Bermuda requiring paid authorization to get off ship at port

Were doing the WBTA also and I've seen peoples advice about this on social media which is just speculation. All I know is I am not doing anything until I get an official DCL email.

Were doing the WBTA also and I've seen peoples advice about this on social media which is just speculation. All I know is I am not doing anything until I get an official DCL email.
Although we feel the same, our situation is complicated by our arriving in London on August 31st. We’re booked on the two 7-night cruises prior to the WBTA, as well as the WBTA itself. Obviously, we’d like to have everything in place before we fly across the pond to start this trip. We hit the 30-day check-in mark a week from today, so DCL needs to get on the ball with whatever information might be forthcoming.

I’ve been trying to book port-to-airport transfer for our arrival in NY at the end of September. Three phone calls, each a week apart, with the usual long waits, three cast members who have told me that my request has been noted and passed on to the “ground transportation team” that makes these arrangements, and they will call me back. No calls, no emails. During the third call, I mentioned the lack of response and the cast member said the ground transportation team usually contacts people about two weeks out, so not to worry. I then noted that we were cruising b2b2b and would leave for England at the end of the month, so a call two weeks out would find us sailing on the Magic without much in the way of phone service and possibly reliable email, since the minimum internet package that supports email is $20/day and we were unlikely to invest on a daily basis for the 26 nights we’ll be cruising. There is a consistent lack of timely response from DCL when one finally gets to talk to someone.

I’ve been trying to book port-to-airport transfer for our arrival in NY at the end of September. Three phone calls, each a week apart, with the usual long waits, three cast members who have told me that my request has been noted and passed on to the “ground transportation team” that makes these arrangements, and they will call me back. No calls, no emails. During the third call, I mentioned the lack of response and the cast member said the ground transportation team usually contacts people about two weeks out, so not to worry. I then noted that we were cruising b2b2b and would leave for England at the end of the month, so a call two weeks out would find us sailing on the Magic without much in the way of phone service and possibly reliable email, since the minimum internet package that supports email is $20/day and we were unlikely to invest on a daily basis for the 26 nights we’ll be cruising. There is a consistent lack of timely response from DCL when one finally gets to talk to someone.
I called Disney about getting a port-to-airport transfer in NYC. I was told by the cast member that there will not be any transfers by Disney in NYC. I am on the Oct 10 cruise out of NYC and I had talked to them when I booked the cruise which was several months ago. I don't know if this applies to all Disney cruises out of or into NYC and I don't know if they changed their minds since I talked to them. So hopefully you will get an answer soon. Please post if you do. :thanks:

Bermuda is having everyone complete a paid authorization form prior to sailing if they wish to get off the ship in port. I had no idea and nothing has been said from Disney about this. I just happen to read about it on another site and checked to find it is true. Shouldn’t Disney be informing their guests about this so they can decide to cancel or not before the penalty period?

Link to Bermuda’s website.
https://www.gov.bm/applying-bermuda-travel-authorisation
Bahamas did the same thing last year for a while. They labeled it a health visa. I think it was only $10 pp though. They’ve since stopped.

I have hotel-port then again port to hotel transportation for NOLA in February. Maybe the contract is too short to set up?

Disney sent me an email today about Bermuda's requirements. Summary:

1. You have to be vaccinated if you're 12 and older. Unvaccinated kids under 12 can only leave the ship with a vaccinated parent or guardian.
2. You have to fill out the form yourself and pay the $40.
3. The test taken 1-2 days before sailing is good enough to satisfy Bermuda's requirements and no additional test is needed.
4. No exemptions for 90-day recoveries.
5. You need to have the Bermuda authorization form with you at the terminal to embark.

This is the email for the WBTA from DCL. You still have to test on the ship again to get off in Bermuda.

Dear XXXXXXX,

All of us at Disney Cruise Line look forward to welcoming you aboard the Disney Magic. We are reaching out with important information on the Bermuda Travel Authorization required for your upcoming sailing.

The Bermuda government requires all cruise ship passengers 2 years of age and older have an approved Bermuda Travel Authorization before arriving at the cruise embarkation terminal. The cost of the travel authorization application fee is $40.00 per person. All passengers 12 years of age and older must be fully vaccinated, and are required to upload their proof of vaccination at time of application. Children, ages 11 and younger, who are not fully vaccinated are welcome to enter Bermuda with a fully vaccinated parent or guardian.

In addition to obtaining an approved Travel Authorization and providing proof of vaccination, the Government of Bermuda requires all Guests on the transatlantic sailing from Dover to New York, including Guests who have identified as 90-day-recovered, complete an antigen test onboard the ship no more than two days prior to arrival in Bermuda. Guests who do not participate in this testing will be unable to debark the ship in Bermuda. Further details about this testing will be shared onboard.

Please visit the Government of Bermuda website for information and instructions on how to submit your travel authorization application and COVID-19 vaccination and testing requirements. Once approved, the Quarantine Authority in Bermuda will email your approved Travel Authorization. All Guests must have an electronic or paper copy of the Travel Authorization to show at embarkation.

While Bermuda’s entry requirements are independent of Disney Cruise Line’s COVID-19 vaccination and testing requirements previously communicated for your sailing, test results submitted to Disney Cruise Line satisfy Bermuda’s testing requirements.

Disney Cruise Line’s vaccination and testing requirements can be found in the Know Before You Go section of our website at DisneyCruise.com.

Again, we look forward to your arrival and appreciate you taking the required steps necessary to sail with us.
Sincerely,
The Cast and Crew
Disney Cruise Line

What is everyone's take on the Authorization form? We weren't planning to get off in Bermuda at all. Will we still be required to do the authorization form, or can we just ignore everything?

What is everyone's take on the Authorization form? We weren't planning to get off in Bermuda at all. Will we still be required to do the authorization form, or can we just ignore everything?
It seems if you don't test on the ship you cant get off but the $40 fee per person before the cruise in not clear.

It seems if you don't test on the ship you cant get off but the $40 fee per person before the cruise in not clear.
The $40 fee goes directly to Bermuda to check your vaccine status, and is required prior to embarkation. You have to bring the Approval with you on embarkation day and it is required of all passengers regardless of if you’re going ashore in Bermuda or not.

You only need to test again on the ship if it is more than 4 days between embarkation and arrival in Bermuda.

What does it mean "before arriving at the cruise embarkation terminal"? If we stay on the ship, we're really not in the terminal, are we. My real question is similar to others in that do all passengers, regardless if they stay on the ship or get off (embark), have to pay the fee?

Yes you have to submit and pay for the travel authorization even if you plan to stay on the ship. Disney will not let you board if you don’t have the authorization form to show them. This information was included in the email sent out. You must show before embarking on your cruise so before boarding the ship.

Hmm. Yeah, we're on the Oct 31st sailing . . . only one (short-ish) day at the Dockyards. This took me as quite unfriendly.

If you've been there before, the Dockyards is a glorified shopping mall with a nice museum. I anticipate a very busy ship as many won't bother to disembark, which is probably what most Bermudians would prefer.

Sad, because I have been to Bermuda 10+ times before and have gone out of my way to tour the island. There are various transport options to see A LOT, but maybe this time, . . . "why bother"?

Hmm. Yeah, we're on the Oct 31st sailing . . . only one (short-ish) day at the Dockyards. This took me as quite unfriendly.

If you've been there before, the Dockyards is a glorified shopping mall with a nice museum. I anticipate a very busy ship as many won't bother to disembark, which is probably what most Bermudians would prefer.

Sad, because I have been to Bermuda 10+ times before and have gone out of my way to tour the island. There are various transport options to see A LOT, but maybe this time, . . . "why bother"?
You need to apply for the travel authorization and bring the form with you just to get on the ship in NYC, though.

You need to apply for the travel authorization and bring the form with you just to get on the ship in NYC, though.
Ouch. Really? So it's basically $40/person extra (I admit immaterial given the overall trip) just for the privilege of being on a ship that goes to Bermuda?

Just got my email about the WBTA - bit of a stinger, especially if you’re not even getting off the ship (although we were planning to anyway).

Do we think Disney will charge for the antigen tests onboard as well? I’ve got a cupboard full of lateral flow tests if they count?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter