Being in the US election

Hockeychic

Going for Dopey 2025
Hello all

we are set to be in the US during the US presidential election in Nov and after what happened after the last election I am a little bit worried

Am I just being overly paranoid or do you think my worries are well founded?

just curious what you all think?

kim

Hello all

we are set to be in the US during the US presidential election in Nov and after what happened after the last election I am a little bit worried

kim
So just my honest thoughts

My sons (all 3 of them) asked me to skip next Nov.
So I am going later in the season.
Hugs Mel

Hello all

kim
This is a touchy subject and could potentially be locked since political discussions are kinda a no go here.

I'll take a general stab at it anyways 🤪
Depending on why you're in the USA during the actual election in November i doubt you'll notice much of anything. If you're going to Disney, you will have zero chance of being near a polling station. If you're taking about what happened on January 6th, that's a different beast, not election day, won't happen until the same time in 2025.

Adding a little extra personal thoughts here - people in general seem to be much more volatile and quick to react in anger over the smallest things. The polarizing effects of the political climate we're living thru seems to be pulling back the curtain to expose the ugly. There will be a lot of upset and angry people no matter who gets elected this year. Can things get to the point that you need to be worried? Yup, but would I change a trip over it? Maybe depending on where I'm going.

Thank you both. We will actually be at Disney and on the coast. Don’t want a political discussion just worried about what could happen regardless of who wins.

we booked this a few months ago and just recently noticed the dates.

thank you both again.

Yes this is a real question. Maybe I am being paranoid and reading way too much into which is why I wanted to ask the opinion of other Canadians.

why does there always have to be a nasty comment. You don’t need to answer or respond just scroll on by.

thank you to those with helpful information.

Last edited:

The insurrection didn't happen until two months after the election. I think you'll be safe.

Thank you. I think I was just more worried about disruptions. I feel better just even seeing others responses and I appreciate them all.

Have a great day all!

Yes, you are being overly paranoid. The chances of any of your traveling party coming to any harm due to the election taking place in the US is an infinitesimal fraction of the chance of being injured in an auto accident driving to or from the airport.

Don’t want a political discussion just worried about what could happen regardless of who wins.

Just wanted to post an FYI. The moderation might have eased up a bit but a few years ago I got a warning in this section for posting that the Canadian dollar might drop against the US$ due to whatever the outcome was of an election there.

Yes this is a real question. Maybe I am being paranoid and reading way too much into which is why I wanted to ask the opinion of other Canadians.

why does there always have to be a nasty comment. You don’t need to answer or respond just scroll on by.
I apologize for answering. I didn't know you were asking the opinion of other Canadians. And I did not think my comment was nasty - I'm sorry you felt it was. I have removed it.

Do I think you’re being extremely cautious? Yes. Do I think there is a high likelihood of something happening especially in Orlando? No.

But that being said, sometimes in America being cautious is smart, no one goes into a movie theater or a concert or grocery store in the US expecting a mass shooting but they do happen. Most of us don’t think the likelihood is high that when we send our children off to school that they might not come home but sadly for some families that is a reality they have had to live.

Most likely, you will be fine, but upsettingly it only takes one heinous act to change that

Edited to add that I’m not Canadian, so I might not be the audience looking to ask

I'd be apprehensive and cautious. I'm purposely not booking my vacation in that time frame. Although there are many other very tangible reasons why I don't travel to WDW in November including price, attendance starting to pick up in the parks, etc. I used to love the weather in November but over the years seasonal pricing has made it less attractive.

I follow many US vloggers and have for years. Most have their own little homesteads. I love their cooking, baking and canning videos. Over the past weeks, almost all have warned about next Nov. I appreciate they have a more rural perspective that may reflect their own opinions about big cities like Orlando. Those opinions will be very, very different than those who actually live in urban areas. The gist being nearly half of people will be very unhappy come Nov. For me, the worry and concern about it pre-trip is realistically more of a problem. I enjoy planning my trip. Planning is a big part of the joy of my trip. I wouldn't want that worry in the back of my mind.

Bear in mind that every Disney park has metal detectors and prohibits weapons. So if anyone is worried about being shot by marauding mobs who are unhappy about the election result, you are probably safer in a Disney park than in most other places.

Bear in mind that every Disney park has metal detectors and prohibits weapons. So if anyone is worried about being shot by marauding mobs who are unhappy about the election result, you are probably safer in a Disney park than in most other places.
While this is true, until a teleportation device is created, we still need to get to the bubble! one of the trips we were on just after they put up the detectors hit a snag when someone in front of us managed to get thru and then took out his "safety only" device from under the stroller <shrug> I know that we had significant trouble crossing the border with one of our d-i-l's who holds dual citizenship with one of the countries that was on the initial "blocked" list, the border agent held all the cards at that point.

While this is true, until a teleportation device is created, we still need to get to the bubble! one of the trips we were on just after they put up the detectors hit a snag when someone in front of us managed to get thru and then took out his "safety only" device from under the stroller <shrug> I know that we had significant trouble crossing the border with one of our d-i-l's who holds dual citizenship with one of the countries that was on the initial "blocked" list, the border agent held all the cards at that point.

And, in the context of the OP's question... *IF* the worst were to happen and things were to go horribly sideways, even if everything was perfectly safe within the WDW bubble of the park and its resorts... one does need to eventually *get home*, which is well over 1000 miles away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter