• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Being nosey about points

Fantasia Sam

I've been here so much longer!
OK so we're doing the presentation and even though Paul keeps saying "if" we buy into this I know we "will" do this ;) LOL

Anyhow I was just being nosey as to how many points most people bought into?

I also really like sound of that magical beginning thingy that sounds cool - don't know if that will work for us with the timings and stuff.

Hi Sam :)

We have 165 points.

To work that out we decided that we'd be happy to always go to the BCV if needed, so we worked out how many points to stay there at the times of year we'd be most likely to travel (246), we didn't really want to stretch to that many to start with, so we times that by 2 and divided it by 3 (164 but we rounded up). This way we can spend 2 weeks there, 2 years out of every 3, if that makes sense.

I know you didn't ask how we decided how many to buy, but I have a tendency to waffle! lol

Ooh Sam, I see a new member waiting in the wings! ;)

We started out with 150 points, and then added on another massive 25 :rolleyes:, making a grand total of 175. We only added on because we were doing a trip with lots of family last year and it made things a bit easier without borrowing too much from the following year's points.

We weren't at all mathematical about working out how many points we needed - we just bought the minimum (before the add-on), resolving to make those points work for us in whatever way they could. If we don't have enough points to do what we want to do, we do something else!;) :teeth:

We have 150 points Sam. But I need more.................

You will need thousands as you are alway's at WDW - only joking ;)

Kaylee

Hi,
We bought 210 points at BWV 3 years ago and after various add-ons (3) we now have 412.Yes we do like our holidays!!
It's the next best thing to living in Florida and makes the drab winter days at work seem that little bit more bearable.

Mick.

:smooth:

Like Mick we bought 210 points at BWV - did the tour and were blown away by the jacuzzi bath (I bet that happens to a lot of people!). We then did a small add-on of 40 about 6 months later after our first trip to bring the total up to 250.

Ideally we'd like to add another 60-80 at BVW via the resale market later, but need to do a little bit of saving up first!

Paul

Hi Sam

We were staying at Wilderness Lodge overlooking the building of the new villas a few years ago ..... and stupidly didn't buy then and there !

Eventually a couple of years ago, we bought 200 points at VWL and then last year bought another 65 at BCV ( 65 gives us sunday - thursday anytime of the year in a studio )

The next purchase will be a SSR (downtown disney) - Fiona is a shopahollic :rolleyes: but that will probably be 2004.

The best bit for us was buying in Oct/Nov but getting an April use year, so we had 4 or 5 months to use a years worth of point. We didn't have the time to do that, so we have always had points to bank. ( although this year looks like they will all be used up ;) )

David :D

Hi Sam

We bought 180 points at BWV in 1998, with the intention of visiting every other year and by banking and borrowing points we could enjoy the luxury of the 1 bed rooms.

However the temptation to go every year was too much and a few years later and no points left to bank or borrow, we bought an add on. We now have 220, still not enough but it gives us a 2 week holiday each year (well almost, we did have to rent some additional points off another DVC member this to take the grandparents.)

Jools

We bought the 150 minimum at VWL in 2001 with the intension of going twice every three years in a studio. Then I worked out we could go three times every four years by only using 13 nights for points and paying cash somewhere for the 14th night. Then I got so fed up trying to work the points out to make them stretch out that we bought a 72 point add on at BCV last year :teeth:

Now with 222 points we can go every year and this year will be our first trip to BCV - we can go once every three years to BCV and twice in three years to VWL with an eleven month booking window for both resorts.

My advice is buy as many points as you can/need, otherwise you'll end up buying more at a later date and probably a higher price.

Ian

So basically "get as many as I can afford" OK I think you're right.

Kaylee you're a cheeky mod ;)

I've got 240, which I've found enough. But I have had to go without DVC accommodation a couple of trips in order to build up enough points to get a larger unit for a following trip. It's easier to buy "add ons" than it is to sell extra points you don't need and having maybe 10% less points than you really need does make you aware of how to make the best use of your points for each trip.

We bought 200 points at OKW last December. We haven't been 'home' yet but I'd already like more as we have to travel during school holidays and most of these require more points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter