Bengal BBQ no longer living up to hype?

AuntieKels

Mouseketeer
I watched the Dis Unplugged review of Bengal BBQ they posted two weeks ago and it was totally how I felt the last time few times I was at BB.

For years I absolutely loved the food there but over the last 1-2 years I've found the beef to be very chewy and the chicken to be uninspiring. The price is what really gets me now. It used to be expensive but fresh and delicious but now it's expensive and kinda yuck.

How have your experiences been? Has your opinion changed?

The first, and only time I've tried it was this past December. I wasn't impressed. It was tasty, but for the price, definitely could have been better.

I noticed it last year when I went. The Safari Skewer (bacon wrapped asparagus) was still good and the sauce on the Bengal Beef and Banyan Beef skewers was still tasty but the beef was really tough and chewy. I am going to still give it a try on my trip next month (oooooo I can't believe it is next month) because I thought it might have been a one time thing but maybe not?

It depends on the day. My husband loves the Banyan Beef skewers and we frequently mobile order them as a snack. We can have them multiple times each trip, some times they are extremely chewy, other times perfect. I hate the inconsistency but they keep him happy.

I've always felt that the prices were high for the amount of food you're getting. Last time I went I took my husband for the first time and once we got our food he said, "that's IT?!" I never found the meat itself that tasty, it was all about the sauce. I tend not to eat there anymore because I can't justify the prices just for some yummy sauce.

We ate there in June and loved it! The pork belly is delicious!!

We went twice in May. First time, the beef was so tender and the second time it was a bit chewy. I guess it depends on the chef of the day!

Yup...I used to love it...now just kinda like it. Quality has gone way down and prices way up.

Used to be a must have...now just another option.

Still love it there, Banyan beef, pork belly and asparagus skewers are my fave!
My family makes a meal out of these 3 plus the tiger tale. Only problem is my 9 year old puts down a few PB skewers of his own so we have to get like 7 of them 🤑

We had it yesterday and really liked it. Idk what hubby ordered but it was a beef skewer in a sauce with rice and slaw. We gobbled it up.

I like it but it’s too expensive for what you get, especially the “meal” with rice and slaw. It’s really good, just not enough rice and slaw to justify the price, even with my AP discount.

I also feel the beef is hit or miss unfortunately.

Agreed, and I had it (rice plate) tonight. The beef was gristly--I had to spit out half a piece. Chicken was cold by the time I got it too.

The real problem for me is mobile ordering. We've tried it twice there in the last month, and both times the CMs have said the orders were not received 15 minutes after DW or I punched the 'I Am Here' button.

Tonight I seriously wanted to complain about the whole system to City Hall, the service was that bad--especially for $16. You can get Dim Sum at the P.F. Chang's around the corner for half the price and double the quality. I heard Bengal was lousy in the '80s, and it demonstrated how tonight.

Last edited:
We only ever order the Safari Skewers and sometimes the pork belly skewers. So far, things have been yummy as usual. Prices have gone up, but the AP discount does help a bit.

It's a delicious option for vegetarians, we ate there twice in May and the food was good. The issue we had was that we mobile ordered and both times I could have queued quicker, I'm talking 20 plus minutes of waiting for some veggie skewers to be ready. Wasn't pleased, but still love those skewers!

I agree with the OP. I've been eating there since it first opened and back then, it was very good. It was like a family secret for a few years. No lines, always excellent food and feeling really vibrant after eating there.

The past couple years, it seems more fast foodly. The chicken almost seems to be some type of compressed chicken and the skewer is very spartan. The veggie skewer is still good. I guess they can't mess that one up too much. My family will no longer eat the beef one. I used to recommend this place to everyone. Now, I never do.

I read a while back (probably on this board) that they'd gone from fresh grilled to precooked and just heated up. I can't vouch for the truth of that, but it sure seems that way. Just brushing sauce on precooked meat isn't going to be the same as truly grilled.

That said, I do think the pork bellies are really good and I can share a meal with my sister if we get an extra skewer. I ordered a meal at Tropical Hideaway and I thought it was expensive and awful, so I just mobile ordered a pork belly skewer (which I think are really great), ran over and picked it up and was happy. I was with my friends at a table in TH and they were sharing some food and a big dole whip thing so it worked out. Can't say there's anything much on the TH menu that appeals to me. I don't even like Dole Whips much.

We only get the vegetable and bacon wrapped asparagus skewers there and we love them every time.

I watched the Dis Unplugged review of Bengal BBQ they posted two weeks ago and it was totally how I felt the last time few times I was at BB.

For years I absolutely loved the food there but over the last 1-2 years I've found the beef to be very chewy and the chicken to be uninspiring. The price is what really gets me now. It used to be expensive but fresh and delicious but now it's expensive and kinda yuck.

How have your experiences been? Has your opinion changed?
Ditto for me actually.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter