Beginning 9/13 All DCL Cruisers to Bahamas Must Take Covid Test at Port

Good question. I did see some getting refused boarding, and they gave the kid a free Minnie plush, however I don't know what happened next. In the UK at least, our government will send you (endless) free antigen tests in the mail, so we tested ourselves daily, to (hopefully) prevent any hiccups at the port. They said if you tested positive, they would do 1 re-test to confirm.
In this case, if they do 1 test to retest a positive and the 2nd test is negative......how do you determine which is accurate? Go best 2 out of 3?

If you test positive at the port , what happens next ?

In this case, if they do 1 test to retest a positive and the 2nd test is negative......how do you determine which is accurate? Go best 2 out of 3?
Do we know it is DCL policy to retest?
What happens if someone is denied boarding?
Boring though it may be, there are good reasons to read the fine print on one's travel insurance covid coverage.

Does DCL help rebook your flight back home once you retest negative?
And you pay DCL ??

Do you stay onsite at the port until you test negative ?
If so where ?

Does DCL pay for your ground transfers once you retest negative or do you pay ?

Dear moderator :

can you please step in and help answer these questions ??

Have you heard back about canceling a VGT? I’m curious to know that as well.
Just heard back.

No option to cancel or reschedule if you booked a restricted guaranteed rate....unless you test positive at the port and are denied boarding. Then they'll refund you.

#1. I'm calling the travel insurance people to find out what is/is not covered for getting us back home.

#2. Husband is now considering ditching his flight down and driving our large SUV instead just in case we need to get back home.

Deeeefinitely do NOT recommend to anyone I know to book a restricted rate with DCL. Ever. Basically they're continually changing terms while keeping us tied down. Too one-sided. I trusted DCL to be fair with any booking if the terms of sailing evolved. I specifically did NOT book with another cruise line even if it was less expensive because I trusted in that "Disney Difference" to give options if terms changed. When I entered the agreement I was a happy vaxxed cruiser. I didn't need to roll the dice. I met their requirements and I was good to go. Now even with the vaccine I'm subject to known-flawed testing at the port. Still rolling the dice. For locals it's probably not a big deal. When your sad drive home is 12 hours+, it's definitely more of an issue.

#3. Thinking about booking a couple rooms at the parks as a backup. We'd be able to go over there if we got denied boarding.

DCL really has two choices: Vax and embark testing, or not sailing.

Most of the Caribbean want vax+test to port. Mexico is looser on that and they could probably shrug it off for the Wonder, but let's be honest here: Having different standards on each coast would be a comms nightmare for a company that is already a clown show for customer communications (and customer compliance).
Is the Bahamas requiring tests now for cruise ships? If so, I missed that news since the change to vaccinated only for the Bahamas. I was surprised Disney did it on their own for these Bahamas only cruises if the Bahamas didn't add a testing component.

Just heard back.

No option to cancel or reschedule if you booked a restricted guaranteed rate....unless you test positive at the port and are denied boarding. Then they'll refund you.

#1. I'm calling the travel insurance people to find out what is/is not covered for getting us back home.

#2. Husband is now considering ditching his flight down and driving our large SUV instead just in case we need to get back home.

Deeeefinitely do NOT recommend to anyone I know to book a restricted rate with DCL. Ever. Basically they're continually changing terms while keeping us tied down. Too one-sided. I trusted DCL to be fair with any booking if the terms of sailing evolved. I specifically did NOT book with another cruise line even if it was less expensive because I trusted in that "Disney Difference" to give options if terms changed. When I entered the agreement I was a happy vaxxed cruiser. I didn't need to roll the dice. I met their requirements and I was good to go. Now even with the vaccine I'm subject to known-flawed testing at the port. Still rolling the dice. For locals it's probably not a big deal. When your sad drive home is 12 hours+, it's definitely more of an issue.

#3. Thinking about booking a couple rooms at the parks as a backup. We'd be able to go over there if we got denied boarding.
Hmm, when you look at the rate details for VGT, this is an excerpt:

“Categories with Restrictions are eligible for COVID-19 Cruise Date Flexibility and Flexibly Refund Policy on select sailings.

Under the flexible refund policy, it states that if you have COVID symptoms within 14 days of embarkation you can call and cancel for a full refund. The policy does not state what sailings are included in “select sailings” but it does say you don’t have to give proof of symptoms to call and cancel. Maybe that could be an avenue out?

But to stay at a WDW hotel you have to complete a health acknowledgment. So that’s not an option.

That stinks about them not refunding restricted rate. I know that it is in the rate terms that they can change the health requirements but this is a pretty makor change for fully vaxxed guests and I would think they’d be accommodating.

But to stay at a WDW hotel you have to complete a health acknowledgment. So that’s not an option.

That stinks about them not refunding restricted rate. I know that it is in the rate terms that they can change the health requirements but this is a pretty makor change for fully vaxxed guests and I would think they’d be accommodating.
If you test positive for Covid I’m not sure why being vaxxed makes it ok to go to WDW. Positive is positive. I would agree I don’t think that’s an option.

Is the Bahamas requiring tests now for cruise ships? If so, I missed that news since the change to vaccinated only for the Bahamas. I was surprised Disney did it on their own for these Bahamas only cruises if the Bahamas didn't add a testing component.
As I read it, yes. They have been making exceptions on the private islands until now, but the new regulation says "yeah even cruise ships and private islands, yo." The testing requirement was from 8/6, but the new regulation extended it to private island visits as of next week.

Effective August 6, 2021, those travelling to The Bahamas from other countries who have been fully vaccinated will be required to obtain a negative COVID-19 test (either a Rapid Antigen Test or PCR), taken no more than five (5) days prior to the date of arrival in The Bahamas. The name and address of the lab where the test was performed must be clearly displayed on the test result.

Testing is also required for USVI and BVI so if DCL ever hope to get the Fantasy to those ports...

Herein lies the question: what do they plan to do for guests who can’t board? We are trying to be responsible and avoid the issue altogether. I want to know what they plan to do with fully vaxxed guests who can’t board.

So much for a relaxing getaway….. they’re gonna need a bar at the port gate.

If you test positive for Covid I’m not sure why being vaxxed makes it ok to go to WDW. Positive is positive. I would agree I don’t think that’s an option.
My interpretation of that comment was that the OP is fully vaxxed and booked with the assumption that the stress of testing would not apply. Because the policies changed and DCL now requires everyone to test, the OP thinks they should be eligible for for leniency with the VGT fare. (I happen to agree that the OP should be able to cancel due to a change in policies.) I don't see anyone suggesting that going to WDW is acceptable if you tested positive regardless of vaccination status.

There are quite a few questions, and for starters I would like to ask why I couldn't get answers from my TA... why did Disney NOT inform their TA before or at least as soon as they released their update dated Sept 2nd! I have been dealing with the same wonderful TA, thru DIS, for numerous cruises. I had to find out thru this site, not my TA. I waited on hold for a Disney rep for almost 3 hours yesterday to get some answers, finally! This is why I have a TA? (May I have a monitor respond...possibly John? That's not too much to ask, is it?)

This is what I know from my call with Disney:
1. YES. Everyone will need to get the pre-board testing, a swabbing
2. It could take up to 1 hour to finish (may take less time)
3. IF the first test comes back POSITIVE, they will re-test you. Funny...like they want to get a Negative?? Cuz then they let you on.
4. If they send you away...a total form will be given to you for use on an additional cruise, with black outs.

I'm so sorry...I only got info as above. I now wish I would've got additional info to answer all of your concerns.

I can tell you that the Disney agent was above Disney standards...she's a keeper! I was her last call of the night. I can only imagine where she went afterwards....🤪

Because the tests are not reliable, especially Insta-tests. The test may say positive but are you? Even DCL isn’t confident in the tests because they’re willing to retest. A whole slew of things can cause a positive test. It’s a known problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter