• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Best and worst of solo experiences?

Britdisneyfan

Earning My Ears
Ok....desperately "need" to go to WDW, first timer, had trip booked with a friend who has lost her job.......so I either totally cancel or go solo!
Single woman, no kids, love disney!
But if I go solo for 2wks I want to experience every aspect? I'm terrified that I will be uncomfortable dining in restaurants, and character meals which I sooooo want to do.
I'm shy, and scared of feeling uncomfortable in queues alone!
I'm very worried about what others will think of me being alone ..........but I so desperately wanna go.
Please, please share your experiences I'm desperate

You will be fine, many people go solo. Just enjoy all the details Disney has to offer. Bring a good camera and shoot away.
As a solo you have many advantages, you can do the things you want to do!
Some things to do is get some cheap pins on the internet and trade with the cast members, that may open things up for you.
Besides the theme parks explore the Disney resorts. Especially the ones around Magic Kingdon and Epcot.
Read up and find the things that interest you and do them.

As far as dining is concerned, don't push yourself. If you feel awkward dining TS solo, don't say "Everyone says I should be OK". That may only make you feel worse. If you want to try some TS, I'd suggest the Sci-Fi, where everyone's watching the movie screen. It's just like eating in front of the TV at home. And anywhere else if you do TS, point out that you're solo and ask if you could please have a table with "something to view" since you won't have anyone to talk to. I've gotten some great tables (great views) that way. Also, CMs seem especially chatty with solos-they love to share little insider "tips". One time I had a CM come up and tell me [some local TV station] "is filming inside (at Rafiki's Planet Watch) today, but don't tell anyone-they might get freaked out!" And one time, a couple CMs insisted I go on Spaceship Earth about 4 times-I asked where the Hidden Mickey's were and they kept sending me back until I found them all.

Ok....desperately "need" to go to WDW, first timer, had trip booked with a friend who has lost her job.......so I either totally cancel or go solo! Single woman, no kids, love disney! But if I go solo for 2wks I want to experience every aspect? I'm terrified that I will be uncomfortable dining in restaurants, and character meals which I sooooo want to do. I'm shy, and scared of feeling uncomfortable in queues alone! I'm very worried about what others will think of me being alone ..........but I so desperately wanna go. Please, please share your experiences I'm desperate dde0c
I wouldn't worry about what others will think of you being alone. The Disney staff have definitely seen solo travelers before and others in the park (if they even notice you) won't know if you came alone or if you just aren't currently with your group.

Two weeks seems like a long time though. Could you maybe shorten your trip?

Hi I went solo in 2008 and just started planing my 5 trip to WDW. 2008 was my first solo trip and was the best vacation I ever had. No one will care u are solo. They will be paying attention to their own vacation. I enjoyed dining solo but if u are worried or have questions ask. Many lines arent bad for solo travelers. Many times either there is a shorter line for solo or a group needs one more passager.

I agree with DisneyFun. Two weeks may be too much time if you're not used to be a solo traveller.

If you haven't done yet, take a look at these threads, where you might find someone to join over a meal, to enjoy a ride, to share a room... This way you won't have to spend all time on your own:

DINING CENTRAL-Join other DISers over a meal

Adults and Solo Trips Central

(I can't add links yet, but they're easy to find) :)

As far as eating I think it's easier to do sit down lunch meals rather than dinner. Also, try some of the restaurants where you share your table like Teppan Edo and Biergarten. For counter service I found eating at the food court of your resort to be the best. At a few restaurants like Le Cellier I joined another guest dining alone. There was a section in the middle where it seems they place the solo diners or couples only. I just asked if I could join someone.

I have to admit I rather do counter service when going solo. Bring a book or some other distraction which can ease your feelings when dining alone. Do some meet and greets rather than character dining experiences if you don't have a thick skin.

Parades where the hardest for me. Now, I just don't expect to get the best view and I show up close to the time rather than trying to get the best view. You can skip the parades, too.

Utilize FP+ as much as possible. Use early entry if you are a Disney resort guest. It's less crowded and you will be able to accomplish more. Get FP+ for the afternoon or evening. Use stand by lines as much as possible for rides.

I will say so many people are so self absorbed that you really won't see anyone looking at you like your out of place.

Take a camera and keep your face into the camera and take some pictures. You won't be seeing anyone else that way.

Take some special Disney tours. You will have to pay extra, but it seems these smaller groups accept solo travelers more easily. I really liked doing the Lunch with an Imagineer when I was on my own at Hollywood Studios.

I did fine myself having enough of the parks in 6 to 8 hours being on my own. When going with others I have spent up to 12 hours in a park, but not as a solo traveller.

I agree that I feel two weeks would be too long; I wouldn't do that length of time myself.

Personally, I would shorten the trip if possible, 2 weeks is a long time. I think a week would be perfect. Then you could use that extra money to treat yourself, maybe do some of the park tours, or book yourself a spa day at one of the resorts. Or upgrade your accommodations! You'll have a great time. I've gone solos twice -- I'm shy as well and the only thing I feel awkward about doing solo is meeting Characters. Usually I'll do that early n the AM or when there isn't a long line and I'm more comfortable. :)

Interestingly, my best and worst memories are both at Epcot.

BEST: I had a lunch ADR at the Rose and Crown but went over to Epcot the evening before on a spur of the moment decision. I thought perhaps I could eat at the R&C and then cancel my lunch ADR. I got up to the desk and heard the CM tell the people in front of me they were full up. I asked anyways and to my surprise they had a table for one available. My servers were very attentive since I was solo and they didn't want me to feel lonely (so they said). Two tables down was Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca). As he left, I gave him a "thumbs up" and he smiled and gave me one back. Nothing was said, but it was a nice moment.

WORST: I wanted to eat the Biergarten for years, having lived in Germany and Austria, but none of my family was ever interested. Made a lunch ADR on my first solo trip. I was seated at a table with a family of 4 and a family of 3. The family of 4 was from Central America and spoke no English. They ate and left. The family of 3 was American, but also ate without talking and left. So, I sat at my table enjoying the music and singing along to the songs all by myself. My server felt sorry for me and brought me another beer. I had a good time, in spite of this, but I had been looking forward to joining in with some others.

I usually take a book with me to read while eating or waiting for the bus. I wrap it in a zip-lock back and put it in a cargo pocket of my shorts. Quick to access, but safe from rain or Thunder Mountain.

Once while eating, I saw a couple looking for seats, but all the tables were full. I offered them seats at my table. We enjoyed a brief conversation as I finished my meal. As I left, I saw them offer one of their spare seats to a solo traveler.

Take some special Disney tours. You will have to pay extra, but it seems these smaller groups accept solo travellers more easily. I really liked doing the Lunch with an Imagineer when I was on my own at Hollywood Studios.

Agree. I did the Keys to the Kingdom tour. Almost all couples and singles. The tour was fantastic. Had a lot of fun, interacted with others in the group, and spent a very pleasurable morning at MK.

i went on a solo trip for my birthday but i have the unique advantage of being a previous cast member, so i have friends wherever i go. the upside to being alone, when i was, was not catering to other people. if i wanted to ride tower of terror 13 times in a row i could. if i wanted to sit and people watch, checking my social media and so on; i could. the only downfall was just feeling alone in a big place. or if something funny happened i had no one to bounce that off of.

i went on a solo trip for my birthday but i have the unique advantage of being a previous cast member, so i have friends wherever i go. the upside to being alone, when i was, was not catering to other people. if i wanted to ride tower of terror 13 times in a row i could. if i wanted to sit and people watch, checking my social media and so on; i could. the only downfall was just feeling alone in a big place. or if something funny happened i had no one to bounce that off of.

Even if something funny happens as a solo, I've found that most people are receptive to the situation. During F&W this year it seemed like everywhere I went something hilarious occurred and I felt like I was part of random groups every time which was nice.

Wow! Just want to say thanks to all for taking the time to reply, really appreciate all the advice, and love hearing your stories. I'm also taking on board that several have mentioned two weeks may be too long, so will also take this into consideration, again many thanks ☺️

I love going solo...best experiences...Le Cellier...and Chefs de France...the tables are super close so have had some fun conversations with fellow diners. My advice-'do not feel bad or apologetic about being there solo. Disney is a world class resort with fabulous restaurants. Enjoy!
Worst experience- my first solo...did not think I would need reservations even though I had the dining plan. Only to discover- no tables available! By my second day- I was in tears at my hotel thinking I could no use any if my table service meals. but I called the reservation line and they hooked me up for the rest of the week.

General advice. If you are not used to eating alone in restaurants- practice! I travel for work and have no issue eating by myself in nice or not so nice place. But, when I first began eating out, I always had a book...now I people watch, and rarely look at my phone...but it has taken years of eating solo to get to that point.

Have a great trip and enjoy yourself!

You didn't say when you were going so I don't know how much lead time you have. I said this because there are many internet based Disney groups that have meet-ups at WDW at many times during the year. Join with these groups if timing is right. Many have scheduled events such as group rides or meals or scavenger hunts and everyone gets put into mostly random groups. You all have the same interest in Disney so use that. Also, get a twitter account and find the twitter accounts of the various Disney podcasts and websites. This is a great way to find out what is going on.

Since I go to parks often as a solo, I used these methods to help me create a better visit. I've met a great many podcast and internet people while there and now have a group of people who are my "Disney" friends. It is really interesting to run into people at the parks from previous visits who I met in the above manner.

When I went solo, dining for me wasn't a problem at all. I think I'd feel more uncomfortable in those restaurants where you're seated with other people. I'm just there to enjoy my food, not talk, so I prefer a private table. I had waiters and busboys making conversation with me and that was enough. :)

I have gone solo several times to WDW and hundreds to DL. Solo is awesome. If you are concerned about dining alone in a TS, you really shouldn't be. Everyone who is there is more concerned about their own trip and good times to even notice someone sitting alone.

I have sat alone at TS's where I was at a private table and when I had to sit with others (Via Napoli and Beirgarten) Both times I had fun because the people I sat with enjoyed talking about their trip experiences and wanted to know about mine.

The wait staff at every restaurant was awesome. I did character breakfasts solo and someone was always there to take a picture of me and the characters.. no one made any comments - ever.

There is such a freedom in going solo and not having to be tied down to something someone else wants to do. Yes, I enjoy going with friends, but solo is just as, if not more, fun for me.

When I've told people I am at WDW alone, some people have said they wished they had the nerve to do it. Numerous times I had a someone look at the group they were with and then look at me with a little bit of envy. :)

Just go and have fun.. enjoy the 'me time' in a magical place that welcomes everyone.

Hi there!
This will be my first full vacation of experiencing Disney solo. I've had solo days during my last 3 stays, but this will be my first completely solo trip. Similar circumstance - most of my friends are married, my one single travel buddy unfortunately had to cancel. I was left with the decision of going solo or not going at all. Then I realized that it's not possible for me to miss out on a Disney opportunity! I'll be staying at the Beach Club mid-May and can't wait! I love that resort and the convenience to Epcot.

I'm not going to lie - if you're someone who is nervous about restaurants or certain things solo, it can be intimidating at first. But trust me, you'll completely warm up to things! I was actually amazed at how wonderful the cast members treat solo guests. I had the best seating on rides and not having to wait to eat is such a perk! I mainly stuck to bar seating, but it was perfectly fine. The waiters love to chat and it really does help ease your mind about things. I do agree with the other post regarding the length of stay. 2 weeks may seem a bit drawn out. You can shorten the stay and treat yourself to a fun spa day at one of the resorts. Solo time is an awesome time to really pamper yourself.

My best is advice is to do EVERYTHING you want to do! It's your vacation, you deserve to have just as much fun as anyone else there. You'll have a bad time if you worry about what others think. Once you let that go, it'll be an absolutely blast!

A pp mentioned taking some of the guided tours.. I would recommend this also... take a look at the Keys To the Kingdom tour in MK. I think it's $75... but it's 5 hours of behind the scenes information, including a trip through the underground utilidors, backstage areas, and a lunch in Frontierland (Or Liberty Square.. I forget which). It's a lot of fun and very informative. Perfect for a solo traveler as everyone gets their own headset/microphone combo and you can talk to the tour guide through that. It's REALLY cool!

I'm a confirmed solo traveler and have done nearly every type of trip. Having an asocial personality I do enjoy being alone in fact I prefer it. Anyway I have never really had a bad experience travelling solo except when strangers have tried to ruin my trip. Enjoying yourself starts with you and the attitude you bring. If you have a positive outlook on your trip you will have fun. If you are interested in meeting people you can just strike up a conversation about Disney. You shouldn't waste your time worrying about what others might think about you. Go on your trip and enjoy life. :)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter