Bedknobs And Broomsticks

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
Today I happened to see a wonderful movie that is really considered the least talked about Disney movies of all time. That movie is Bedknobs And Broomsticks and it debuted in the 70's and is based on a book of the same name written by Mary Norton who also wrote The Borrowers. I first heard of this movie when my parents rented it for me a long time ago and the story did not appeal to me much but when I bought it on DVD I saw it again and found it wonderful. Angela Lansbury was superb as Eglantine and the song The Age Of Not Believing is a fantastic song with a good message. It's really a surprise that Bedknobs And Broomsticks has become underrated in live action Disney movies. Did it not do too well in theaters?

Bedknobs and Broomsticks was supposed to be a follow-up in the spirit of Mary Poppins and is from the same director, Robert Stevenson. It really is a wonderful little movie, however it never quite emerged from the shadow of Mary Poppins, which is of course an all-time great. It did okay though and is considred one of the minor classics. I really enjoyed the scenes where they go to the alley where the shifty folks hang out and the end, with the animated suits of armor and such. They did some great special effects for that movie. Also, the wonderfully named cat, Cosmic Creepers, was dressed to look more mangy and they did some amazing things when filming his face - he was so expressive! It may not be Mary Poppins, but this is a very worthwhile movie.

Last edited:
I loved this movie, saw it in the theaters when it came out. It has always been a favourite of our family, although my two great nephews find it too slow and low tech. I have it on DVD and I probably see it once or twice a year. Sadly WWll is not especially in the consciousness of anyone under say, 50? So it does not resonate with many kids. My nephews when they were younger (they are 6 and 8 now) loved the suits of armour knights. I like it almost as well as Mary Poppins.

I loved this movie, saw it in the theaters when it came out. It has always been a favourite of our family, although my two great nephews find it too slow and low tech. I have it on DVD and I probably see it once or twice a year. Sadly WWll is not especially in the consciousness of anyone under say, 50? So it does not resonate with many kids. My nephews when they were younger (they are 6 and 8 now) loved the suits of armour knights. I like it almost as well as Mary Poppins.

I'm still a bit under 50 and WWII resonates strongly with me, but I may be at the cut-off. As more people who were there are no longer with us, it will become less and less significant. Unfortunately, that means that society will forget the lessons we learned from it and what we were fighting for and against. At least the kids know Captain America though - though sometimes I wonder if they actually understand it.

I also own the blu-ray of this film. It has an interesting history of being edited and re-edited over the years and in the process a pretty substantial chunk of the original was lost, including (IIRC) at least one song.

If B&B had preceded Mary Poppins it would have a stronger legacy. Unfortunately all of the elements both films have in common are massively better in Poppins. The songs, the animated sequences, special effects, heck even the kids aren't as cute (Sorry!)

I do watch it occasionally hoping that it'll grow on me, but no luck thus far.

I also own the blu-ray of this film. It has an interesting history of being edited and re-edited over the years and in the process a pretty substantial chunk of the original was lost, including (IIRC) at least one song.

If B&B had preceded Mary Poppins it would have a stronger legacy. Unfortunately all of the elements both films have in common are massively better in Poppins. The songs, the animated sequences, special effects, heck even the kids aren't as cute (Sorry!)

I do watch it occasionally hoping that it'll grow on me, but no luck thus far.

That is true about the edits and various cuts. It's the Blade Runner of Disney movies!

(Also, talke about a movie I want to like way more than I actually do - Blade Runner is such a mess.)

I love this movie. I was just disappointed that the song "Eglantine" was shortened and "With a Flair" was cut completely. David Tomlinson was a true talent and fun to watch. At least the songs are on the soundtrack album.

Bedknobs and Broomsticks was supposed to be a follow-up in the spirit of Mary Poppins and is from the same director, Robert Stevenson. It really is a wonderful little movie, however it never quite emerged from the shadow of Mary Poppins, which is of course an all-time great. It did okay though and is considred one of the minor classics. I really enjoyed the scenes where they go to the alley where the shifty folks hang out and the end, with the animated suits of armor and such. They did some great special effects for that movie. Also, the wonderfully named cat, Cosmic Creepers, was dressed to look more mangy and they did some amazing things when filming his face - he was so expressive! It may not be Mary Poppins, but this is a very worthwhile movie.
Is the scene in the alley the scene where they sing Portabello Road? That's a wonderful song in Bedknobs And Broomsticks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter