Before zipping around in a scooter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goddesstree

Mouseketeer
Before zipping around in a scooter, it would be really nice if people practiced backing up, making turns, and stopping.

On my trip last week, a gentleman got his scooter hung up on the ride vehicle at Soarin'. He had no idea how to back it up, turn it, whatever it took to get it unhooked from the corner. Two other guests pretty much moved the scooter back by force. The ride vehicle was OK, even though it had been pushed a few inches off its resting position. No idea how the scooter made out.

On the Great Movie Ride, while loading into the accessible vehicle, a woman rammed her scooter into her child's wheelchair, while he was in it. The force of the collision pushed him up to the seatback in front of him, squishing his legs. It was a pretty loud/abrupt collision. This was after it took two CMs and a guest helping her get it on the vehicle at the right angle. I don't think she'd ever done a 3 point turn before?

Also saw 3 people miss the ramp getting onto the busses down there, 2 of them realized it in time and were able to stop and back up. The 3rd didn't fare as well and almost tipped over.

People just need a little practice before they get into the mix of things. Too bad WDW doesn't have a little course that guests could practice on beforehand? Maybe a practice bus ramp and a small doorway with a sharp turn?

I was very impressed with the CMs down there. They all seemed very adept at hand over hand manipulation of the scooters. The bus drivers loaded scooters very quickly too. They are masters of scooter parallel parking :)

CMs were making sure guests did not have children riding on the scooters, stopping quite a few guests while we were there. No conflicts when stopped, although I admit that we didn't always see the entire situation. For the heat of August, there were lots of scooters but everyone seemed to be respectful of each other.

My mother uses a scooter every time we go and she practices in the parking lot. Know matter what, it is very difficult loading it on the buses. Some drivers are helpful and some refuse to help at all. I found myself manually loading the scooter on the bus for her so I wouldn't have to look at all those frustrated faces waiting to get on. The biggest problem iv seen is how fast there going on these scooters never mind the fact there riding around with there grandchildren on there laps. For most, many people follow the rules when using there scooters, so when the general public is walking around they need to understand that these scooters can not stop on a dime so people need to be award to not jump in front of one to get by quickly. This happened to my mother on our last trip in November at ak. This father with his daughter were trying to get out of the park and I guess they thought my mother was driving too slow so he jumped around us and got directly in front of her so she stopped immediately but all scooters tend to roll alittle bit and hit the back of his leg. He started screaming at her and saying that she needed to watch where she was going. I was about to say something but she ended up telling him off saying you got what you deserved,that's what happens when you jump in front of a moving vehicle.

Just a little while ago in Animal Kingdom, I had a lady on a scooter (with a little girl in her lap using the controls) ram directly into the back of my own scooter on one of the animal trails. The girl nearly fell, and the lady got mad at me, even though I had been sitting still.

I've seen a lot of kids on laps driving scooters this week and it bugs me a lot worse than adults who just don't know what they're doing. :(

About 18 months, before FP+, Figment often had no wait whatsoever. We were being seated, and noticed an older guy approching the loading area on an ECV. A CM directed him where to park it, and he moved very slowly toward the area. Then, just as he was about a foot away, he "jammed the gas" instead of the brake, and went crashing into the wall. Our loading CM just shook his head, rolled his eyes, and told us "happens practically every day here." The guy on the ECV was fine, just startled and embarassed.

I definitely think practicing would be beneficial. It'd be nice if the WDW CMs could give a basic rundown tutorial or something, but obviously people get EVCs from all over the place.

Just a little while ago in Animal Kingdom, I had a lady on a scooter (with a little girl in her lap using the controls) ram directly into the back of my own scooter on one of the animal trails. The girl nearly fell, and the lady got mad at me, even though I had been sitting still. I've seen a lot of kids on laps driving scooters this week and it bugs me a lot worse than adults who just don't know what they're doing. :(

I honestly thought of that previous thread we had about a kid driving a blind persons EVC with this story.

Before zipping around in a scooter, it would be really nice if people practiced backing up, making turns, and stopping.

On my trip last week, a gentleman got his scooter hung up on the ride vehicle at Soarin'. He had no idea how to back it up, turn it, whatever it took to get it unhooked from the corner. Two other guests pretty much moved the scooter back by force. The ride vehicle was OK, even though it had been pushed a few inches off its resting position. No idea how the scooter made out.

On the Great Movie Ride, while loading into the accessible vehicle, a woman rammed her scooter into her child's wheelchair, while he was in it. The force of the collision pushed him up to the seatback in front of him, squishing his legs. It was a pretty loud/abrupt collision. This was after it took two CMs and a guest helping her get it on the vehicle at the right angle. I don't think she'd ever done a 3 point turn before?

Also saw 3 people miss the ramp getting onto the busses down there, 2 of them realized it in time and were able to stop and back up. The 3rd didn't fare as well and almost tipped over.

People just need a little practice before they get into the mix of things. Too bad WDW doesn't have a little course that guests could practice on beforehand? Maybe a practice bus ramp and a small doorway with a sharp turn?

I was very impressed with the CMs down there. They all seemed very adept at hand over hand manipulation of the scooters. The bus drivers loaded scooters very quickly too. They are masters of scooter parallel parking :)

CMs were making sure guests did not have children riding on the scooters, stopping quite a few guests while we were there. No conflicts when stopped, although I admit that we didn't always see the entire situation. For the heat of August, there were lots of scooters but everyone seemed to be respectful of each other.

Threads like this are so very discouraging. Mobility issues are so very, very hard to deal with and WDW has made the decision to make scooters/wheelchairs the only way to cope with the pain and instability. I have never used an ECV and am too frightened to try. I have notoriously bad eye hand coordination and I just can't trust myself in a crowd. And then to have to deal with the judgement of others is just too much!

When you are tempted to get frustrated at ECV users please be aware that many of them wish there was another option to be able to enjoy time with their families at the parks.

I definitely think practicing would be beneficial. It'd be nice if the WDW CMs could give a basic rundown tutorial or something, but obviously people get EVCs from all over the place.

I honestly thought of that previous thread we had about a kid driving a blind persons EVC with this story.

I know! I was thinking the same thing. I put that instance in the "What Could Possibly Go Wrong" file.

Threads like this are so very discouraging. Mobility issues are so very, very hard to deal with and WDW has made the decision to make scooters/wheelchairs the only way to cope with the pain and instability. I have never used an ECV and am too frightened to try. I have notoriously bad eye hand coordination and I just can't trust myself in a crowd. And then to have to deal with the judgement of others is just too much!

When you are tempted to get frustrated at ECV users please be aware that many of them wish there was another option to be able to enjoy time with their families at the parks.

as someone who also is physically unable to use an ECV, I respectfully point out that if you think you can benefit from one that it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to learn how to use one BEFORE going somewhere like a major theme park to try doing so for the first time. every single grocery store has them. you can practice at home weeks ahead of time.

doubly so for an electric wheelchair/power chair.

of course you will be judged if you couldn't be bothered to be responsible and proactive enough to make sure you could operate the thing. it's not because you are disabled, it is because you are dumb enough to think you can use a heavy piece of machinery with zero training or practice.

This actually concerns me for my upcoming trip. I am renting an ECV for the first time due to a bad back limiting the distances I can do. I plan to "practice" around the resort first before getting on the bus.

I've seen a lot of kids on laps driving scooters this week and it bugs me a lot worse than adults who just don't know what they're doing. :(

^^This!! I saw three different people allowing the toddlers/small children on their lap to drive the scooter. One was actually laughing as the little girl slalomed back & forth in front on the stroller pick-up entrance in MK. I'm sure there were more but the three we noticed almost ran us over!!

Are your negative comments directed at me? Nowhere in my post did I say people shouldn't use scooters, or that people without the ability to walk the parks shouldn't go, did I? Or am I misreading your intentions? If so, I am very sorry, but it just sounds to me like you have read a lot into my OP.

I would like to hear what other options you would suggest besides wheelchairs and scooters for mobility issues. If you are talking about Segways, well, then I agree with Disney that they do not belong in the parks, especially after seeing people have trouble with scooters. I'm not sure what else Disney could do - they can't make the parks smaller.

The purpose of my post was to hopefully let people know that there are some trickier parts to navigate at WDW, and that they should practice a few maneuvers like 3 point turns, backing up, and knowing where the sides of the ECV are when making a tight turn. I was never frustrated by anyone using an ECV, just concerned when others got hurt, got stuck, etc. If my mom ever gets healthy enough to return to WDW, she will need a scooter or wheelchair. I'm hoping she does make the trip, but I want to see her handle a scooter before I take her to a park. I like the idea of practicing in a parking lot, as long as she doesn't hit any cars :drive::eek:

This actually concerns me for my upcoming trip. I am renting an ECV for the first time due to a bad back limiting the distances I can do. I plan to "practice" around the resort first before getting on the bus.

If you have a chance to go by the bus stops in your ECV, practice the entrance turn from the accessible queue area to the curb. Most busses stop with the back door not lined up directly across the queue. (at least at Pop Century) This makes for a very awkward angle of "turn right then left onto ramp" that can be challenging. Maybe hang out in the area to see the procedure before you attempt it? At least, that's what I would do.

Just a little while ago in Animal Kingdom, I had a lady on a scooter (with a little girl in her lap using the controls) ram directly into the back of my own scooter on one of the animal trails. The girl nearly fell, and the lady got mad at me, even though I had been sitting still.

I agree!! I was walking and was rammed in the calf/back of my ankles by a kid "driving" a scooter :confused3 it is obnoxious and can injure the fellow park goers!

Instead of having the ecv dropped off, meet the company representative and have them show you how it works. Practice a few minutes with him or her there and ask questions. Every company will meet you you just have to ask

I had two ECVs during our 7-day stay. The first was bad and ran on a good foot after you let go of the tiller. The second was almost lethal! If I went over bumpy ground (and there's a lot of textured concrete at the parks) the knob would turn itself round and either go super-slow or super-fast before I'd realised it had moved. It also ran on further than the first one did, especially if I wasn't set to minimum speed. In reverse it was almost impossible to control and I did lose control of it in a queue at one of the parks (can't remember which) and ram someone. I was extremely apologetic and he said it was alright, but I knew he was pigged off. I was, too, but there wasn't anything I could do about it: I'd been hired a duff machine and I had to put up with it for 3 days.

But I would reiterate that there are no brakes on an ECV. There is a rocking tiller. You take your fingers off the tiller to stop and it will roll to a halt. I mentioned this to someone as being dangerous, but she said the reason why they do that is so you don't lurch to a sudden halt - which could be dangerous for the rider.

of course you will be judged if you couldn't be bothered to be responsible and proactive enough to make sure you could operate the thing. it's not because you are disabled, it is because you are dumb enough to think you can use a heavy piece of machinery with zero training or practice.

This is something that I think about when people say that they worry that someone will comment on their weight when using a scooter. ECVs weigh a lot. You have to add your weight, plus the weight of what you're carrying to that. You are not just going to bump someone lightly with these things. I was standing completely still on Main St while the CMs wound up the ropes after the parade. Everyone was waiting patiently for them to finish and a path to clear. A woman behind me saw about 18 inches of empty space and decided to ram her ECV into it. In the process, she rolled over (and stopped on the very edge of) my foot. This was a huge ECV fully loaded with crap plus a woman in the 300-350 lb range who had the nerve to tell me I was in her way when hundreds of people could tell there was nowhere to go. I not so politely told her that her immense weight was pinning me down. She got all teary eyed and turned to her husband for help. Seriously lady? I'm fat too. I know I'm fat and I recognize that myself, plus all objects I'm carrying, plus the weight of anything I'm sitting on represents a lot of weight. When I put all that weight on someone else, I apologize. I basically had to wedge my own foot out from under her wheel while she acted like some kind of victim and her husband just shrugged.

I was also bumped by an ECV earlier this week that suddenly veered into me. A woman was driving it with one hand while holding a toddler and the toddler grabbed the other handle. I gave them an even wider berth and saw it happen a second time less than 2 minutes later. Also irresponsible. I'm sorry if you have no other way to push your kid in a stroller, but it is your logistical issue to work out, and this wasn't a solution. It is just not possible to hold a squirming child in your lap, keeping them from reaching out and grabbing the controls (the kid was pounding on the center column like it was a bongo drum) and be spatially aware of the people and objects in a crowd.

Don't be discouraged! And yes we understand! My wife used one for the first time last fall due to surgery on both feet. I am sure, after re-reading the OP's original post he didn't mean to be negative but only to offer advice so people can be prepared.

ECV's are the main solution because they are very simply the best solution.

You can operate one. The only issue will be your confidence in control and choosing the appropriate speed. The less confident you are at controlling the vehicle, just choose a slower speed. Most of the problems discussed are from people unfamiliar with the product setting the speed too high.

My wife practiced a little and then did pretty good. She was nicer than me in that she would always give people room when they stepped in front of her and sometimes it felt like we were going backwards. :) People would actually run into us sometimes! She got the hang of it, they are relatively simple to operate with just a little practice.

Another thing you can do is have your spouse/partner run interference for you. While my wife was still new at it, I would position myself in front or to the left or right front in order to fill the danger zone myself. That helped immensely when in very crowded conditions. When we hit wide open spaces without crowds it was so wonderful because my wife could move as fast as me and we would get places! :)

Another thing is that all Disney employees were WONDERFUL! They were trained very well. They knew how to work with, operate, and move ECV's, and they knew exactly how to help us get around. They were quick polite and positive and never gave us a hint of any bad attitudes toward ECV users! We did not however use buses, we used our own vehicle to carry the ECV. Even though we did not have a handicap placard, Disney let us park close at every park to unload the ECV.

You can do it! Disney World is for everyone! We had a wonderful time!

Another thing about ECV's; they do not need brakes. The electric motor provides a very effective brake. Like brakes on cars, this braking action is not designed to stop the vehicle instantly, that would be unsafe. Yes, it rolls to a stop, so does your car when you apply the brakes, even if you slam them on. They are vehicles with substantial weight with a human being on them. They cannot stop on a dime. If anything, ECV's stop too quickly sometimes and my wife had to learn to ease off the trigger so it wouldn't jolt to a stop. If you get an ECV that does not stop properly, immediately demand a new one and don't settle for one that does not operate properly. All the reputable firms will provide proper products and will replace them quickly.

I have a standard power wheelchair that I use at home that has the joystick controller feature. I've driven the ECVs where it has the control in the front before, and can empathize with people who find it tricky to use when trying to maneuver in tight places.

I got to use one that we rented from Apple Scooters when we went over the MLK weekend in January, and let me tell you it was pretty tricky for me at first. I had brought my own manual wheelchair with me. But, the scooter was for the times when I was with my best friend, and her mom. My best friend is a quadriplegic, and her mom had to help her drive her power wheelchair. She couldn't help her drive her power chair, and push me in my manual wheelchair at the same time. She's been there, and done that before. Especially in the parks.

My disability is very visible, and I can't walk for long distances. Or, for more than a mile because my back won't tolerate it. I have severe scoliosis, and osteoarthritis.

I was able to practice driving it around Old Key West where we stayed. But, the tricky thing was getting the scooter on, and off the bus. I'm used to driving my power wheelchair on, and off buses. The majority of the drivers, and my best friend's mom together were able to help me maneuver it safely onto the bus without running over anyone's feet. I was very thankful for their help as I didn't want anyone to get upset with me.

About 18 months, before FP+, Figment often had no wait whatsoever. We were being seated, and noticed an older guy approching the loading area on an ECV. A CM directed him where to park it, and he moved very slowly toward the area. Then, just as he was about a foot away, he "jammed the gas" instead of the brake, and went crashing into the wall. Our loading CM just shook his head, rolled his eyes, and told us "happens practically every day here." The guy on the ECV was fine, just startled and embarassed.

ECVs don't have brakes. The speed/stop is controlled by pushing the accelerator bar or twisting the handle forward or back with either hand. Push or twist the accelerator all the way forward you go forward at top speed. Push or twist it back all the way, you go backwards at top speed (although on some models you have to flip a reverse switch before the ECV will reverse). Release it and you stop. No brake. Some people evidently have difficulty judging how far forward or back to move the accelerator to reach the speed appropriate to their activity. I keep having to remind my aide, who is otherwise of sound mind and body, that the scooter accelerator is like the one on a car...Just because you have achieved ignition doesn't mean you have to "floor it" to move two feet.:scared1:

I wrote a rather lengthly essay a few years ago (with a recent update) about the subject of using a scooter at WDW. Seems it is still relevant today. If you want to read it it is located at http://www.anaheimtoorlando.com/scooter.html

I hope you enjoy and those who are new to scooters and old hands and those who want to just understand what we who must use a scooter have to do. The essay is meant to help with understanding and as such I have tried to keep it as neutral as possible while explaining the topic.

Thanks,

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter