Belts: a security tip + park report

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
I don’t always wear a belt, but when I do I make sure not to wear it through the Disney security checkpoint because it will trigger an entire body search. Since I bring my own lunch, I simply put it in my lunch bag. Yesterday, however, after my day at DL I exited security to see the dragon that hangs from the ceiling of Disney's Grand Californian. It marks/celebrates the year of the dragon. I forgot that I had my belt on and when I returned to Downtown Disney, it set off the metal detector and they had to scan my entire body, have me empty my pockets and they inspected my belt. I could have saved myself all of that time and aggravation had I remembered to remove it again. Lesson learned for next time.

Crowds at the rope yesterday seemed heavy and when the park gates opened, we saw at least a dozen runners on Main Street. That never bodes well for rope drop and we identified several potential runners as the countdown to 8:00 was nearly over (people stretching and so forth).

When the rope dropped, we “walked with intention” (as fast as we could) towards PP and we had a healthy lead on the other guests. However, as we approached the castle, we heard a girl as she ran up behind us and then saw her when she passed. I always hate when people run for two main reasons. 1. It feels like cheating, since other guests who follow the rules by not running are penalized, in effect. 2. It often triggers other guests to run.

In any case, once we were through the castle, CMs cautioned the girl not to run and she slowed down. I was able to pass her in the final fifty feet or so and we were first in line for PP. I’ve said many times before that it’s not particularly important to me to be first on PP. I just like to be the first in line. Often when there’s a child behind me (and they seem to have a good attitude), I’ll let them have my first-place spot. But since this girl ran and her family of six wanted to join her at the front of the line, I decided not to gift it to her.

Buzz was plagued with problems yesterday, among which were that several key targets didn’t always work and/or my scores didn’t come through. Once I scored 1.9M and another time 1.8. Neither came through and I was knocked out of first place by 1,711,000, about 600 points more than my second-place score. It made for a frustrating morning. On days like that, I always remind myself to keep things in perspective. Even a bad day at Disneyland is usually a pretty good day.

I bumped into a few friends, one of whom is a CM on Buzz. We’ll often talk for 20-30 minutes and she lifts my spirits. Otherwise, things we pretty typical for a Disney Sunday, despite it being Super Bowl Sunday. I’ve often seen that major events such as the SB, the Oscars or the Grammys don’t seem to have much effect on Disney crowds.

Some park pics.

IMG_8218.jpegIMG_8223.jpegIMG_8224.jpegIMG_8227.jpegIMG_8238.jpegIMG_8241.jpegIMG_8258.jpegIMG_8263.jpegIMG_8265.jpegIMG_8246.jpeg

I hate runners. Saw a grown man running toward Frozen at Epcot at rope drop one morning. He fell and smashed his face into the pavement. It was pretty horrific and probably ruined his vacation at a minimum. It's just not worth it. Thanks for the update. I have to remember to take off my Apple watch; it always sets off the metal detectors at the airport.

I don’t always wear a belt, but when I do I make sure not to wear it through the Disney security checkpoint because it will trigger an entire body search.
I wore a belt everyday during our recent 5 day visit in Jan. I found the metal detectors would go off about 50% of the time. When I was expecting to hear the alarm it never happened. I would surmise some detectors are more sensitive than others.

I don’t always wear a belt, but when I do I make sure not to wear it through the Disney security checkpoint because it will trigger an entire body search. Since I bring my own lunch, I simply put it in my lunch bag. Yesterday, however, after my day at DL I exited security to see the dragon that hangs from the ceiling of Disney's Grand Californian. It marks/celebrates the year of the dragon. I forgot that I had my belt on and when I returned to Downtown Disney, it set off the metal detector and they had to scan my entire body, have me empty my pockets and they inspected my belt. I could have saved myself all of that time and aggravation had I remembered to remove it again. Lesson learned for next time.

Crowds at the rope yesterday seemed heavy and when the park gates opened, we saw at least a dozen runners on Main Street. That never bodes well for rope drop and we identified several potential runners as the countdown to 8:00 was nearly over (people stretching and so forth).

When the rope dropped, we “walked with intention” (as fast as we could) towards PP and we had a healthy lead on the other guests. However, as we approached the castle, we heard a girl as she ran up behind us and then saw her when she passed. I always hate when people run for two main reasons. 1. It feels like cheating, since other guests who follow the rules by not running are penalized, in effect. 2. It often triggers other guests to run.

In any case, once we were through the castle, CMs cautioned the girl not to run and she slowed down. I was able to pass her in the final fifty feet or so and we were first in line for PP. I’ve said many times before that it’s not particularly important to me to be first on PP. I just like to be the first in line. Often when there’s a child behind me (and they seem to have a good attitude), I’ll let them have my first-place spot. But since this girl ran and her family of six wanted to join her at the front of the line, I decided not to gift it to her.

Buzz was plagued with problems yesterday, among which were that several key targets didn’t always work and/or my scores didn’t come through. Once I scored 1.9M and another time 1.8. Neither came through and I was knocked out of first place by 1,711,000, about 600 points more than my second-place score. It made for a frustrating morning. On days like that, I always remind myself to keep things in perspective. Even a bad day at Disneyland is usually a pretty good day.

I bumped into a few friends, one of whom is a CM on Buzz. We’ll often talk for 20-30 minutes and she lifts my spirits. Otherwise, things we pretty typical for a Disney Sunday, despite it being Super Bowl Sunday. I’ve often seen that major events such as the SB, the Oscars or the Grammys don’t seem to have much effect on Disney crowds.

Some park pics.

View attachment 833472View attachment 833473View attachment 833474View attachment 833475View attachment 833476View attachment 833477View attachment 833478View attachment 833479View attachment 833480View attachment 833481
Awesome pictures! looking forward to our first visit!

I hate runners. Saw a grown man running toward Frozen at Epcot at rope drop one morning. He fell and smashed his face into the pavement. It was pretty horrific and probably ruined his vacation at a minimum. It's just not worth it. Thanks for the update. I have to remember to take off my Apple watch; it always sets off the metal detectors at the airport.

I wear my Apple watch all the time to the park. It has never set anything off. You should be ok. Then again, I don't recall it setting things off at the airport either.

I wear my Apple watch all the time to the park. It has never set anything off. You should be ok. Then again, I don't recall it setting things off at the airport either.
I’m good at WDW, because they use the scanners. However, my watch and band are stainless steel, not aluminum, so it sets off the TSA metal detectors. Sets off the detectors at Universal Orlando and other places using metal detectors.

I have to remove my belt too. It’s got grommets all over it and always causes an issue. I sure wish Disneyland would get the scanners that WDW has…so much easier!

All depends on your belt and buckle...been through countless times wearing a belt without ever setting it off...nor anyone in my party.

Please don't take your belt off unless you KNOW it will trip as that is gonna just slow the whole line down for everyone.

Pretty sad that someone's excitement makes you "hate" them.

Regarding the belt-- my husband is at that awkward weight loss place where one size of shorts is too big, but the smaller size is still too tight. If he takes off his belt, he's having to literally hold his shorts up to avoid undies exposure... so he'd just tell security about the belt, and they'd do a quick wand of his body, and Hubs would have the belt flipped before they got to his waist. Maybe an extra 45 seconds to get through security. Easy peasy.

Our grandsons go through without issue obviously, and then just stop and say something to the effect of "it's grandpa's belt check!" 😂 They think every man has to automatically get wanded for belts.

He and everyone else who saw him weren't happy or excited after seeing the results. Luckily, he didn't fall on someone and hurt them.
Yes, I know I am always concerned about people falling on me and hurting me. Happens all the time. Constant worry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter