Bed Time in the resort

melindaandrob

<font color=red>DIS Veteran<br><font color=blue>I
So, the kids are in bed, you are sitting in your room, what do you do? A friend told me that she and her dh sit on the bathroom floor and play cards, or read. I said "Every night?!!" She said that the kids wont go to sleep with the tv going or lights on. What do you do while the kids are sleeping in the evening?

This might sound strange, but it works... DH had the bright idea to hang a sheet from the side of the TV cabinet up to the ceiling fan so that we could watch TV. The sheet kept the light and disturbance to the children low, and we kept the volume quiet. The children slept just fine.

On evenings when we didn't feel like watching TV, we also played cards or talked (married people - can you imagine that!). Every night, we spent 20 minutes or so going through the park maps, schedules, and our passporter, and made a loose plan for the next day. I tried to write in my WDW journal each night to record special thoughts and memories, but wasn't consistant. Next trip I will do better!

take care!
Jo

I guess it depends on what time your kids go to bed. We are not strict with a bedtime especially on vacation. By the time our DD was asleep we were usually exhausted ourselves and jumped right into bed too! One night we spent time on the balcony talking and sipping wine and kept the door open to hear her, that was really nice. A few nights my dh was asleep when DD was and I went on the balcony and enjoyed the view and read the paper they give you in the morning. Don't worry you'll find lots to do or ways to relax.

I don't have any children, but every year I take my sister and her son (my nephew), who will be 5 this trip. We are members of the Disney Vacation Club and usually stay at the Boardwalk. When we have a 1 bedroom unit, it's no problem, as he has his own room. This time we are staying in a studio, so we can stay longer. I agree with MinnieGi, sometimes we all go to bed at the same time. But if he goes to sleep really early, we take turns splitting up. One adult will stay with him and the other will have some nice quiet alone time to go shopping on the Boardwalk or even to catch a show at the Comedy Warehouse at Pleasure Island.

When he was really little he would fall asleep in the stroller and we would just put him to bed when we got to the room. He's a heavy sleeper and wouldn't wake up during the transfer.

Sorry to be so vague but I find it true. You didn't mention how old your children are and that makes a difference. Ours are now 5&7 and we don't set bedtime on vacation -esp Disney. If you have a balcony its great for getting the kids to sleep. Most times we are out late and all tired enough to put on the tv and all fall asleep (not at home just on vaca:-)

When the girls were young they would fall asleep in the stroller and then we would put them to bed back at the room.

You do so much during the day -esp walking that you may find yourself tired earlier than at home. Don't worry about getting the kids to bed they will crash and you will all have a great time!
TJ

Hi MelindaandRob - We were still fairly strict about bedtime on our last vacation, at least for 7 of the 10 nights, because we would have paid too high a price the next day, so most nights the children were in bed by 8:00. We found that the children (4 & 7) had had such full days that they were more tired than usual, even at their normal bedtime. If we put them to bed, and then spent 5 or 10 minutes in the bathroom so they couldn't engage us in conversation, we found they were fast asleep when we came back to the room, and we could turn on the reading lights by our bed without disturbing them.

Good Luck!

It really depends on your kids. Our son was used to falling asleep with light and noise so we would just turn the TV on and put him in bed. DH liked to disappear for a while and I would plan the next day and then read or watch something harmless on TV. DS would still tend to stay up later than usual but it never affected him because he never slept a lot even as a baby. And we had the time difference which made bedtime even later in Florida.

Also, sometimes DH would come back or stay and I would take off for the Marketplace which I LOVED! :D

both our kids can go to sleep with the TV on. DD always goes to sleep with music playing. The ped thought it would help distract her from the noise in the house when she was a baby. Since DS was 8 yrs old and we have a small house it was impossible to keep distracting noises down at her bed time. DD usually naps in the stoller whenever we are somewhere on vacation and we all go to bed at the same time.
I have heard of parents with kids still in a crib bringing a spring loaded curtain rod and curtain and putting the crib in the vanity area or closet area (you know the kind. No door just a door way and a bar to hang clothes on).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter