Before camping at the Fort please read...

MommaluvsDis

DIS Veteran
if its important to be truly wireless it might benefit you to purchase a wireless router to take with you. Otherwise, you will need to connect to the modem that you pick up from the Meadows trading post. You will not be wireless.

I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere. There were three of us traveling together, two motor homes and one fifth wheel. My husband and I picked up an inexpensive modem at our local Walmart before beginning our trip.

Once at the fort we went to Meadows and picked up the equipment we needed. After we hooked up to the equipment as well as our wireless router all three of our campers simply typed in the modem password and were connected from one unit.

I posted this because I saw a man come into Meadows to pick his gear up only to find out then that his laptop would have to be connected to the router. His main complaint was that he couldn't sit outside and check his Facebook.

I sat outside and did all my posts from the fort. They give you a splitter for the RCA cable so you can connect your camper to the TV and your modem to the other. I just simply ran the second cable to the front of my camper and hooked up. I put the modem and laptop in the camper when done, only took a few minutes to set up.

Now if he didn't have a laptop and was only using his phone, ipad, etc., then yeah he probably was out of luck...

Thanks for posting this, those of us who are regulars knew about the cable modem but others don't. It sounds like it worked out good for you guys being able to basically share a single modem using your wireless router. I had actually intended to take mine from the house but ran off and forgot it.

Last trip to the Fort I tethered my smartphone to the laptop and rode the cellular data connection and did without the cable modem from Disney. The AT&T signal strength was fine and pictures, email, and the DIS flowed as expected. If you run a lot of streaming video, it might eat into your data plan.

Using your phone as a mobile hotspot works too so several devices can connect to your phone and ride the cellular data signal.

Not even gonna bother with a Disney cable modem next trip. :surfweb:

Thanks for the update, Momma. Wifi among the campsites always seems to be in the Fort's future but I will believe it when I see it. :laughing:

Bama Ed

Webcam (ON/Off)

That's some good stuff right there.

I'm always a little nervous about using my phone as a hot spot. Too nervous I'll blow over my allowance. Especially since I'm sharing 15 gig with my DW, DW and my sister who uses her phone as her only internet.

j

Mommaluv,
can you tell me the brand and model number of the modem you bought? I think we may do this when we go next month. TIA!

I prefer NETGEAR so I bought the $44.00 one from Walmart. I am leaving it in my motor home for future uses. I really felt since the range wasn't very far it would service us while we sat outside but surprisingly the other two campers were able to pick it up with the code that came on the bottom of the modem.

Of course, I had to use my modem AND get the hook up from The Meadows Trading Post but if you return all the parts there is no cost for it.

Sprint can hotspot as well. Being doing this for number of years and they have unlimited data... You can set up when you need it - cost 20 a month. turn off when done.

Sprint can hotspot as well. Being doing this for number of years and they have unlimited data... You can set up when you need it - cost 20 a month. turn off when done.

Can you tell me how this works? I would love to have unlimited data when we are traveling!

Has anyone used an apple airport express? I have one at home i was using for wireless printing, but really don't need it anymore. I don't see why it wouldn't work, but was just wondering if anyone else tried it.

Is there wifi at the Meadows pool and such, or anywhere on the fort? I am fine with unplugging and we have data on our phones if we really need it. Just wondering if it's there at all.

Wifi is available at Crockett's tavern, which has a great set of rocking chairs you can sit in while you post. Wifi is also available at the Meadows and the pool. Some people bring their wireless routers from home and connect them to their cable modems that they get at the Fort so they can use it outside their campers. Just make sure it is password protected.

Thanks! As long as we have it somewhere around to check in, we are just fine. Will do us all good (the 12 year old and 9 year old especially) to not be so connected for a few days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter