Bermuda requiring paid authorization to get off ship at port

ArielRae

DIS Veteran (NJ)
Bermuda is having everyone complete a paid authorization form prior to sailing if they wish to get off the ship in port. I had no idea and nothing has been said from Disney about this. I just happen to read about it on another site and checked to find it is true. Shouldn’t Disney be informing their guests about this so they can decide to cancel or not before the penalty period?

Link to Bermuda’s website.
https://www.gov.bm/applying-bermuda-travel-authorisation

I am guessing that Disney Cruise Line is waiting until the cruises get closer to see whether this policy stays in place. The first DCL cruise to Bermuda arrives in October and cancellation fees do not begin (for non-Concierge guests) until about 2 months before sailing, in this case in the beginning of August. So there is still a couple of months for DCL to notify guests of this requirement before cancellation fees begin.

I am less concerned about people cancelling due to a $40 fee than about people who don’t get the paperwork completed in advance and then complain that they can’t disembark. Even though DCL does say that guests are responsible for meeting entry requirements at all port stops, It would certainly be desirable for them to explicitly mention this requirement to guests on cruises stopping in Bermuda.

It looks like Bermuda is also requiring negative Covid-19 tests. Hopefully, Disney provides us (or the Bermudan authorities) with the test results in an acceptable format so that we don't need to get another test somewhere. The website seems to suggest that we have to show authorities our authorization *and* Covid-19 test results when debarking in port.

It looks like Bermuda is also requiring negative Covid-19 tests. Hopefully, Disney provides us (or the Bermudan authorities) with the test results in an acceptable format so that we don't need to get another test somewhere. The website seems to suggest that we have to show authorities our authorization *and* Covid-19 test results when debarking in port.

Disney is now requiring you to test on your own 2 days before and uploading to safe passage before getting on the ship so that test should also count for the Bermuda testing since they ask you to test before getting on the ship for your cruise. Just have to make sure you have a copy of your test results with you.

As I understand it Disney uses an outside medical company for port testing which should be good for the Bermuda requirements. They should be able to provide paperwork since it is required for the port. If Disney does not give test results to passengers who test at port that would be really messed up since they would know it would be required.

9102B7A3-7B39-4BC4-A54B-0BAAE0C37784.jpeg

Last edited:

please check when Disney does release its information, because there is at least one cruise line that requires ALL passengers on Bermuda cruises to complete the form and pay the fee to the government in Bermuda, whether they intend to disembark the ship in Bermuda or not. The Bermuda website appears to back that up.

I'm not sure how that is supposed to help prevent Covid in Bermuda...you could get a NAAT test 4 days before embarking and take 4 days to get to Bermuda...8 days before arriving...that Covid test doesn't mean anything 8 days later.

Bermuda is having everyone complete a paid authorization form prior to sailing if they wish to get off the ship in port. I had no idea and nothing has been said from Disney about this. I just happen to read about it on another site and checked to find it is true. Shouldn’t Disney be informing their guests about this so they can decide to cancel or not before the penalty period?

4 months is way too far in the future for them to be informing guests. Especially given what has happened since the restart where things change literally on less than a days notice. It's a pandemic and that is the risk you take cruising . Some cruise ships still haven't returned to service, they are facing staffing shortages, and it is also hurricane season where the weather can completely change a cruise.

Last edited:
The fee could already be built into your fare.
Possible DCL will absorb the fee and pay it on behalf of passengers, but unlikely that it was already built into the cruise fares - many of those cruising have been booked since long before the requirement.

But I agree it is early and things can change in 4 months. DCL has been focused on getting their Alaska and European cruises going first. Next they can turn their attention to Bermuda. As long as they allow cancellations, there is no need to get DCL-information out yet, and while it's nice when the cruise line shares such info - it really is on the passenger to know and any passenger cruising in the current post-covid situation should be doing their research as well.

Disney is not currently cruising to Bermuda. It's probably for sure that Bermuda does not intend to exempt DCL, but their first cruise there is not until September 30.
Their first port call to Bermuda is on Sept 28 during the WBTA that leaves Dover on Sept 18.

Disney is not currently cruising to Bermuda. It's probably for sure that Bermuda does not intend to exempt DCL, but their first cruise there is not until September 30.
No. The WBTA cruise from Dover to New York departs on September 18th, and it is scheduled to stop in Bermuda on Wednesday, September 28th, prior to arrival in NY on the 30th. Since it will be more than 4 days since the ship left Dover, all passengers who are disembarking in Bermuda will need a proctored antigen test on board within two days of arrival in Bermuda. Unless things change, DCL will have to test onboard, and everyone will need to have completed the $40 application process prior to departure from Dover.

I'm at that cruise. I was just surprised they did not have it listed since you should be able to apply now.

4 months is way too far in the future for them to be informing guests. Especially given what has happened since the restart where things change literally on less than a days notice. It's a pandemic and that is the risk you take cruising . Some cruise ships still haven't returned to service, they are facing staffing shortages, and it is also hurricane season where the weather can completely change a cruise.
Ah tvguy, still haven't found that sliver lining yet have you.:)

Ah tvguy, still haven't found that sliver lining yet have you.:)
LOL. I just follow too many cruise Vlogs. Ports getting closed as the ship is trying to dock, ships having to return due to everything from covid to barnacle build up. I have found the silver lining, it just doesn't involve flying, cruises or foreign travel yet. Sorry, just spent too many years dealing with reality.

EDIT: Holland America is requiring masks on board on the Rotterdam again. Passengers found out yesterday when they boarded the ship. That is how fast things continue to change.

Last edited:
I can’t imagine that Disney is doing anything different than other cruise ships with regards to Bermuda. I had a Carnival cruise booked to Bermuda for October that I just canceled (not because of Bermuda‘s requirements). While reading Carnival’s website about the testing requirements, I discovered that you had to pay $40 for a Bermuda authorization form and show proof of a negative Covid test to go ashore. The information Carnival had differentiated between whether Bermuda was the first port after embarkation or not. That determined how many days out you could take your covid test. When I called Carnival to confirm, the representative told me how many days in advance I should test and to call back closer to the cruise to make sure nothing had changed. I agree with OP that cruise ships adopting a policy that it’s up to the customer to make sure they know and meet the entrance requirements for each port when they cruise means some people are going to have a very expensive boat ride.

not sure why if you are visiting Bermuda at the end of September you would want to pay and do the form now, considering anything can change between now and then. Bermuda probably won't give your $40 pp back if they decide they don't need this requirement anymore.

We are cruising with Royal Caribbean in July and I have learned about this about a month ago... From cruisers. Not from the cruise line.

I wish cruise lines were more open about this.

I'm on that Sept 30 cruise and just found out about the testing/application thing last week, mostly because I hadn't gone looking for it prior. I do hope it disappears between now and then, but I figure I'll check in August and plan accordingly at that point.

We're on that WBTA stopping in Bermuda. We knew about the need to register on the Sail Screen website within 2 weeks of sailing, but hadn't heard anything about additional requirements.
Does anyone have any information on whether we'll need to somehow obtain an additional negative test before arriving in NYC? Might a test for Bermuda fulfil any requirement for testing before arrival in NYC? I can't find anything on the CDC site or elsewhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter