Beer Mug Savings Package- Pre purchase Onboard Gifts, or wait until onboard?

Steamboat Girlie

I WANT TO BE LOCKED IN THE DISNEY VAULT! "Huh-huh.
Is there a benefit of pre purchasing the Beer Mug Savings Package on the website's onboard gifts or just waiting until onboard?

No real benefit, and there is one negative feature. You still pay the 18% autogratuity, and you will also be charged sales tax with the advance purchase. This last makes the cost slightly higher ($1.07, I believe).

Is there a benefit of pre purchasing the Beer Mug Savings Package on the website's onboard gifts or just waiting until onboard?
There really is no difference. I liked the idea of not telling and it was in the room when we got there which I thought was a nice surprise for my spouse. I always like the thought of walking into the room and having something there (even if you know what the club status is prior, it’s not the same as actually seeing it when you arrive). *wink*.

No real benefit, and there is one negative feature. You still pay the 18% autogratuity, and you will also be charged sales tax with the advance purchase. This last makes the cost slightly higher ($1.07, I believe).
Yeah, I think you're right that the tax negates any discount for buying it ahead of time. Looks like $19.06 to pre-purchase with gratuity and tax included. I think I saw it's $18.88 on board with just gratuity.

The risk in waiting is if they increase the price between now and your sailing.

So if you prepurchase do you get your first drink included? If you don't prepurchase do you get your first drink included? Just thinking this might also be a sway for one over the other if they differ

So if you prepurchase do you get your first drink included? If you don't prepurchase do you get your first drink included? Just thinking this might also be a sway for one over the other if they differ
Definitely no included beer with the pre-purchase. I don't believe it's included when purchased on board, either.

No real advantage to buying ahead of time. I think the option is there more for people to gift mugs to others.

No drink included on the prepurchase, since an empty mug is delivered to your stateroom before you get there. If you purchase onboard and have the mug filled with a draft beer, the cost of the first beer is added to your bill at that time. As I said above, the only real difference is bqeing hit up for the sales tax with an advance purchase.

No drink included on the prepurchase, since an empty mug is delivered to your stateroom before you get there. If you purchase onboard and have the mug filled with a draft beer, the cost of the first beer is added to your bill at that time. As I said above, the only real difference is bqeing hit up for the sales tax with an advance purchase.
Thanks that's good to know!

A question that may lead to a potential benefit of waiting - does anyone know if they have gone back to the glass mugs or if there have been any issues getting the glass mugs?

We went last April on the Fantasy, and I pre-purchased the mug. I'm honestly less interested in the extra 5 ounces of beer (I can't drink a lot any more), but I liked the idea of having a glass mug for home. When we got on the ship last year, I had a plastic mug (looked similar to the glass one pictured, with the logo, but it's green/blue plastic) with a note indicating it was a supply issue and giving me a card to get a free beer. The problem is, the plastic one never gets used again at home and is just stored somewhere. I'd put a glass one into the freezer and use it with my others more regularly.

Now, we did sail on the Wish last August, and they had glass ones, but they were a different design. It's shorter and wider, and it's also a bit bigger (24 ounces). It says Disney Wish on it.

So, I'm curious as to whether they're back to the glass ones (I'll pay $19 for a nice glass beer mug I can use at home with DCL logo on it, never mind getting to use it on the cruise). I'm debating whether to wait until on the ship (we sail in August on the Fantasy), for the purpose of making sure it's the glass ones and not a plastic one.

Edited to add a photo:
IMG_0291.jpeg

A question that may lead to a potential benefit of waiting - does anyone know if they have gone back to the glass mugs or if there have been any issues getting the glass mugs?

We went last April on the Fantasy, and I pre-purchased the mug. I'm honestly less interested in the extra 5 ounces of beer (I can't drink a lot any more), but I liked the idea of having a glass mug for home. When we got on the ship last year, I had a plastic mug (looked similar to the glass one pictured, with the logo, but it's green/blue plastic) with a note indicating it was a supply issue and giving me a card to get a free beer. The problem is, the plastic one never gets used again at home and is just stored somewhere. I'd put a glass one into the freezer and use it with my others more regularly.

Now, we did sail on the Wish last August, and they had glass ones, but they were a different design. It's shorter and wider, and it's also a bit bigger (24 ounces). It says Disney Wish on it.

So, I'm curious as to whether they're back to the glass ones (I'll pay $19 for a nice glass beer mug I can use at home with DCL logo on it, never mind getting to use it on the cruise). I'm debating whether to wait until on the ship (we sail in August on the Fantasy), for the purpose of making sure it's the glass ones and not a plastic one.

Edited to add a photo:
View attachment 770534
By the time we sailed the Wish (B2b, actually) in January, they no longer had the Wish-specific mug available. Both of the older designs were available, depending on where you purchased your draft beer (as usual, pool deck locations had the blue plastic version). I got the glass version in the Arendelle dining room. I returned from the cruise with a new style mug card, so I have one of each type. I have two glass and one plastic DCL mugs already, so didn’t need to bring another one home. If the Wish-specific design had been available, I would have brought that home.

In your circumstances, I would stop at the pub once onboard, and purchase a mug if it’s the glass version, rather than taking a chance on a pre-purchase. You don’t save any money by purchasing in advance.

Edited to add a photo:
View attachment 770534
I like that Wish mug. I'd love to see that with the other ship logos on it

I like the idea of the different mugs for each ship as well. We have a Wish one and one of the other ones.

The Wonder has the new DCL 25th anniversary glass beer mugs and they are very nice. Even shorter and wider than the Wish mug shown above.

Last edited:
One thing I'd say is that you may want to wait until you're on board to see the beer selection. If you're purchasing the mug with your main priority being beer savings, then I'd wait, if you just want the souvenir then pre-order.
The reason I say that, is that I just got off the Dream and they had 3 beers on tap, and several locations had nothing on tap. 687 had no Guinness, no Bud, no Kona, not even their signature beer on tap. They had a Grolsch hefe, Carlsberg for the first 2 nights but they ran out of that, Heineken for a few nights but also ran out of that, and another craft beer that I don't remember. They have some of those beers available in bottles, but those don't apply to the mug savings. Preludes had no drafts available this trip either (they normally only have 2 popular beers like bud lite, etc). Food and Bev was honestly pretty awful on my most recent trip.

One thing I'd say is that you may want to wait until you're on board to see the beer selection. If you're purchasing the mug with your main priority being beer savings, then I'd wait, if you just want the souvenir then pre-order.
The reason I say that, is that I just got off the Dream and they had 3 beers on tap, and several locations had nothing on tap. 687 had no Guinness, no Bud, no Kona, not even their signature beer on tap. They had a Grolsch hefe, Carlsberg for the first 2 nights but they ran out of that, Heineken for a few nights but also ran out of that, and another craft beer that I don't remember. They have some of those beers available in bottles, but those don't apply to the mug savings. Preludes had no drafts available this trip either (they normally only have 2 popular beers like bud lite, etc). Food and Bev was honestly pretty awful on my most recent trip.

Another consideration- if you don't want the beer mug but the re-useable token. I already have the mug so considering just buying another one, trading it in fot the token, & saving it for future cruises

Has anyone done the beer tasting? It's $45 and I was wondering how much beer you get and if you had a good time and would recommend it. If not, I do have the token from previous cruise for the large beer glass to use and, of course, I bring on a six-pack.

Has anyone done the beer tasting? It's $45 and I was wondering how much beer you get and if you had a good time and would recommend it. If not, I do have the token from previous cruise for the large beer glass to use and, of course, I bring on a six-pack.

I did the beer tasting on the Dream back in April. We had 5 tasting samples which I think each was probably about 10 fl oz or so. We had an engaging seminar, which of course is where the cost really goes (though you do get beers most people don't ordinarily come across as well). Your experience may vary depending on the person running the seminar, but I enjoyed it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter