• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Beds on the Magic

missyp

DIS Veteran
Has anyone else felt that the beds on the Magic were significantly less comfortable than the other 3 ships?
We just went on the Magic for the first time and we were really unhappy with the bed, we loved the beds on the other ships.

Has anyone else felt that the beds on the Magic were significantly less comfortable than the other 3 ships?
We just went on the Magic for the first time and we were really unhappy with the bed, we loved the beds on the other ships.
I don't notice any particular difference between the ships in regards to the beds. I would think that the same supplier is used for all of them.

The first night on the magic I found the bed really uncomfortable. It had a big dip/slope which was really quite painful as I have a bad pelvis. I mentioned it to my stateroom host and I'm not sure what he did - tighten some straps? Change the mattress? But after that it was lovely and comfortable. I was so relieved, felt like crying with tiredness the first night.

I'm so glad I mentioned it to him.

The first night on the magic I found the bed really uncomfortable. It had a big dip/slope which was really quite painful as I have a bad pelvis. I mentioned it to my stateroom host and I'm not sure what he did - tighten some straps? Change the mattress? But after that it was lovely and comfortable. I was so relieved, felt like crying with tiredness the first night.

I'm so glad I mentioned it to him.

Probably either changed it, put a board under it, and/or put a topper on it. No straps to tighten as Disney thankfully doesn't do the "let's put 2 mattresses together" insanity but has legit queen mattresses for the primary bed in the cabin.

It's both a plus and a minus that DCL has an actual queen mattress as the main bed in the cabin. It is nice to have one mattress instead of two strapped together, but for two adults travelling together who aren't a couple it can be awkward...or one person must take the couch twin or pullman twin. It definitely fits with DCL's idea of being a family cruise line, ie parents travelling with kids, but in other configurations it's not quite ideal.

We went on the Magic for the first time in September and also found the bed very uncomfortable.
We loved the bed on the Wonder and Dream.
I thought it was my degenerative spine issues so it did not occur to me to mention it to our stateroom host. Will remember that for next time.

We were on the Magic for 10 nights this summer and yes, I did find the bed uncomfortable. So much so that I ended up paying for a massage at the spa (I was in a significant amount of pain by that point and it helped alot, until I had to sleep on that same mattress for a few more nights). We stayed in London for a few days after the cruise and the mattress in our hotel was amazing and miraculously fixed my back pain. DH had the same thoughts. It never occurred to me to mention it to our stateroom host...

My wife and I recently did a B2B on the Magic. We weren't able to book the same stateroom for the second cruise, so had to move 2 doors down the hall. My wife found the bed in the first room very uncomfortable, but the second one was great.

Our bed was really worn down on the sides where people get in and out. Was not pleased with that. That mattress certainly needs replaced. I made a comment about it on the survey.

I don't notice any particular difference between the ships in regards to the beds. I would think that the same supplier is used for all of them.

There is no way our bed was the same as the beds on the other ships. We weren’t the only passengers who felt this way.

Had the same experience on my Bermuda cruise on the Magic a few weeks ago. The mattress was very worn on one side to the point I would roll off the bed if I didn’t lie more towards the center. I talked to someone else who also complained about their mattress and Disney actually changed their stateroom.

I’ve always found the beds on DCL really comfortable up until this cruise.

We sail this Saturday Nov 3rd on the Magic. I’m really hoping for a good mattress.

Yikes! This concerns me! We LOVED the bed on the Dream and are sailing the Magic next. Hope any issues are addressed by then!

There is no way our bed was the same as the beds on the other ships. We weren’t the only passengers who felt this way.

Agreed. And such an odd thing, too, since they did replace the frames in the last few years and mattresses are replaced all the time. (as opposed to people saying there's no midship detective agency or aquaduck - beds are an easy thing to update so I don't get it).

I have to say that the mattress in the middle was fine but as others have said the sides were worn down to a slope so you could actually roll from the center to the end. Maybe this particular model of mattress has less firm structure than other models. Never had that on other DCL ship mattresses.

MJ

I'm thinking it was just time for them to be replaced. Now, it's quite possible, even using the same supplier for all ships, that the product itself has declined and some mattresses don't wear as well and need to be replaced more often.

We sail this Saturday Nov 3rd on the Magic. I’m really hoping for a good mattress.

Well to follow up on my post as we just got off the Magic Nov10th.
The bed was really bad. DH didn't want to complain about it but you were sliding off toward the sides of the bed. The bed is really warn and flat with a hump in the middle. On the last day DH looked under his side of the bed and saw that a board was even broken which made his side worse then mine was. I brought my own pillow (striped one in photo) from home which made my sleep better since the pillows they gave were terribly flat as well. I will say looking at the bed it looks fine until you spend the night in it. We booked the magic with this same stateroom next year and told DH if the bed is horrible we are complaining next time.
A151DA42-2963-402A-BE51-2A1E332F121F.jpeg

I've sailed on the Magic many, many times. Just got back from our latest Magic sailings and I'll agree the bed was very uncomfortable. I don't remember the bed being anywhere near as uncomfortable as it was this time. I commented that it felt like I was sleeping on bricks - hard as a rock and lumpy! Woke up several mornings with my joints hurting that normally aren't an issue. Laughed about it with our cabin steward but he didn't fix anything because we didn't seriously complain about it.

This past October our bed was fine on the Magic but in 2017 it felt like a very heavy person had slept on it prior to our use, one side of the bed had no give or support at all and it was very uncomfortable.

It's both a plus and a minus that DCL has an actual queen mattress as the main bed in the cabin. It is nice to have one mattress instead of two strapped together, but for two adults travelling together who aren't a couple it can be awkward...or one person must take the couch twin or pullman twin. It definitely fits with DCL's idea of being a family cruise line, ie parents travelling with kids, but in other configurations it's not quite ideal.
Glad I'm not the only one to think & feel this way. Nearly all of my cruises have been with my best friend. While we've known each other 25 years, we still don't want to share. Since I'm the smaller of the two of us, I always take the sofa bed. (Thankfully I take 1/2 Dramamine to knock me out.) I remember and miss when there was the option to split the primary bed, but BFF felt she was going to roll off the twin size of them! (I however felt like we were at camp!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter