Berwyn and Delyth's Anniversary Trip Part 1

BCT

Mouseketeer
I asked DW where she wolud like to go for our 25th wedding anniversary , thinking Bruges, Paris or Prague perhaps but she answered "Disneyland Paris because they look after you properly in the hotels."
So here we are on the way to Marriott Airport hotel at Manchester airport.We are going now rather than October The actual date because we thoght the weather would be better.
We have an 0430 check in time and fly at 0630hrs, so we thought we'd stay overnight and get an extra hour in bed than going by taxi from home for the same price. Or so we thought!
We were so excited we could'nt settle to sleep early and finally got off at about 11pm. The pillows were like rocks and the room was like a traveloge/travel Inn with posh furniture.
Anyway Dw woke at 10 past 2 and that was it, 3 hours sleep. We couldn't get back off again . gave it up as a bad job and had tea and biscuits ( good job DW thought of asking for exta supplies in the evening).
After getting to the airport in the hotel minibus we had the usual hanging about till flight time, beats me why they want us there so early as it only takes about 5 mins. to clear passport control and security.
At lest I had a good cooked breakfast, Delyth's stomach is in a knot as she hates flying.
We had an excellent flight over to CDG with Air France only 1 hour and loads of legroom, (Last time BA was 1 1/2 hours, )apart from the fact we were sat by the wing next to the emergency exit. There was a young man in a hoodie in the seat right next to the door who plulled his hood up over his head and turned his face to the wall as soon as we took off. DW was convinced he is a terrorist and going to do something :scared1: !!

It was hot and sunny when we land ( despite AOL and Lycos weather arguing then finally agreeing that it's going to be cloudy with showers all week).
Our VEA tickets say 2F gate 0.05 but we and others get there and no bus, thank goodness some people don't read their paperwork and ahad wandered about to look for the bus stop and found it. It's gate 5 and has a small sign Disneyland buses for those landing at terminal 2.
We are checked in to Sequoia Lodge by 11am, but can't have the room until 3pm. We have booked a Montana Room with lake view as it's a special occasion ( we had rung Disney before travelling to check it would be O.K. because of worries over the building work )
Following everyone's advice we booked early breakfast slots 7.45am. and then over to concierge to do the important job , Kettle, tea basket for the room and Book Buffalo Bill's for 9.30pm on the Monday.
We're now off to the Parks!1 As it's so close we walked through the village, after I've checked the Scaffolding on the side of the main building facing the lake, it seems to cover about 3/4 of the length.
It's 11.30 as we pass Annette's Diner and in we go for lunch,get fed while it's quiet and then we'll be OK till the evening. I had a Mega Burger and DW had the 50/50 burger very filling.
We get our park guidesat the gate and horrror they are closing POTC tomorrow 30th May until the 10 of June inclusive + the Blue lagoon.
Straight to POTC to make sure we get our fill, the park is quieter than we expected for a Sunday all the better for us, we walked straight on POTC and again.
While we were over in Adventureland I went on Indiana Jones , DW won't come she learnt her lesson last time, 5 min. wait and i cansee why it's tame now it goes forwards.
Then past BTM and the lake to PM, again minimal queue for PM Watch out for the black man in the black suit ( but you can't see him in the dark :rotfl: ) the screaming!!.
later hile the parade was on we wandered overto SM2 25 min queue here and a British lady and I had elbows out everywhere to stop French youths trying to queue jump. Sm2 apart from the special effects doesn't seem much different but it is MUCH jekier it shakes you about especially the head. I'wouldn't reccomend it if you have neck or spinal problems.My neck was still aching all day Monday.
We wandered through the park soaking up the atmosphere , which we could do now with no kids (apart from me :Pinkbounc ) needing big rides.
About 5pm. we are starting to flagso wander back to SL via RER station to pick up supplies from the newsagent shop They are much cheaper than hotels and parks. (water is half the price)
We are in the main building 3rd floorbut it's huge the corridors are miles long
The room we have is on the end of the south wing facing the lake, right on the corner , it is lovely and clean the bed is comfortable with feather pillows Heaven! As its a corner room we have 2 windows one facing the lake and one facing NPBC hotel.
Apart from the minibar which we don't use I can't see much difference from brochure description with a standard room.
There is a smell like Germolene in the air, DW said it smelt like castor oil, I think it comes from the air conditioning.
The funny thing is the bathroom arrangemnt as you come in to the little lobby the sing is in an open are and you go through a door to the toilet/shower , the toile is right behind the door and if it swingsopen it could crunch your toes
There is plenty of roomfor clothes and hanging space by the sink .
DW thought we'd need a quick lie down before tea to recharge the batteries,
instant collapse of two stout persons, next thing we knew it was 9pm we had a Twix and bottled water for our evenig meal and back to sleep for the night we're definitely starting to feel our age.

Great first installment, Berwyn! Thanks for posting before I left, hehehe... I enjoyed reading this. Looking forward to my hotel room smelling like Germolene now. :flower:

At least it smelt clean , I was really worried before we left with people saying rooms were musty and wallpaper peeling.
day 2 has just been put on

Berwyn

Poor you on SM2! Recovered now I hope! Germolene is a lovely smell - reminds me of being young again!! Our room at DLH smelt oddly of sweaty socks in places as did the hallway (and the Cheyenne come to think of it). I was told it was the nylon in the carpets - personally I think its peoples sweaty feet walking the carpets!!

back to normal thanks, well as normal as I ever get.
It wasnt so much the ride (loops and twists) just the fact it shook you about and I wasnt the only one RRC wasnt like that
I know about sweaty socks the house smelt like that when DS1 age 20 lived at home , it stank . it smells much better now he's moved out

How's the washing mound coming along

Berwyn

Washing mound - more like washing mould!!! Its finally all put back in the drawers washed and ironed. Im so glad ive got boys who are happy to wear the same top more than once - if Id had girls like my nieces Id still be ironing (they seem to change every 5 minutes - just like their moods!!)

Great first installment Berwyn.
How have you managed to do three days reports in such a short time-I've only done day on on mine!
I'm glad my youngest DS was too short to ride SM2 if it was that jerky-I thought RnR was bad after riding it twice in 5 minutes-my head really hurt after that.I must be getting old.:sad:

Thanks Tina :wave2:

I made notes as we went along, usually when Deltyh was having a lie down after breakfast - no stamina she can't keep up :rotfl: .
We're definitely getting old .
It was just a matter of getting a decent time at the PC to type it up. DS2 age17 is in 6th form and doing AS level exams .he's been off on study leave and most of his notes are on the PC so I couldn't get at it.

Berwyn

I'm glad people like them , I thought i was being too long winded

Great start Berwyn! Can't wait to read more.

I think with the SL standard rooms the only difference is that they are not in the main building. I think the size etc is the same? I know what you mean about the corridors there though - we had a room which felt like it was miles away from the lift, LOL

I must ask - what is a 50/50 burger? Is that part chicken and part beef?

Lovely report. Just what I needed to keep the excitement going for the next 4 weeks :banana:

Reid

Brilliant 1st instalment Berwyn, I must go and walk the dogs but I will be back to read the others later!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter