Before I get hate mail....

The stroller is a choice of transportation, most in wheelchairs and ECVs would rather walk if they could. So no a stroller should not go into a bathroom unless it is a family bathroom.

I'm really not trying to be argumentative here, because in general I agree with a lot of this thread...

but how is a stroller a choice of transportation for an infant? The infant can't walk either.

If I'm going to the bathroom while my family is on a ride that DD can't ride (she's 8 months old), what am I supposed to do with her? I can't use the bathroom while wearing her in a carrier, she can't stand/walk on her own...there isn't much choice but to bring her in her stroller.

Now, that said, I will personally be avoiding that scenario if at all possible...I'd rather go in peace and leave DD with my family as I'm able...but should I absolutely need to use the restroom and I have her by myself, the stroller is a necessity.

If I'm going to the bathroom while my family is on a ride that DD can't ride (she's 8 months old), what am I supposed to do with her? I can't use the bathroom while wearing her in a carrier, she can't stand/walk on her own...there isn't much choice but to bring her in her stroller.
I traveled quite a bit before my DD could walk: to WDW twice, London & NYC and then to Chicago and Japan by the time she was 15 months old. I couldn't always bring my stroller with me and I vividly remember changing her diaper on the floor of a Starbucks in London. We both survived. I also recall using the bathroom while holding her in a sling and in my lap. Was it ideal? Nope. But it wasn't impossible.

In any case, at WDW you can simply roll the stroller into the handicapped stall :thumbsup2. Just make sure that there isn't someone waiting for it.

I traveled quite a bit before my DD could walk: to WDW twice, London & NYC and then to Chicago and Japan by the time she was 15 months old. I couldn't always bring my stroller with me and I vividly remember changing her diaper on the floor of a Starbucks in London. We both survived. I also recall using the bathroom while holding her in a sling and in my lap. Was it ideal? Nope. But it wasn't impossible.

I didn't say it was impossible, but if there's a perfectly good stall where I can keep her with me and I can be done with my business faster, then I'm going to do that. No adult would want to lay down on a public restroom floor, even with a changing pad type thing under them...I'm not going to do that for my child unless there are literally no other options.

In any case, at WDW you can simply roll the stroller into the handicapped stall :thumbsup2. Just make sure that there isn't someone waiting for it.

I wouldn't take up the handicapped stall if someone were waiting for it. But if no one is there, it's fair game...and if someone is there, I'll wait til they're done if I have to :confused3

I completely get being frustrated by scenarios like the PP posted where there was a 30 min conversation about lipstick happening in an accessible bathroom. That's ridiculous. But taking 2-3 minutes for an adult to go to the bathroom and then get out (as long as there wasn't anyone waiting when they got there)? That shouldn't be a big deal.

I completely get being frustrated by scenarios like the PP posted where there was a 30 min conversation about lipstick happening in an accessible bathroom. That's ridiculous. But taking 2-3 minutes for an adult to go to the bathroom and then get out (as long as there wasn't anyone waiting when they got there)? That shouldn't be a big deal.
I think that just about everyone on this thread is in agreement on that point. I think that even Justin Jett would be OK with Hulk Hogan coming out of a handicapped stall (that was closed when Justin arrived) if he was pushing a stroller :wizard:.

I think that just about everyone on this thread is in agreement on that point. I think that even Justin Jett would be OK with Hulk Hogan coming out of a handicapped stall (that was closed when Justin arrived) if he was pushing a stroller :wizard:.

:lmao:::yes::

As long as the stroller had a kid in it. :lmao:

February 8, 2014.......Stall at the Polynesian has a sink in it. Restroom empty. Dude and toddler were in the wheelchair stall. Kid finished and they are in there for a hand washing lesson. After 5 minutes, I knock on the door. Dude tells me to wait 10 minutes, they are learning to wash hands after going potty. I was not very polite as I left to find another restroom. People who have a need for the wheelchair stall should use it, but a 15 minute hygiene lesson with people waiting behind you????

That's unbelievable. You handled it much better than I would have Skip. I'd probably have said something quite loudly about how badly I needed to use the facilities and that there are plenty of sinks outside the stall.

Personally, I have no problem with a parent with a baby using the wheelchair stall or family restroom, as needed. I also have no problem waiting for a child to use the wheelchair stall if all the regular stalls are occupied. I also have no problem waiting my turn in a crowded restroom.

My main frustration with restrooms is an able-bodied adult with no children uses the wheelchair stall when all the regular stalls are empty.

If a regular stall is unoccupied/available, and a person is capable of using the unoccupied regular stall.....Please leave the wheelchair stall available for people who really need it.

Don't judge a book by it's cover. I may look able bodied, but I have a condition that necessitates me using the handicapped bathroom. Plus I often bring my son's stroller in with me ( without him in it) so that I'll have a clean place to put supplies that I need to use the restroom. To you I may look like I don't need that stall, but I assure you I do.

I think everyone is being quick to judge who should and shouldn't use a bathroom stall. It's none of your business why I need it. Just remember that many people have invisible disabilities. We may look "able-bodied" to you, but that doesn't mean we don't have a handicap. I don't see anything on those bathroom stalls that say that there for wheelchair bound or mobility challenged persons only. It's a handicapped stall, my handicap just isn't as visible as other people's.

If there's a changing table in there, then it's for people who need to use that too. I'll wait my turn.

But you are just assuming they are "able bodied." You have no clue if they have a hidden illness or disability and frankly it's none of your business if they do. You don't get to decide who is "disabled enough" to use the stall.

Exactly!!!

Don't judge a book by it's cover. I may look able bodied, but I have a condition that necessitates me using the handicapped bathroom. Plus I often bring my son's stroller in with me ( without him in it) so that I'll have a clean place to put supplies that I need to use the restroom. To you I may look like I don't need that stall, but I assure you I do.

As Skip noted in his original post on this incident, he does not judge a book by its cover. Your comment is, however, a good reminder that not all handicaps are visible.

No one has a monopoly on any stall, but giving a child a hygiene lesson while some one is waiting is rude...especially when another sink is available.

And suggesting that someone that needs an accessible restroom stall wait 10 minutes while he teaches his "snowflake" to wash his hands is especially grievous.

I would have been less polite.

Much less polite.

I also have invisible disabilities too and would never judge someone on that front. Anyone who needs the wheelchair stall should use it.

My most recent post was about someone keeping others waiting for 15 minutes when other sinks available.

I have no idea if the kid was disabled or not. Not judging that at all.

Anyone who needs the wheelchair stall is welcome to use it, but common courtesy is an important lesson for the kid too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter