riversend22

Mouseketeer
Hey everyone. Looking for some expertise. My family of 4 (DH, DS 4, and DS 2) are heading down to Florida in the latter half of April to visit some family. After our visit, we are planning on booking a hotel somewhere for a few nights to have some more fun just us.

Because my kids aren't used to sharing one single hotel room, I really feel like we need at least a hotel with 1 bedroom. Right now I'm looking at Art of Animation, Saratoga Springs, Fort Wilderness, and maybe key west. We will not be doing any parks so this will be a resort only little trip.

What in your opinions would be the best hotel for us with my two little youngsters? They really love water, so I'm definitely looking for a resort with a nice fun pool, and possibly a fun splash pad/play area for the boys. They also really love anything that moves (trucks, cars, planes etc) so I know the skyliner and monorail would be big hits with them. I know the resorts above have some of things I've mentioned but I can't decide which would be best for us. I want to make sure that the resort has enough amenities and things open to keep us busy during COVID times, but that it's also not too far from other fun things like other hotels or DS. We are not opposed to the Universal hotels, or a completely off site hotel near Disney if those would offer more amenities for my kiddos. We will have our own car. So any and all advice is welcomed. Thank you!

Animal Kingdom might be a nice option for you. There are guides to teach about the animals. I think a 2 and 4 year old would love sitting on the balcony watching the animals. Thepools are great, both Jambo and Kidani pools are available for guests.

Thanks for the response! I did look into Animal kingdom, but with so many of the amenities being closed, and with it having limited transportation options, we decided against it for this trip. I've visited many times though and I love the resort...would love to stay there one day on another vacation!

OKW just for the spaciousness of the 1-bedroom villas! If you're driving transportation shouldn't be an issue and you can park your car right outside your front door.

Since you say AoA is one of your options... just wanted to note that the Big Blue Pool is currently closed for refurbishment through “early April.” Your trip is late April so you “should” be ok, but there’s a small possibility any project delays could impact your AoA stay. That doesn’t seem like a high probability in my mind, but just something to keep an eye on if you decide to do AoA.

If you aren’t going into the parks I’d look at other places. WDW resorts charge much more than the typical rate because they’re in a theme park.

Universal Cabana Bay is fun and have family suites. 2 huge pools with slides, lazy river, bowling alley.
What I’d do is go to the gulf coast.

If everything is back open at AoA, I would go there with that age of kids. They'll totally love the room, the pool is the biggest on property, and you can even take a little trip on the skyliner

I would pick SSR because you can walk or take the boat to DS. They have multiple pools with water slides and it’s easier to stay spread out. There is lots of space to explore. The new rooms have a fold down bed and the pullout couch too.

My family also really enjoyed our stay at Hilton Buena Vista Palace in the family suite(this place is across the street from SSR and also has a big pool with lazy River). It’s a quick walk to DS.

We liked AoA, but the big pool is currently closed. It would be very Disney themed for little kids though. My kids would stay just about anywhere with a pool.

Of the resorts you listed I would definitely stay at Ft Wilderness cabins! We love it because there is so much to do outside the parks - canoe, kayak, a quiet and feature pool, playgrounds, horses to ride and/or visit at the stables, fish - and I know I’m leaving lots of things out! (The only thing I’m not sure is open is the trail riding.) And if you don’t often do it, rent a golf cart to get around while you’re there - it will give your kids the ride they’re looking for 😊

The Fort Wilderness Cabins are great! Rent a golf cart and you can drive around and explore. We just returned from there and the pool is good and has a slide, there’s fishing, canoeing, archery, horses. My husband just enjoyed driving and looking at people’s RV setups. Especially since you aren’t going to the parks, Fort Wilderness is a great option!

My family of 4 (DH, DS 4, and DS 2)... latter half of April... hotel somewhere for a few nights... Art of Animation, Saratoga Springs, Fort Wilderness, and maybe key west. We will not be doing any parks so this will be a resort only little trip... [two little youngsters] really love water... nice fun pool, and possibly a fun splash pad/play area... anything that moves (trucks, cars, planes etc) so I know the skyliner and monorail would be big hits... enough amenities and things open to keep us busy during COVID times, but that it's also not too far from other fun things like other hotels or DS. We are not opposed to the Universal hotels, or a completely off site hotel near Disney...

AoA is very appealing to young kids, convenient to the Skyliner, has a cute (though small) climbing "playground", and has a very nice splash pad and pool (assuming they're both open during your trip). For your described situation, it would be my pick among onsite choices, especially if price is a factor for you.

SSR has zero entry pools, a splash pad at Paddock, and an okay climbing "playground" in Congress Park. It's walkable to DS. This makes all the other resorts more accessible with a single bus ride - our grandsons like to point out all the characters on the sides of buses coming & going from the DS bus stops. Besides having a wide array of restaurants for you at DS, preschoolers like the kiddie "train" and "carousel" there. If you're okay with the cost, this is another solid option for your situation.

Fort Wilderness is a wonderful rustic resort. IMO, most of the activities would appeal more to older kids. The feature pool area, splash pad, most playgrounds are all a pretty long way from the Cabins. You aren't supposed to drive around inside the resort, so you'd either have to add the expense of a golf cart (fun but not cheap) or use the internal bus shuttles to go anywhere fun for the kids. Would not recommend for your situation.

OKW has a nice sandy playground but no zero entry or splash pad, the kiddie pool is plain, it's not within walking distance of anything and the boats to DS are not currently operating. So would not recommend this either for your situation.

If you consider a nice offsite resort, look at Club Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort or Marriott Harbour Lake Resort. Both of these resorts offer larger units with MBR suite, kitchen, washer-dryer, etc. Both have a pirate-themed pool/water area and a splash pad, onsite mini-golf, available gas grills & picnic areas - these are both really fun resorts for families with young children with plenty of resort amenities for a festive mini-vacation. (Check whether the playground renovation at CWBC will be done and open by your visit). You may still drive to DS (5 min from CWBC, 15 min from MHL). Park at DS for free and take a Disney bus to a resort to ride the Skyliner, monorail, or Seven Seas Lagoon boat.

Last edited:
AoA is very appealing to young kids, convenient to the Skyliner, has a cute (though small) climbing "playground", and has a very nice splash pad and pool (assuming they're both open during your trip). For your described situation, it would be my pick among onsite choices, especially if price is a factor for you.

SSR has zero entry pools, a splash pad at Paddock, and an okay climbing "playground" in Congress Park. It's walkable to DS. This makes all the other resorts more accessible with a single bus ride - our grandsons like to point out all the characters on the sides of buses coming & going from the DS bus stops. Besides having a wide array of restaurants for you at DS, preschoolers like the kiddie "train" and "carousel" there. If you're okay with the cost, this is another solid option for your situation.

Fort Wilderness is a wonderful rustic resort. IMO, most of the activities would appeal more to older kids. The feature pool area, splash pad, most playgrounds are all a pretty long way from the Cabins. You aren't supposed to drive around inside the resort, so you'd either have to add the expense of a golf cart (fun but not cheap) or use the internal bus shuttles to go anywhere fun for the kids. Would not recommend for your situation.

OKW has a nice sandy playground but no zero entry or splash pad, the kiddie pool is plain, it's not within walking distance of anything and the boats to DS are not currently operating. So would not recommend this either for your situation.

If you consider a nice offsite resort, look at Club Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort or Marriott Harbour Lake Resort. Both of these resorts offer larger units with MBR suite, kitchen, washer-dryer, etc. Both have a pirate-themed pool/water area and a splash pad, onsite mini-golf, available gas grills & picnic areas - these are both really fun resorts for families with young children with plenty of resort amenities for a festive mini-vacation. (Check whether the playground renovation at CWBC will be done and open by your visit). You may still drive to DS (5 min from CWBC, 15 min from MHL). Park at DS for free and take a Disney bus to a resort to ride the Skyliner, monorail, or Seven Seas Lagoon boat.
Thank you Lisa for all of your wonderful notes! At first we had decided on Art of Animation because I wanted my kids to be amazed with the theme, but after reading what you wrote, I actually took a look at Bonnet Creek (which hubby and I have looked at before but never stayed), and actually booked an AMAZING deal with them yesterday. It's saving us almost $600 and we are getting an extra bedroom, so that is definitely the right choice for us. And we'll probably ride the skyliner over to AoA so my kids can see it anyways, so it ends up being a win-win for everyone. Thanks again, really appreciate it!

My kids love Cabana Bay Beach Resort. If not going to parks a place like CBBR has so much to do on sight you can easily spend a day there and not be bored. Later you can take a walk (medium )to City Walk or one of the other resorts, last I heard they have no problem with pool hopping. Plus with otheer resorts close by you have a very large selection of eateries to choose from.

Playgrounds have been closed during covid, so they might still be closed.

Fort Wilderness is amazing for kids that age! My kids love the splash pad and my oldest (age 5) likes the big pool and water slide. The playground was open in November/December, and there were kids playing with digging truck toys in the tetherball's sandy area. My 2 year old still talks about seeing the ponies at "Mickey's house." We are going to celebrate her 3rd birthday there and hopefully ride the boat to the monorail to the Contemporary for the modified Chef Mickey's breakfast. We rarely rent a golf cart, except 1 day to see the Christmas lights. At that age, we just put the kids in the stroller and walked, I don't mind the mileage. On our last trip we drove to HS to park and ride the Skyliner for another ride. My son is still hoping the Chip and Dale campfire sing-a-long comes back before our next trip to Fort Wilderness.

Bay Lake Tower has a setup where there is a bedroom 'area' for mom and dad and really comfortable chairs/sofas that can hold the kids. Far better than the typical two-queen-beds-and-a-couch setup, some privacy for mom and dad, some separation for the kids. I forget what they call it, but its great.

Been 25 times or more, stayed at most resorts, and to honest I would pick AoA or cabins in a heartbeat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter