Being turned away at the port

Does anyone have any idea how many have tested positive at Port Canaveral specifically? I know that no one knows exact numbers but based on positing by people on boards or social media or wherever/
I just got off the dream this morning, and from what I gathered there were a good amount people that were not cleared. Now it’s not that all the passengers tested positive, but if 1 person tested positive in your group, then nobody in party is permitted to board. There were 1021 people on the dream that sailed

I just got off the dream this morning, and from what I gathered there were a good amount people that were not cleared. Now it’s not that all the passengers tested positive, but if 1 person tested positive in your group, then nobody in party is permitted to board. There were 1021 people on the dream that sailed
Can you guess at what a good number was?

We are leaving Canada on the 22nd of October for a 24th DCL cruise. We have to get our kids (4) and (6) tested 1-3 days prior, correct? So is anytime on the 21st acceptable, or is it 72 hours. And the other three of us are fully vaxxed, but as Canadians we need to also take the tests, right? And any PCR test is acceptable, correct? It can be rapid, just not the antigen tests.

Trying to get it nailed down - although I realize things might change between now and then.

We are leaving Canada on the 22nd of October for a 24th DCL cruise. We have to get our kids (4) and (6) tested 1-3 days prior, correct? So is anytime on the 21st acceptable, or is it 72 hours. And the other three of us are fully vaxxed, but as Canadians we need to also take the tests, right? And any PCR test is acceptable, correct? It can be rapid, just not the antigen tests.

Trying to get it nailed down - although I realize things might change between now and then.
The last time I chatted with DCL about this, they told me we didn't have to present a test and it's also no longer worded that way on the Know before you go page. I would say check with them again closer to your cruise. I'm going on mine on Oct 2 but my PCR test to get into the US is on the 29 so if for some reasons we did need to be tested, I'll be covered but I don't intend to upload it on the Safe Passage website because we already got the clear to sail.

The last time I chatted with DCL about this, they told me we didn't have to present a test and it's also no longer worded that way on the Know before you go page. I would say check with them again closer to your cruise. I'm going on mine on Oct 2 but my PCR test to get into the US is on the 29 so if for some reasons we did need to be tested, I'll be covered but I don't intend to upload it on the Safe Passage website because we already got the clear to sail.
Nasal that is self-administered.
Nasal really isn’t that bad. 5 turns in each nostril. Don’t need to jam it all the way up either

Thanks! I guess we do need them anyhow - just want to be careful about timing as it's $$$

If turned away at the port because of a positive covid test, does DCL refund the cost of the entire reservation or just the one person who tested positive? We are a group of 5 and have 2 rooms with 2 different reservation numbers. But we will all be flying together, staying at the same resort the night before and taking the same car to the port.

Does anyone know how most people have been handling being turned away? Renting a car and driving home? Flying private? Quarantined in a hotel? Trying to figure out what the worst case scenarios are....

We were denied boarding on Friday's Dream cruise. We had two parties, my husband and I and a friend. We had separate reservations, separate rooms. Our friend tested positive at the port, we tested negative. Since we all arrived in the same car, none of us were allowed to sail. They provided all of us with a voucher for a future cruise credit in the value of our original reservation, minus travel insurance (we don't get that money back). We also had to call the port to get a refund on our parking charges.

We had to wait for our luggage to be retrieved (about an hour) and the paperwork for the cruise credit. We drove to the port so I can't answer on what happens if you come via bus.

The person who tested positive got retested Friday and received their results this morning and was negative. The port will not re-test, they will only re-look at the test you already took to make sure they didn't read it wrong.

I'm starting to think DCL needs to re-think its policy of testing at the port. Despite vaccinations, positive tests are rising each month and so many of those are asymptomatic. It might get to the point where people are being turned away by the dozens. Requiring vaccination should be enough. It seems that the virus is going to virus and there's no way to stop it. The vaccines prevent serious illness in most cases. I think we've gotten to the point where we just have to live with it. I look and see pro and college football stadiums filled with people. Maybe it's time DCL does the same--require a vaccination and those who are ready to cruise go and those not ready, not. I know this is going to open a can of worms here but I just think it's time for DCL to reconsider its policy.

I'm so sorry that happened to you and Thanks for sharing your experience.

The fact that your friend didn't have COVID and tested positive once, just increases the feeling that you're rolling the dice when you show up to the port. I find it so strange that they won't test again just to make sure, unless they feel that it'd bring into question their whole testing process...

I'm so sorry that happened to you and Thanks for sharing your experience.

The fact that your friend didn't have COVID and tested positive once, just increases the feeling that you're rolling the dice when you show up to the port. I find it so strange that they won't test again just to make sure, unless they feel that it'd bring into question their whole testing process...

To put the whole thing in perspective, we all did rapid tests the Friday before sailing, we all stayed home 24/7 for the entire week leading up to the cruise. We all had rapid tests done that morning before heading to the port. We get to the port and one out of three tests positive. The doctor at the port was trying to convince our friend to go get antibodies done. He had no symptoms and two previous negative tests. The doctor said it is the CDC rule that they cannot retest. I am sure it is because if they retested and the next result was different, all of the tests would be brought into question.

I want to reschedule but now I am paranoid. We have a cruise booked in December with 25 people. I will NOT ride with anyone else. lol

We were denied boarding on Friday's Dream cruise. We had two parties, my husband and I and a friend. We had separate reservations, separate rooms. Our friend tested positive at the port, we tested negative. Since we all arrived in the same car, none of us were allowed to sail. They provided all of us with a voucher for a future cruise credit in the value of our original reservation, minus travel insurance (we don't get that money back). We also had to call the port to get a refund on our parking charges.

We had to wait for our luggage to be retrieved (about an hour) and the paperwork for the cruise credit. We drove to the port so I can't answer on what happens if you come via bus.

The person who tested positive got retested Friday and received their results this morning and was negative. The port will not re-test, they will only re-look at the test you already took to make sure they didn't read it wrong.
So they provided all with a voucher for a future cruise credit and refunded the cruise you were denied boarding?

So they provided all with a voucher for a future cruise credit and refunded the cruise you were denied boarding?

No. The provided us with a paper that says "as a goodwill gesture, you will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of your current cruise voyage fair" They will NOT cover the taxes, fees or insurance we paid for, so we lose that money.

No. The provided us with a paper that says "as a goodwill gesture, you will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of your current cruise voyage fair" They will NOT cover the taxes, fees or insurance we paid for, so we lose that money.
Did they give the option of a refund instead of the credit? Is there an expiration date on the credit? I think the official policy is 9/30/22.

The woman at the port said no option for refund, but I will be calling them to request one, especially since the person who tested positive at the port took a second test that was negative and we have five other cruises booked through next year and I don't want to add in another one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter