Before zipping around in a scooter

Status
Not open for further replies.
::yes::

:scratchin You just gave me a great idea. On my next trip, I'm going to use my son's Go-Pro to record an ECV user's view of WDW! That's a lot of butts!

Did that once. Not a pretty sight, deleted the video never to be seen again. But I hope you have fun making the video anyway. Publish it on YouTube, it will be interesting.

ANdy

it's that dramatic, huh?

Yes, it is. And most people just don't realize how dangerous it is. Part of why we use a stroller even though my son is 10 is because we have gotten separated from him by a crowd surge. I can tell you it means absolute and total terror. My kid can't ask for help. Can't squeeze back through a crowd. Can't go to a meeting spot. Not to mention that when he's upset he acts out. So, yeah, step or ride between me and my child and it is that dramatic.

Practice is a great idea. My wife will not rent one, even though she needs one because she is concerned about driving one. We get a wheelchair instead and I push her.

Yes, it is. And most people just don't realize how dangerous it is. Part of why we use a stroller even though my son is 10 is because we have gotten separated from him by a crowd surge. I can tell you it means absolute and total terror. My kid can't ask for help. Can't squeeze back through a crowd. Can't go to a meeting spot. Not to mention that when he's upset he acts out. So, yeah, step or ride between me and my child and it is that dramatic.

I just have to avoid MK in the evenings and when extremely crowded. On my scooter I was once surrounded by a mob and being at the level I was I was hard to breathe, I just had to get out of there, I found the first CM I could and asked for help exiting the park. I was never so happy to be out of a place as I was that evening.

Now if I want to see the evening parade I just go in the park at Main Street with enough time to find a spot and look for a place with and easy exit, if none is available I just leave, as I never want a repeat of my surrounded by a mob experience.

For all the folks who envy us on our scooters I say "live in one for a day or two" then tell me how lucky we are.

Andy

So why do you leave a gap large enough that I as an ECV user sees as a way through if you really don't want us to do that? You can't have it both ways! If there's just me and one or two others in my party, I'm hardly likely to be splitting your party up for more than a few seconds. All you have to do if someone seems to be coming through is stop moving long enough to let the scooter through and then it's all done with no drama. It's not as if we deliberately barrel our way through party groups!

So why do you leave a gap large enough that I as an ECV user sees as a way through if you really don't want us to do that? You can't have it both ways! If there's just me and one or two others in my party, I'm hardly likely to be splitting your party up for more than a few seconds. All you have to do if someone seems to be coming through is stop moving long enough to let the scooter through and then it's all done with no drama. It's not as if we deliberately barrel our way through party groups!

When I'm walking, I wouldn't force my way between people because there's a gap I can fit through. And I think it's extremely rude to try to do that with an ECV, which has a much larger footprint. Not to mention unsafe. What if the family realizes there's a gap and someone side steps to close it, just as you decide to plow through. You've already mentioned early in this thread that you intentionally speed in the parks, and now you think you should split the crowds too? Who wants it both ways?

And people are saying that other guests should see them coming on an ECV, stop, and wait for them to pass? To compensate for looking at butts? Look, if there's a bottleneck after a parade I'm all for helping an ECV user clear a little extra space to get through, because they are wider than just a person and can't squeeze through unless people stop. But there is no way I am standing around every time an ECV is approaching on a path. You don't have some special right of way. The example was given that other guests should wait 15 seconds for ECVs to pass. It will take me less than 15 seconds to step in front of guests who are walking. If you need even 10 seconds to see someone in front of you and stop your ECV, you shouldn't be operating it.

When I'm walking, I wouldn't force my way between people because there's a gap I can fit through. And I think it's extremely rude to try to do that with an ECV, which has a much larger footprint. Not to mention unsafe. What if the family realizes there's a gap and someone side steps to close it, just as you decide to plow through. You've already mentioned early in this thread that you intentionally speed in the parks, and now you think you should split the crowds too? Who wants it both ways?

And people are saying that other guests should see them coming on an ECV, stop, and wait for them to pass? To compensate for looking at butts? Look, if there's a bottleneck after a parade I'm all for helping an ECV user clear a little extra space to get through, because they are wider than just a person and can't squeeze through unless people stop. But there is no way I am standing around every time an ECV is approaching on a path. You don't have some special right of way. The example was given that other guests should wait 15 seconds for ECVs to pass. It will take me less than 15 seconds to step in front of guests who are walking. If you need even 10 seconds to see someone in front of you and stop your ECV, you shouldn't be operating it.

You are not only now accusing me of deliberately speeding when there are people about - which I absolutely do NOT and never said I did - but you are also now accusing me of seeing a potential gap and going for it. I think you'd better stop this line and think about how offensive your accusations are.

Us ECV users now apparently can't 'overtake' any people apparently standing around in case we split families up. So, you want us to just pootle along at doddle speed just because some people want to walk 6 abreast really slowly? And you call US selfish???

I never suggested you stop walking when an ECV passes. I merely said that rather than jump in front of a moving vehicle which cannot stop on a dime you wait the few seconds it takes for the ECV to move through and beyond you before you try to rejoin the rest of your family.

I just hope you don't drive a car the way you walk in the parks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter