Beginning 9/13 All DCL Cruisers to Bahamas Must Take Covid Test at Port

As I read it, yes. They have been making exceptions on the private islands until now, but the new regulation says "yeah even cruise ships and private islands, yo." The testing requirement was from 8/6, but the new regulation extended it to private island visits as of next week.

Testing is also required for USVI and BVI so if DCL ever hope to get the Fantasy to those ports...
Thanks! I totally missed that announcement. I knew about USVI and BVI as my cruise was supposed to go there, but did not know about the additional new testing requirements for cruise ships to the Bahamas.

Thanks! I totally missed that announcement. I knew about USVI and BVI as my cruise was supposed to go there, but did not know about the additional new testing requirements for cruise ships to the Bahamas.
Initially they were exempting private islands. They removed that exemption.

There are quite a few questions, and for starters I would like to ask why I couldn't get answers from my TA... why did Disney NOT inform their TA before or at least as soon as they released their update dated Sept 2nd! I have been dealing with the same wonderful TA, thru DIS, for numerous cruises. I had to find out thru this site, not my TA. I waited on hold for a Disney rep for almost 3 hours yesterday to get some answers, finally! This is why I have a TA? (May I have a monitor respond...possibly John? That's not too much to ask, is it?)

This is what I know from my call with Disney:
1. YES. Everyone will need to get the pre-board testing, a swabbing
2. It could take up to 1 hour to finish (may take less time)
3. IF the first test comes back POSITIVE, they will re-test you. Funny...like they want to get a Negative?? Cuz then they let you on.
4. If they send you away...a total form will be given to you for use on an additional cruise, with black outs.

I'm so sorry...I only got info as above. I now wish I would've got additional info to answer all of your concerns.

I can tell you that the Disney agent was above Disney standards...she's a keeper! I was her last call of the night. I can only imagine where she went afterwards....🤪
#3 cracks me up. So a positive test will get you a retest. That’s great! If that one comes back negative how do you know which is accurate? They gonna do a 3rd test? Are we to keep testing until 1 renders the result we want? How does this accomplish the original goal? It’s a pretty slippery slope, honestly.

My interpretation of that comment was that the OP is fully vaxxed and booked with the assumption that the stress of testing would not apply. Because the policies changed and DCL now requires everyone to test, the OP thinks they should be eligible for for leniency with the VGT fare. (I happen to agree that the OP should be able to cancel due to a change in policies.) I don't see anyone suggesting that going to WDW is acceptable if you tested positive regardless of vaccination status.
You’re right. At the time I entered the agreement I met the conditions to sail without the stressful variable of questionable accuracy testing. If my ability to sail was going to be based upon testing I never would’ve booked. Pretty frustrating.

I wonder where Covid positive people get to stay. On the curb??? Maybe we can sit on a Disney curb because I’m sure it’s soooooo much better than non-Disney curbs. Haha!

If someone test positive at the port do they give you a refund or credit for future cruise? I'm thinking about the Fantasy Sep 18th just worried if somebody test positive do you lose all the money you paid for the cruise?
We are fully vaxxed. We have been told that we will get a full refund or reschedule if we test positive at the port and are denied boarding. This does not help with somewhere to go, how you get back home, etc. That’s still your problem. Disney hasn’t said anything about what their plans are for that. Personally I’m not leaving my details to them. They’ll change their minds a few more times. Just make sure you have a plan if your test pops positive and you have to get back home. No flying.

#3 cracks me up. So a positive test will get you a retest. That’s great! If that one comes back negative how do you know which is accurate? They gonna do a 3rd test? Are we to keep testing until 1 renders the result we want? How does this accomplish the original goal? It’s a pretty slippery slope,

🤣😂🙂

We are fully vaxxed. We have been told that we will get a full refund or reschedule if we test positive at the port and are denied boarding. This does not help with somewhere to go, how you get back home, etc. That’s still your problem. Disney hasn’t said anything about what their plans are for that. Personally I’m not leaving my details to them. They’ll change their minds a few more times. Just make sure you have a plan if your test pops positive and you have to get back home. No flying.
So you are telling me that when I paid for everything thru DCL -

from air , preday at a port hotel , ground transfers , the DCL vacation itself , trip insurance etc and happen to test positive at port when I’m fully vaxed that DCL will refund my money fully .. and that’s it??

ok …. So does DCL have a place where people can sit at the port and book passage back home ?

does DCL or anyone else recommend any ground transfers companies I can then call to sync up both air and ground ???

Wow!
And I mean wow!!

Just makes ya wanna set up a margarita stand right at the port -

T.T..F..N

Last edited:

I was shocked/disgusted to see a team of nurses boarding as we were disembarking to complete crew vaccinations. Seemed odd that they weren't already done.

I wouldn’t be - they’ve taken on a number of ‘batches’ of new cast members and believe they have to complete isolation on board before actually working on the ship - I would imagine that vaccinations are done during this time period if needed as some cast members may not have access in their home countries.

And on the question elsewhere about retesting if you test positive at port in the UK. This is done because the initial tests are lateral flow tests and the Government approach in the UK is that these then have to be confirmed by a PCR test. So it’s not a case of ‘re-testing’ and then questioning which result you go with, it’s taking what is viewed as a more accurate test to confirm the one that is viewed as less accurate.

So maybe this is just in my area...take it with a grain of salt.

In my state a fully-vaccinated individual does not need to quarantine unless they are symptomatic. If symptoms develop after the positive test, yes they should isolate until symptoms disappear. Close contacts - family members - do not need to quarantine if fully-vaccinated (under age 11 will need to quarantine as a close contact).

I don't know if WDW resorts allow or other Orlando-area resorts, but at least some hotels around here DO allow guests to check-in with a positive COVID test. They ask you to certify, and if you answer truthfully, they will ask you to remain in your hotel room. Since most hotels are not doing daily housekeeping, there isn't much difference, but it is a place to stay. Some people have used hotels to isolate and quarantine themselves, allowing family to remain at home unaffected.

I don't know how any of that may or may not be allowed in FL...

So you are telling me that when I paid for everything thru DCL -

from air , preday at a port hotel , ground transfers , the DCL vacation itself , trip insurance etc and happen to test positive at port when I’m fully vaxed that DCL will refund my money fully .. and that’s it??

ok …. So does DCL have a place where people can sit at the port and book passage back home ?

does DCL or anyone else recommend any ground transfers companies I can then call to sync up both air and ground ???
If you have a positive Covid test you can’t fly. Pretty sure ALL mass transit like buses or trains are also no longer an option. Gonna need to rent a car. Sure hope they have enough. I cringe at the thought of how much that 1-way rental will even cost.

Thats the situation for me. I did not book air, pre-cruise hotel, or transfers thru DCL. I do that myself. I booked a restricted rate thru DCL for my sailing because at the time I met all their requirements to show up and sail. I just need to be extra cautious (as per usual) so I don’t get sick or miss the cruise because I got sick. And I bought my own travel insurance, too.

But lucky me. We get to roll the dice and hope for the best.

I’m sure if you paid the premium with Disney for everything they may be more likely to take care of you. Hopefully. Good luck.

Here are my suggestions on how to work this.

First of all, if you can, sit out the first few months of sailings. The big holiday cruises are coming up, so they will need to sort everything out before then.

If you are sailing soon, book your plan B vacation right now.

1. Most car rentals don't require any credit cards when booked directly. No show, no problem. So, don't wait any longer to reserve one in case you are denied boarding.
2. Some flexible hotel rates allow you to cancel the booking until 4.00pm on the day of check-in. If you can't find one, book the cheapest that you can for one night nearby that you can get to in a taxi or ride (if needed). If it costs $100, so be it. It is what it is. Consider it the premium on any insurance you would have purchased.
3. For Day 2 onwards, book your preferred hotel which would still allow you to cancel it the day before if needed. This is your plan B vacation. Maybe book one to visit WDW/DL or at a beach.
4. If you wait until Day 2 for a car rental, you should see more availability. They will also be cheaper since the arriving guests will have returned theirs.

Yes, I know you shouldn't have to do this in the first place, but - at this point - it's everyone for themselves.

And if you do test positive (and you know have the virus), then ditch the hotel and make a bee line for home.

Last edited:
Just heard back.

No option to cancel or reschedule if you booked a restricted guaranteed rate....unless you test positive at the port and are denied boarding. Then they'll refund you.

#1. I'm calling the travel insurance people to find out what is/is not covered for getting us back home.

#2. Husband is now considering ditching his flight down and driving our large SUV instead just in case we need to get back home.

Deeeefinitely do NOT recommend to anyone I know to book a restricted rate with DCL. Ever. Basically they're continually changing terms while keeping us tied down. Too one-sided. I trusted DCL to be fair with any booking if the terms of sailing evolved. I specifically did NOT book with another cruise line even if it was less expensive because I trusted in that "Disney Difference" to give options if terms changed. When I entered the agreement I was a happy vaxxed cruiser. I didn't need to roll the dice. I met their requirements and I was good to go. Now even with the vaccine I'm subject to known-flawed testing at the port. Still rolling the dice. For locals it's probably not a big deal. When your sad drive home is 12 hours+, it's definitely more of an issue.

#3. Thinking about booking a couple rooms at the parks as a backup. We'd be able to go over there if we got denied boarding.

Here's another option.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/.../covid-19-health-concerns-qualify-for-refund/

We just booked PCR tests for Sunday (15 days prior to our sailing on the Dream). I want a baseline to confirm we didn't have covid and never knew it (we are vaccinated). Then we will test a few days before the sailing and we will be even more careful than usual the next 2 weeks. Trying to set us up for success!

We just booked PCR tests for Sunday (15 days prior to our sailing on the Dream). I want a baseline to confirm we didn't have covid and never knew it (we are vaccinated). Then we will test a few days before the sailing and we will be even more careful than usual the next 2 weeks. Trying to set us up for success!
This will be my plan too. Pre test and hope for the best.

For the other posters, I 💯 would not take my covid positive self to WDW for vacation that is extremely unethical

But does that apply to restricted guaranteed rates? It doesn't say either way. My money is on nope.
That is part of the flexible cancellation policy and under the VGT rate information, it says the rate still qualifies for the flexible cancellation policy for select dates (doesn’t specify dates). I am on hold right now to confirm.

But does that apply to restricted guaranteed rates? It doesn't say either way. My money is on nope.
I believe it does. They don’t want anyone on the ship who could become ill or spread the virus. So they have to give an out if you are ill or exposed - or people will lie and board to avoid losing funds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter