Beginning 9/13 All DCL Cruisers to Bahamas Must Take Covid Test at Port

When did I say I needed testing at port? I said I suggested this months ago. Additionally policies should have been in place with all write-ups that as soon as a port requires testing Disney releases the press release, updates their site, and emails/texts everyone on the impacted sailings. This is squarely on Disney for not being fully prepared and being slow to react. There will be changes and they should be ready for them not being reactive and slow.

I am perfectly fine with changes its how slow Disney is that annoys me. It took them how long to announce the changes post bahamas requirements. They waited how long to announce anything on the Fantasy/Dream and just as I predicted things changed so there is no reason to hold back the policies to start with since they will change anyways.

Also I actually cancelled this week my CAT V with Disney (Fantasy which became a b2b Dream) and moved to NCL who is 100% vaccinated, tests everyone at port, and highly suggests now testing 72 hours prior to port arrival. First time to Alaska and on NCL but with the limited aspects of DCL right now figured it was a good time to try something different with low crowds not entering any foreign port.
That is interesting, I wonder if DCL would consider doing away with the under 12s PCR since everyone is getting tested at the port anyway. I think it's perfectly sensible and responsible to encourage all travelers, regardless of V status, to get tested before traveling (logistics of meeting a specific time frame is what's causing me heartburn).
Well carnival and royal just changed to 2 days... so when does DCL follow....

Do you know if theirs is PCR?

So you are telling me that when I paid for everything thru DCL -

from air , preday at a port hotel , ground transfers , the DCL vacation itself , trip insurance etc and happen to test positive at port when I’m fully vaxed that DCL will refund my money fully .. and that’s it??

ok …. So does DCL have a place where people can sit at the port and book passage back home ?

does DCL or anyone else recommend any ground transfers companies I can then call to sync up both air and ground ???

Wow!
And I mean wow!!

Just makes ya wanna set up a margarita stand right at the port -

T.T..F..N
I understand your concern and think that you probably have quite a bit of anxiety about this whole situation. I do as well and I would like to make some suggestions to possibly help you and others out. Go out ASAP and get your hands on some BinaxNOW tests. They are fairly cheap, about $23 for 2 tests, and are somewhat hard to find in stock right now. Make your plane reservations for no more than the day before your cruise. IE: If you are cruising on Fri plan to go to FL on Thursday. The night before your plane trip take your BinaxNOW tests 2 per person. If there are any positives, cancel. My understanding is that false negatives are more likely than false positives hence why you are taking 2 tests per person. If you are a Costco member, make a car reservation for the day of your cruise at the port. This way you will at least have a vehicle. You can cancel same day without a penalty. Don't count on or expect Disney or anyone else to do anything for you. If they do, great. If not, then you need to be prepared to take care of yourself and your family. I heard that RCL is taking care of their customers that test positive at the port, but only if they have a negative test result with them taken within I think 48 hours of arrival (the BinaxNOW unsupervised don't count)

Any other suggestions that people have I would like to hear. Let's not assume that Disney will help out in any way for port positives, beyond the refund of the cruise. Disney is running on cheap mode right now.

...and this is the letter I just received from disney via email...now who is correct, the disney repres or this letter??

...and this is the letter I just received from disney via email...now who is correct, the disney repres or this letter?? Screenshot_20210903-181332_Email.jpg

It states NOTHING about a test at the port?🤣🤣
Well technically it does say that children under 12 and those who have travelled out of the country within 5 days will be tested at the terminal, but it does not say anything about others needing any testing. The thing that I find odd is that the new rules are supposed to take place starting Sept 13 and your letter is referencing Sept 3- Nov 1. Maybe they sent you the wrong letter. I would not put it past them.

I finally got through to DCL after 3 hours on hold. The CM told me that you can cancel a VGT for a full refund or move your sail date, but today is the last date to do so. I cancelled for now.
Lucky! My TA said when she called they told her restricted rate cannot be cancelled until we are there and denied boarding. It’s like calling your cell phone carrier or (in our case) dealing with the IT people at work. If you get an unhappy answer just hang up and call back. If I had the ability to cancel myself, I would.

At the bottom of the Know before you go page on the DCL website it reads:

IMPORTANT

In order to sail, Guests 12 years of age and older must be vaccinated and upload their proof of vaccination to the Safe Passage website by Inspire Diagnostics. Guests 11 years of age and under must upload proof of a negative pre-trip COVID-19 test to Safe Passage. The test must be a rapid PCR test or lab-based PCR test. Rapid antigen tests are not accepted. A parent or legal guardian will need to use their own account to provide this information on their behalf. All Guests, regardless of age and vaccination status, are required to take a COVID-19 test administered by Inspire Diagnostics at the terminal before boarding. Learn more below.

Lucky! My TA said when she called they told her restricted rate cannot be cancelled until we are there and denied boarding. It’s like calling your cell phone carrier or (in our case) dealing with the IT people at work. If you get an unhappy answer just hang up and call back. If I had the ability to cancel myself, I would.
I feel like I must have been lucky! The CM was super friendly and helpful. He said it’s been crazy today. I almost gave up on getting through after 2 hours on hold, still can’t believe it took 3.

I feel like I must have been lucky! The CM was super friendly and helpful. He said it’s been crazy today. I almost gave up on getting through after 2 hours on hold, still can’t believe it took 3.
My 25 year old son in his infinite wisdom nailed it when I was whining to him about our predicament: “Mom, that’s why I told y’all I won’t be booking any cruises with any cruise line until everything is back to normal. You are handing them your money then they can drag you around by a noose dangling your money in front of you. I will not.” I wish I’d been wise as him! I had a moment of desperation and booked.

Do you know if theirs is PCR?

Royal is Antigen or PCR for pre-testing, 2-11 yo kids get a PCR rapid test at terminal, 0-2 yo have no testing
Carnival is Antigen or PCR for pre-testing (a YTuber stated Carnival hopes to have testing at port by November in cases people have a hard time getting a pre-test)
NCL suggests a test within 72 hrs but does testing of everyone at the terminal (they also are 100% vaccinated only)

If you test positive at the port, who gets that information? Where is it reported? Anywhere other than people at DCL?

Because the tests are not reliable, especially Insta-tests. The test may say positive but are you? Even DCL isn’t confident in the tests because they’re willing to retest. A whole slew of things can cause a positive test. It’s a known problem.
I hear ya. It’s a risk I know. I just went through it.

When I tested positive for Covid I was mildly symptomatic. I’ve probably had 30 PCR Covid tests since then because they were required weekly where I work and they were all negative.
I don’t have any advice for you, but it’s a chance you have to take if you want to cruise. It stinks, but it’s what you have to go through to travel these days.

It’s a bummer you can’t cancel with a VGT rate if it’s something you don’t want to do. I’m surprised DCL is not accommodating you.

Royal is Antigen or PCR for pre-testing, 2-11 yo kids get a PCR rapid test at terminal, 0-2 yo have no testing
Carnival is Antigen or PCR for pre-testing (a YTuber stated Carnival hopes to have testing at port by November in cases people have a hard time getting a pre-test)
NCL suggests a test within 72 hrs but does testing of everyone at the terminal (they also are 100% vaccinated only)

This is why I'm surprised that DCL went to a 24-72hr window but still require the PCR test. I'd think that if they went down from 5 days, that they'd now accept the PCR Antigen tests that are readily available(for FREE) at any CVS. The RT-PCRs can be found, but they're pricey.

I hear ya. It’s a risk I know. I just went through it.

When I tested positive for Covid I was mildly symptomatic. I’ve probably had 30 PCR Covid tests since then because they were required weekly where I work and they were all negative.
I don’t have any advice for you, but it’s a chance you have to take if you want to cruise. It stinks, but it’s what you have to go through to travel these days.

It’s a bummer you can’t cancel with a VGT rate if it’s something you don’t want to do. I’m surprised DCL is not accommodating you.

I thought the vaccine would be the thing we had to do which, admittedly, is the biggest reason we rushed to get it the moment we could back in March. And now this. I mean, at the time we booked fully vaxxed passengers were good to go. Proof of full vaccination and welcome aboard. I’ve done everything I agreed to. I honored the commitments I made. Too bad Disney isn’t.

I’m pretty surprised and disappointed DCL isn’t allowing me to cancel as well. Seems they let other VGT cruisers cancel. Other friends are getting totally different stories. It’s crazy. When we decided to book a cruise we were on the fence with which line to book. We’ve had great experiences with 3 cruise lines. But, what it boiled down to was confidence that Disney would be the most likely to do the right thing if something should change. Boy did that one blow up in my face. This would be our 21st sailing with Disney. Disappointed is a monumental understatement. Im not one to never say never but I won’t make the mistake of falling for the concept of “the Disney difference” again.

Last edited:

Per Carnival website:

Mobile Testing
We realize some of our guests are having a challenge getting a pre-cruise COVID-19 test, especially with the new two-day window established by the CDC that goes into effect on September 13, 2021. We are working to set up mobile testing sites at all our embarkation homeports to conduct a rapid test the day before or day of your departure. We are still working out the details and ask that you check back on this page. Carnival will be subsidizing the infrastructure of the mobile testing sites, but the company providing the testing will charge a per-person fee (to be established). Providers will not accept insurance, but you will be provided a receipt should you wish to submit the cost to your insurance carrier. You should consider this as a back-up alternative should you not be able to make arrangements. The mobile labs will either be in or adjacent to our terminals, or within walking distance.

Source: https://www.carnival.com/legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols

Per Carnival website:

I will just say my information came from a prominent youtuber who is constantly on cruises. Sounded like he had inside info about timing being November before anything is in place but since I wouldn't be cruising on them I didn't look in to it a ton.

I only say this so if someone is cruising with them they look in to it more.

Greetings Cruise Lovers,
With Disney performing COVID tests at the port and denying boarding for any party with positive results, then can we ditch the masks, have other folks besides our party at the dinner room table, get close to the Disney characters, and other countless items lost.
Does that make sense?
The ship is COVID free.
Just something that pop in my head.
Thanks and take care,
glen

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter