Bending the rules

bard

Earning My Ears
So here in PA our kids start school 08/29. Since we really don't want our kids to miss any school, but we also would really like to go to Disney with the free Dining plan. Here's my idea, we arrive 08/23 and depart 08/28. But we rent a room a few days past our departure date therefore getting the meal vouchers for those additional days. Of course this will only work if they give us the meal vouchers when we first check in.

I know this is a bit underhanded and maybe unethical, but do you think it would work?

Thanks for any input (if you think I'm a scumbag you can let me know that to)

Ignoring the ethics or feasibility of that plan, you could probably pay for the dining plan for the first 2 days of your trip for less than paying for additional nights at rack rate.

It seems to me that a room at one of the budget hotels could be had for around $80 a night, while the meal plan for 4 of us would be about $160 a day

I can't swear to it, but I'm guessing that they don't give you the meal vouchers until you check in for reservation number two.

Well, I believe in Karma, and I wouldn't try to cheat Disney. That makes them raise their prices just like shoplifting in stores. However, I do think it's feasible. I think your food credits are on your card and you can use them as you see fit. So, you would get to use the credits even if you left 2 days early. Just be prepared for the bad Karma to come back on you.

You'd have to split your reservation to take advantage of the free dining, which begins on the 26th. On that day, you'd have to check out and check in again, getting new cards, which would then have your dining credits attached. You wouldn't have access to those credits until you checked in on the 26th.

You'd have to split your reservation to take advantage of the free dining, which begins on the 26th. On that day, you'd have to check out and check in again, getting new cards, which would then have your dining credits attached. You wouldn't have access to those credits until you checked in on the 26th.

Agreed!

Ignoring my thoughts on cheating the system!

Tiiiigergirl. I think there would only be 1 reservation so I would think we'd get all the vouchers on arrival.

jojoandhb I for one don't believe in Karma. Although I do believe in trying to do the right thing and I'm not sure this is right (actually quite sure it's not) But I feel like Disney's getting their money from me either way

ch1103 If this is true then obviously my scheming would be all for naught

If I am understanding you correctly, I don't see how this would be cheating, or underhanded, or anything like that since you wouldn't be getting anything you didn't pay for.

Maybe I'm not understanding you though, because I am confused. Free dining begins 8/26. That means any reservation that begins earlier than that cannot involve free dining. So in order to get free dining with your dates, you'd have to have two reservations--one which begins 8/23 and one which begins 8/26. Only the 8/26 reservation would include the free dining plan, and only then would you get the key card which has the free dining plan credits attached to it. I assume you wanted to be able to use the free dining credits from 8/23 to 8/26--but that won't work.

On the other hand, if you want to have extra credits to use from 8/26 til your departure date and you want to pay for an extra few days of a hotel that you won't use, you would be able to do that. And I think that would be perfectly ethical and perfectly within Disney's rules.

I didn't realize I would need to have 2 seperate reservations. My hope was that I would be able to use the dining credits before 08/26, but I guess that won't work. I wouldn't have done it anyhow, I'd have felt too bad.

Thanks for everyones input. It's very nice of you all to help out people you don't even know :thumbsup2

Yea...great idea but it's one that won't work. It is kinda silly (IMO) that those who check in on the last day of the dinning promo can have the free dinning for their whole trip....but those who check in befor the start of the dinning promo can't have it until the "Official" start date. But that's a totally diffrent topic. Anyways like the previous poster already said...they don't hand out meal vouchers...the dinning plan is on your KTTW card...it shows up when you swip your card.

From what I understand is once you check out you loose any meal credits you have not used. So I don't think it would work.

So here in PA our kids start school 08/29. Since we really don't want our kids to miss any school, but we also would really like to go to Disney with the free Dining plan. Here's my idea, we arrive 08/23 and depart 08/28. But we rent a room a few days past our departure date therefore getting the meal vouchers for those additional days. Of course this will only work if they give us the meal vouchers when we first check in.

I know this is a bit underhanded and maybe unethical, but do you think it would work?

Thanks for any input (if you think I'm a scumbag you can let me know that to)

If you're leaving for home the 28th....you can't get free dining at all....it starts the 26th and there's a THREE night minimum to book it. So....you'll be staying overnight at WDW only the 26th and 27th, right? Thus only two nights and you can't get free dining whether you book two separate reservations or not.

It seems to me that a room at one of the budget hotels could be had for around $80 a night, while the meal plan for 4 of us would be about $160 a day

$80 a night is the rack rate? Is that during the dates of the promo?

So keep the kids out of school. Its the first week of school, not like there going to hit quantum physics during day one ;)

but seriously if i remember my days in school the first week was kinda lame any how.

I really hope that you are able to figure something out that works for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter