERSONAL INFO!

I hate the "I'm too anal" response as a weakness. Seriously, 90 percent of people use that. Are they all reading the same Great Interview Answers workbook? It is just so cliched at this point. It doesn't come across as genuine and it makes you seem full of yourself. I think it's better to answer with a genuine weakness, but a weakness that is not relevant to the position. E.g., if you are interviewing for a human resources position, say your weakness is accounting. If you are interviewing to work on a retail floor, say that you hate to stand still all the time and like to be moving around. You get the idea.

Good luck to all you job seekers!

what's the surefire way?? please share!

ok ill tell ya since i don't think anyone here is interviewing me or i'm interviewing them anytime soon.

handshake. someone who can not give a firm handshake and look you in the eye when introducing themselves often does not last long when dealing with the public. one of my old bosses used to do it, and she was like well you had a good one, i never realized how much is conveyed in that. sure enough if i pay attention to the way someone introduces themselves, handshake, eye contact, body language it says a lot. one retail job i was at we hired them out of high school, it was almost like taking bets, we would shake hands and then say how long they were gonna last. my boss once said wet noodle about a girl and then a customer yelled at her one day she started crying and quit on the spot. we tried to convince the poor girl to just take a 5 and forget about it but she was done. believe it or not some people are surprised when you put your hand out for the shake and i think that's a terrible sign! i mean shaking hands in a workplace....how novel.

This is a great thread. I have an interview on Monday for a position in my organization but it's a lateral position not an upwards one. I want to be honest but it's going to be hard. I want the position b/c it's more time working on the computer and less time with face to face interaction. I find that the most stressful of all the things I do in a day.

They started the salary at a base one but said commensurate with experience. I'm not trying to get more money but I have to keep the same amount to live on. How should I approach that? These people have known me for 6 years now so it does make it easier to talk to them but I just don't know how to broach this subject.

This is a great thread. I have an interview on Monday for a position in my organization but it's a lateral position not an upwards one. I want to be honest but it's going to be hard. I want the position b/c it's more time working on the computer and less time with face to face interaction. I find that the most stressful of all the things I do in a day.

They started the salary at a base one but said commensurate with experience. I'm not trying to get more money but I have to keep the same amount to live on. How should I approach that? These people have known me for 6 years now so it does make it easier to talk to them but I just don't know how to broach this subject.
How did your interview go SnowWtch? Did you get any of these interview questions?

Ah, I remember doing mock job interviews with my friends in university getting ready for the real world. My favourite exchange was this one:

Q: "What do you feel is your greatest weakness?"
A: "I just don't know WHEN to stop working!"

Q: "Well, what's your greatest strength?"
A: "I sure can hold my liquor."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter