Before zipping around in a scooter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wrote a rather lengthly essay a few years ago (with a recent update) about the subject of using a scooter at WDW. Seems it is still relevant today. If you want to read it it is located at http://www.anaheimtoorlando.com/scooter.html

I hope you enjoy and those who are new to scooters and old hands and those who want to just understand what we who must use a scooter have to do. The essay is meant to help with understanding and as such I have tried to keep it as neutral as possible while explaining the topic.

Thanks,

Andy

So stay away from the front of scooters, because they can't stop suddenly. But also stay away from the back of scooters because they can stop suddenly. Maybe they need a cow catcher on the front to catch the poor pedestrians who wander onto the tracks, err, I mean walking paths.

So stay away from the front of scooters, because they can't stop suddenly. But also stay away from the back of scooters because they can stop suddenly. Maybe they need a cow catcher on the front to catch the poor pedestrians who wander onto the tracks, err, I mean walking paths.

I hope folks get more from my essay than just what is contained in those two hints.

Andy

I really, really wish that the parks had been designed with more seating/sitting areas. There are people like me running around in scooters who are actually perfectly mobile, including getting on and off buses, but just not for those long stretches between benches where we could have a rejuvenating 5 mins 'rest break'. I guess you have to reach your 60's to notice how few and far between park benches are in the parks. Actually I don't think you have to be middle aged to wish large theme parks were more of a relaxed experience than a walk-a-thon and a stand-for-60-mins-for-5-mins-of-fun experience. Someone once offered that parks want to keep you on your feet because if you're sitting, you're not spending.

Due to an infection after surgery on my achilles tendon that put me through hyperbaric oxygen therapy and two skin grafts I can no longer walk long distances without significant pain. We all know that Disney =walking a lot. I certainly agree that the ECV drivers need to practice enough to be able to drive them safely in the crowds and children should not be allowed to ride along, but pedestrians should also be aware of the ECV, I can't tell you the number of times I've had to stop suddenly because people have cut in front of me. Fortunately I haven't hit anyone and I plan to try and keep it that way, but several times it would have been the fault of the pedestrian if I had.

I really, really wish that the parks had been designed with more seating/sitting areas. There are people like me running around in scooters who are actually perfectly mobile, including getting on and off buses, but just not for those long stretches between benches where we could have a rejuvenating 5 mins 'rest break'. I guess you have to reach your 60's to notice how few and far between park benches are in the parks. Actually I don't think you have to be middle aged to wish large theme parks were more of a relaxed experience than a walk-a-thon and a stand-for-60-mins-for-5-mins-of-fun experience. Someone once offered that parks want to keep you on your feet because if you're sitting, you're not spending.

This, this, this! Many of us who are mobility challenged do not need or want to be in an ECV. What bothers me to no end is the assumption/treatment by Disney that all mobility issues are the same and should only have one option. With multiple health issues it is perfectly meets my needs to be able to be able to walk distances but to relieve the pain and pressure that becomes much, much worse when forced to stand for a long time.

I know that I should not be posting this because I had a previous thread shut down after stating this view point. I don't want to rehash the issue. The majority of the posters don't agree and I apologize for bringing this back up.

I do think that if Disney continues to force all mobility problems into a one size fits all solution that there are gong to be more and more ECVs trying to make their way through already crowded parks. With that will come more accidents.

Comparing the number of scooters in the park when GAC was in place with DAS in place, do you think there are more, less or the same number of scooters in the parks? Just curious if more people need to rent scooters now that DAS is in place and is not available for people with mobility issues.

Due to an infection after surgery on my achilles tendon that put me through hyperbaric oxygen therapy and two skin grafts I can no longer walk long distances without significant pain. We all know that Disney =walking a lot. I certainly agree that the ECV drivers need to practice enough to be able to drive them safely in the crowds and children should not be allowed to ride along, but pedestrians should also be aware of the ECV, I can't tell you the number of times I've had to stop suddenly because people have cut in front of me. Fortunately I haven't hit anyone and I plan to try and keep it that way, but several times it would have been the fault of the pedestrian if I had.

DD and I made our way quite happily round all the parks in February, but the sheer thoughtlessness of people just got us. People who stand in the dropped kerb sections so we couldn't cross the road properly, or who the minute they saw a scooter was coming just HAD to cross in front of them because once they went up between them and another member of their party they'd be split up forever! They didn't not see me. They saw me and almost jumped over the front axle to get to the rest of their party. What goes on in these people's brains when this happens?

Also, how many people in a queue will walk in front of me, thereby all pushing in, before someone stops to let 'the lady in the ECV' through into the queue because she was there first, after all?

The only complaint I got from anyone, anywhere, was from DD who was fed up with having to trot to keep up with me sometimes! :rolleyes1:lmao:

who the minute they saw a scooter was coming just HAD to cross in front of them because once they went up between them and another member of their party they'd be split up forever! They didn't not see me. They saw me and almost jumped over the front axle to get to the rest of their party. What goes on in these people's brains when this happens?
I don't think this is limited to ECVs, though. When in crowds, as a parent, I go into a mode where one of my main goals is keeping the group together. Because, yeah, if one group/family gets in the middle of our family, it could be harder to get back together. One person gets in the middle of our group, and then that person slows waaay down, let's say. And while we're waiting for an opportunity to go around them, the rest of our family is happily traipsing down the sidewalk, unaware that we've been separated. Then let's say Dad, up ahead, thinks the 4 year old is with mom and mom thinks the 4 year old is up with dad, but as it turns out the 4 year old WAS with dad, noticed mom was missing, and turned around to find her... So... THAT's what "goes on in these people's brains when this happens." I would jump in front of ANY oncoming traffic if I judged that it was going to split up our family. And as a pedestrian or when I was with my mom in her wheelchair, we always tried to NOT split up families, instead choosing openings between families.

The only complaint I got from anyone, anywhere, was from DD who was fed up with having to trot to keep up with me sometimes! :rolleyes1:lmao:

I know you're kidding, but that is actually a huge part of the problem. If an ECV is moving above a walking pace, it is not going to stop in time to avoid bumping people.

I know that in an hour at DLR I see twice as many ECVs as I see in a week elsewhere. I think it's normal for pedestrians to expect that when they're walking that they're mostly going to encounter other pedestrians, and not constantly be on the lookout for someone going 6-8 MPH. If there was a group of guests running through the park you'd hear complaints about them colliding with other guests too. Because someone moving at a pace appropriate for the crowds will have enough time to stop.

I don't think this is limited to ECVs, though. When in crowds, as a parent, I go into a mode where one of my main goals is keeping the group together. Because, yeah, if one group/family gets in the middle of our family, it could be harder to get back together. One person gets in the middle of our group, and then that person slows waaay down, let's say. And while we're waiting for an opportunity to go around them, the rest of our family is happily traipsing down the sidewalk, unaware that we've been separated. Then let's say Dad, up ahead, thinks the 4 year old is with mom and mom thinks the 4 year old is up with dad, but as it turns out the 4 year old WAS with dad, noticed mom was missing, and turned around to find her... So... THAT's what "goes on in these people's brains when this happens." I would jump in front of ANY oncoming traffic if I judged that it was going to split up our family. And as a pedestrian or when I was with my mom in her wheelchair, we always tried to NOT split up families, instead choosing openings between families.

it's that dramatic, huh?

This will be my third year having to use a scooter around Disney World. With a cyst on my spine and toes amputated on my right foot, it is quite difficult to walk long distances. I believe I have mastered the art of driving around the parks....and have little difficulty....however...when it comes to driving up on a bus...I literally get into "panic mode"" No matter how often I drive on those buses...I can't help it...I start sweating...and breathing fast...just thinking about having to make that little turn...on to the metal ramp...then turning right once I get on the bus...then backing up...I have almost cancelled a trip to Disney because I was so apprehensive. If I could pay someone to drive up that ramp and park it on the bus for me...I would. My sister goes with me to Disney...and no...she is just as bad as I am about it...That is the only part of driving a scooter around Disney......I panic....I almost cry....Otherwise...I am very thoughtful of those around me...being careful not to bump into anybody or cut across..:sad1:

This will be my third year having to use a scooter around Disney World. With a cyst on my spine and toes amputated on my right foot, it is quite difficult to walk long distances. I believe I have mastered the art of driving around the parks....and have little difficulty....however...when it comes to driving up on a bus...I literally get into "panic mode"" No matter how often I drive on those buses...I can't help it...I start sweating...and breathing fast...just thinking about having to make that little turn...on to the metal ramp...then turning right once I get on the bus...then backing up...I have almost cancelled a trip to Disney because I was so apprehensive. If I could pay someone to drive up that ramp and park it on the bus for me...I would. My sister goes with me to Disney...and no...she is just as bad as I am about it...That is the only part of driving a scooter around Disney......I panic....I almost cry....Otherwise...I am very thoughtful of those around me...being careful not to bump into anybody or cut across..:sad1:

Don't be scared of the buses talk to the driver they can offer tips and some might even do it for you. But if they don't it because it still Disney policy they don't touch he ecv but most will help do it but all will give verbally tips. So please don't panic take your time don't worry you have every right to load safely so take it slowly if you have to. Drive it up then ask the drive to guide you they can tell you when to turn and remember their not much you can do to hurt the bus. Buses should never keep you from going to Disney I understand what your saying but want you to know you can do it and you will be fine. And the drivers are their to help you if needed they don't want you to feel uncomfortable so they will do what they can to make it as easy as they can.

I know you're kidding, but that is actually a huge part of the problem. If an ECV is moving above a walking pace, it is not going to stop in time to avoid bumping people.

I know that in an hour at DLR I see twice as many ECVs as I see in a week elsewhere. I think it's normal for pedestrians to expect that when they're walking that they're mostly going to encounter other pedestrians, and not constantly be on the lookout for someone going 6-8 MPH. If there was a group of guests running through the park you'd hear complaints about them colliding with other guests too. Because someone moving at a pace appropriate for the crowds will have enough time to stop.

Partly joking, but we did go at a quiet time, and spent a lot of nights at MK. So, when I could 'open her up' and go a bit faster, I did so. Obviously I kept it slow when there were people around. I'm not that gung ho!

Don't be scared of the buses talk to the driver they can offer tips and some might even do it for you. But if they don't it because it still Disney policy they don't touch he ecv but most will help do it but all will give verbally tips. So please don't panic take your time don't worry you have every right to load safely so take it slowly if you have to. Drive it up then ask the drive to guide you they can tell you when to turn and remember their not much you can do to hurt the bus. Buses should never keep you from going to Disney I understand what your saying but want you to know you can do it and you will be fine. And the drivers are their to help you if needed they don't want you to feel uncomfortable so they will do what they can to make it as easy as they can.

All my drivers insisted on parking the beastie for me. I would have liked to have had the chance to learn how to park it up myself, but it was a lot quicker for me to drive it on into the rough area, and then for the driver to click it out of gear and manoeuvre it manually.

Comparing the number of scooters in the park when GAC was in place with DAS in place, do you think there are more, less or the same number of scooters in the parks? Just curious if more people need to rent scooters now that DAS is in place and is not available for people with mobility issues.

Last time I went I did not notice a higher or lower amount of scooters in the parks. A majority of people who need to use a scooter do not use the basic it's only for mobility issues. My mother has been using a scooter for the past five trips and has never used the gac/das. We use fps like everyone else does.

All my drivers insisted on parking the beastie for me. I would have liked to have had the chance to learn how to park it up myself, but it was a lot quicker for me to drive it on into the rough area, and then for the driver to click it out of gear and manoeuvre it manually.

They should not be insisting in doing it just offering as their are guest who like to do park it then selves. Then you get what happens is your get a driver who won't and you not know how to and be stuck learning quick.

DD and I made our way quite happily round all the parks in February, but the sheer thoughtlessness of people just got us. People who stand in the dropped kerb sections so we couldn't cross the road properly, or who the minute they saw a scooter was coming just HAD to cross in front of them because once they went up between them and another member of their party they'd be split up forever! They didn't not see me. They saw me and almost jumped over the front axle to get to the rest of their party. What goes on in these people's brains when this happens?

Also, how many people in a queue will walk in front of me, thereby all pushing in, before someone stops to let 'the lady in the ECV' through into the queue because she was there first, after all?

I know what you mean about people jumping in front of you, if they would wait just 10 seconds until I pass it would be safer for all. I just figure they did not see me because I don't want to believe that people would behave as some do.

I often feel very out if place... Either people don't see me (must be my invisibility cloak) or they get annoyed because I seem to be in their way and take up 15 seconds of their time. I just wish some would realize that I'm stuck here all the time, every time I want to leave my house and maybe I may inconvenience someone 15 or 20 seconds once in their day, but I am stuck looking at butts (my view of the world) all the time.

Oh well, I will put up with it, because the alternative is to just stay home and I am not going to spent the rest of my life looking at the same four walls.

Andy

I just wish some would realize that I'm stuck here all the time, every time I want to leave my house and maybe I may inconvenience someone 15 or 20 seconds once in their day, but I am stuck looking at butts (my view of the world) all the time.
Andy

::yes::

:scratchin You just gave me a great idea. On my next trip, I'm going to use my son's Go-Pro to record an ECV user's view of WDW! That's a lot of butts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter