Bed Height Question

I've had this problem at BWV and BCV. I typically call housekeeping and they remove the mattress/box spring from the frame and place them directly on the floor. Works perfectly for the height I need, and they're always very kind about it. I have yet to stay in a room with the new platform beds and I'm wondering how they would manage this since the beds don't have box springs.

Hi, Jecca.

I don't know.

When I stay at Pop Century Resort in the roll-in shower room, the platform bed is lower than the standard room. It is just the right height for me.

Oh good! I did have the same experience at the Poly a few years ago. The platform bed was the perfect height. I've just seen pictures of some of the newer rehabs and they look higher, but it might just be my imagination.

Yep and around here (Long Beach, CA) they won't charge you for the service unless they have to take you to the hospital, I know some areas aren't as lucky though.
They did not charge in Foster City, CA (near San Francisco), Little Rock, Maumelle (AR), and New Orleans. I'm pretty sure Reedy Creek would not charge as they do not charge to take one to the hospital (so I've been told).

I had not heard of any places that did charge. Maybe a volunteer fire department or one where they have to travel great distances? Most of the time (fortunately) the firefighters are there to be on call. A call like this when the fire department is 10 minutes away takes less than 30 minutes total and many times less. No ambulance arrives unless you tell them you are hurt and may need one.

Do you know how much some of these charges are for those that do charge? Since I was alone at home (and would be for 3 more days) I would have paid to be picked back up.

Just before Mardi Gras a beautiful home in New Orleans (with a lot of Mardi Gras history behind it) on St. Charles Avenue went up in flames in a 6 alarm fire. There was great concern that neighboring homes would also catch on fire. I also live on St. Charles not that many blocks away. I could easily see if I'd needed a pickup during that time I might have had to wait longer.

One other thing - I was able to crawl to the front door and unlock it. But I think I am going to replace that lock with one like I have at our other home where you can open it with a code. Just in case I could not get to the door I could give them the code. I just got an Apple watch (like 5 days ago) so I now have fall protection that can call 911 and I am not dependent on reaching my phone.

I probably sound paranoid about falls - but I have probably fallen 20 times in the past couple of years. Broke my collarbone on one fall - but the rest have only been bad bruises. I have begged for OT to help with transfers but Medicare says that OT is only for hand issues. Fortunately my neighbor is a recently retired OT and she has helped me a lot.

When I stayed in the Pop Century Resort standard room, the platform bed was very high for me. The space underneath could be used to store luggage.

I found the beds in the newly renovated rooms at Pop too tall foe me to get in and out of. Too high to get in and getting out was a drop to the floor. At 4’8” they were just too high. I don’t think the Pull down bed can be changed but hopefully the other bed can be.

It looks like the permanent bed is permanent. It's a platform bed, so no box spring, with the legs screwed to the plaform and the platform attached to the headboard. The bed would have to be literally taken apart, and the bed height would then necessarily be just the mattress height. Looks like 10-12 inches.

Hi, Jecca.

I don't know.

When I stay at Pop Century Resort in the roll-in shower room, the platform bed is lower than the standard room. It is just the right height for me.

It looks like the permanent bed is permanent. It's a platform bed, so no box spring, with the legs screwed to the plaform and the platform attached to the headboard. The bed would have to be literally taken apart, and the bed height would then necessarily be just the mattress height. Looks like 10-12 inches.

So if a person needed a higher bed they'd be out of luck? Wonder if they could put something under the mattress to make it higher?

I wanted to report back—the bed in the wheelchair accessible studio villa at SSR was indeed shorter than the normal “high” beds—an inch or two lower would have been perfect but I was able to make do. However, there were several other issues with the “accessible” room—and I plan to send an email to the GM. On my last night a Cast Member was walking down the hall and I asked him if I could report to him (he was in a suit so I assumed correctly he was in management) a light fixture that suddenly stopped working. He said yes and then asked if there were any other issues—wrong question!!! I invited him into my villa and pointed out the following:

The main closet was approximately 12 inches from the bed—the door was a folding style and you could not even fully open it. To get to the closet I had to walk sideways and there was barely room to turn around. There was no way someone in a wheelchair could get to it. There was a smaller closet that a wheelchair user could get to but that included the vacuum, pac n play, and other equipment but even if those items had been removed the only closet rod was way too high even for me (let alone someone who was fully in a wheelchair) and when things were hung on the shelf which was lower the closet door wouldn’t close! What really hurt my heart was that I told them about this issue 10 YEARS AGO and had expected something to have been fixed by now (back then they moved us (I was with someone else) to a 2-bedroom for the length of our stay— since I was alone and I could cope I purposely didn’t want to mention anything until the end/after my stay because I didn’t want them to think I wanted something.)

Second, the plates, cups and other utensils that are provided in a studio were on the top shelf (above my head) even though there were four other cupboards/drawers that were low and totally unused! An easy fix but apparently no one else has ever noted this to them?

Third, the coffee pot did not fit on the shelf under the cupboards and was on a high shelf when I first got there. Plus the plug was in a very awkward location—and once you placed the coffee maker where there was room, basically you lost all of the counter space.

Fourth, in the bathroom there were no towel racks near the shower—basically you had to balance a towel on the sink (no counter) or go across the room to get a towel after showering. Even a hook (there were two—both near the towel racks) next to the shower area would have been a help. Also—there was no counter space to put anything—there was a small shelf above the toilet but half of that was taken up with the Kleenex box.

Finally, I talked to him about the bed height concern I had originally had and he emphasized that at least at SSR they have four or five different legs they can put on the bed that would lower or heighten the bed—and could in a pinch remove the entire frame and put the mattress and bed spring on the floor. He made it sound like it was a common request—and I am assuming this would be do-able at other Disney resorts and in regular rooms as well as accessible ones—I don’t think they want people injuring themselves getting in and out of bed!!!!

He took pictures of the issues and indicated he was going to try to immediately implement the change regarding the cups, plates and utensils —and that the resort is undergoing a refurb later this year and he was going to bring up these issues with the designers. He also asked me to be sure to send the email detailing these issues as well.

So bottom line—if we encounter issues we need to advise Disney and document them. Hopefully after enough some changes will actually get implemented!

I wanted to report back—the bed in the wheelchair accessible studio villa at SSR was indeed shorter than the normal “high” beds—an inch or two lower would have been perfect but I was able to make do. However, there were several other issues with the “accessible” room—and I plan to send an email to the GM. On my last night a Cast Member was walking down the hall and I asked him if I could report to him (he was in a suit so I assumed correctly he was in management) a light fixture that suddenly stopped working. He said yes and then asked if there were any other issues—wrong question!!! I invited him into my villa and pointed out the following:

The main closet was approximately 12 inches from the bed—the door was a folding style and you could not even fully open it. To get to the closet I had to walk sideways and there was barely room to turn around. There was no way someone in a wheelchair could get to it. There was a smaller closet that a wheelchair user could get to but that included the vacuum, pac n play, and other equipment but even if those items had been removed the only closet rod was way too high even for me (let alone someone who was fully in a wheelchair) and when things were hung on the shelf which was lower the closet door wouldn’t close! What really hurt my heart was that I told them about this issue 10 YEARS AGO and had expected something to have been fixed by now (back then they moved us (I was with someone else) to a 2-bedroom for the length of our stay— since I was alone and I could cope I purposely didn’t want to mention anything until the end/after my stay because I didn’t want them to think I wanted something.)

Second, the plates, cups and other utensils that are provided in a studio were on the top shelf (above my head) even though there were four other cupboards/drawers that were low and totally unused! An easy fix but apparently no one else has ever noted this to them?

Third, the coffee pot did not fit on the shelf under the cupboards and was on a high shelf when I first got there. Plus the plug was in a very awkward location—and once you placed the coffee maker where there was room, basically you lost all of the counter space.

Fourth, in the bathroom there were no towel racks near the shower—basically you had to balance a towel on the sink (no counter) or go across the room to get a towel after showering. Even a hook (there were two—both near the towel racks) next to the shower area would have been a help. Also—there was no counter space to put anything—there was a small shelf above the toilet but half of that was taken up with the Kleenex box.

Finally, I talked to him about the bed height concern I had originally had and he emphasized that at least at SSR they have four or five different legs they can put on the bed that would lower or heighten the bed—and could in a pinch remove the entire frame and put the mattress and bed spring on the floor. He made it sound like it was a common request—and I am assuming this would be do-able at other Disney resorts and in regular rooms as well as accessible ones—I don’t think they want people injuring themselves getting in and out of bed!!!!

He took pictures of the issues and indicated he was going to try to immediately implement the change regarding the cups, plates and utensils —and that the resort is undergoing a refurb later this year and he was going to bring up these issues with the designers. He also asked me to be sure to send the email detailing these issues as well.

So bottom line—if we encounter issues we need to advise Disney and document them. Hopefully after enough some changes will actually get implemented!

I'm really glad that you had a chance to address a member of the leadership team directly, and show him your concerns! When we stayed at WL in January, I had the opportunity to speak with 2 of the managers there, and we discussed why it was important for (at least some of the) roll-in shower rooms to have 2 Queen beds: so that a caregiver can travel with a Guest. Right now, my adult daughter (who is petite, despite her dad and I both being *trees* by comparison LOL) sleeps in the bottom bunk bed in those rooms! Otherwise, we have to take a King bed room, and share a bed. At Deluxe Resort rates, I feel like it shouldn't be too much to ask for 2 Queen beds in at least one roll-in shower room.

As I expected, it had never occurred to them that someone might want 2 Queen beds in a roll-in shower room. So many of these types of issues are not self-evident until you have wheels under your butt; hotel rooms are equipped and designed with the greatest common denominator in mind: bipedal adults.

And before anyone says it: YES, these rooms - designated as Handicapped Accessible and outfitted with (primarily) HA bathroom features - SHOULD be completely revamped to be as accessible as possible, from closets to safes, coffeemakers, fridges, even the placement of the hairdryer. But how many room designers, how many housekeeping supervisors, how many managers at WDW (or within the hospitality industry as a whole) use mobility devices on a daily basis? I'm willing to bet that it's a fairly low number. And so, it's not intentional indifference, but until they have experienced it themselves (or via a loved one), they won't "get it", they won't really understand why where the cups and plates are matters.

They do the bare minimum required, because they don't know better. I'm NOT excusing them - far from it - but I believe that a great many of us are going to have to have these kinds of interactions and discussions with managers at WDW before we begin to see meaningful changes. And even if you tell the managers? Someone has to then tell Housekeeping, and *those* managers will have to create new protocols for those rooms, and then all of the housekeepers have to be trained on those specific protocols... otherwise, eventually all the cups and plates will just migrate back up to the higher cabinets.

I truly am glad and grateful, and yes - hopeful - that you took time from your vacation to educate that manager! Thank you again :)

8C0E3285-E8EB-4A1B-BFB8-9774F5AD90A4.jpeg 27C142AC-9819-4076-821A-B47E28433AC3.jpeg
We’ve stayed in 2 renovated accessible rooms now at Old Key West. They were very well done, but OKW has much larger rooms than many other resorts. This is a one bedroom Disney Vacation Club villa.
The bed height was close to my daughter’s wheelchair cushion height.
What looks like a stationary cabinet between sink and stove in the kitchen is a roll out. Removing it allows for a roll under counter with the cabinet as a moveable works station. The one suggestion we had was to put some drawers above it - could still roll under the counter with drawers.

How about making wheelchairs that bring a person up to their normal standing height, or at least a few inches higher? That might solve a lot of issues, and make it easier to use many options in hotel rooms, etc. It seems to me that the issue is a wheelchair makes everything have to be down really low, making the room less functional for the hotel? Although, my very short aunts (4'6" to 4'8") would love it if they lowered everything like the OP described.

They did not charge in Foster City, CA (near San Francisco), Little Rock, Maumelle (AR), and New Orleans. I'm pretty sure Reedy Creek would not charge as they do not charge to take one to the hospital (so I've been told).

I had not heard of any places that did charge. Maybe a volunteer fire department or one where they have to travel great distances? Most of the time (fortunately) the firefighters are there to be on call. A call like this when the fire department is 10 minutes away takes less than 30 minutes total and many times less. No ambulance arrives unless you tell them you are hurt and may need one.

Do you know how much some of these charges are for those that do charge? Since I was alone at home (and would be for 3 more days) I would have paid to be picked back up.

Just before Mardi Gras a beautiful home in New Orleans (with a lot of Mardi Gras history behind it) on St. Charles Avenue went up in flames in a 6 alarm fire. There was great concern that neighboring homes would also catch on fire. I also live on St. Charles not that many blocks away. I could easily see if I'd needed a pickup during that time I might have had to wait longer.

One other thing - I was able to crawl to the front door and unlock it. But I think I am going to replace that lock with one like I have at our other home where you can open it with a code. Just in case I could not get to the door I could give them the code. I just got an Apple watch (like 5 days ago) so I now have fall protection that can call 911 and I am not dependent on reaching my phone.

I probably sound paranoid about falls - but I have probably fallen 20 times in the past couple of years. Broke my collarbone on one fall - but the rest have only been bad bruises. I have begged for OT to help with transfers but Medicare says that OT is only for hand issues. Fortunately my neighbor is a recently retired OT and she has helped me a lot.
Some charge as high as $200+ if you haven't signed up for small (around $1)s monthly cost to be added to your phone bill. Others charge around $10, it really just varies throughout the country.

And not all places do, just didn't want everyone to think it is always free everywhere you go and be shocked if it isn't.

View attachment 398472 View attachment 398473
We’ve stayed in 2 renovated accessible rooms now at Old Key West. They were very well done, but OKW has much larger rooms than many other resorts. This is a one bedroom Disney Vacation Club villa.
The bed height was close to my daughter’s wheelchair cushion height.
What looks like a stationary cabinet between sink and stove in the kitchen is a roll out. Removing it allows for a roll under counter with the cabinet as a moveable works station. The one suggestion we had was to put some drawers above it - could still roll under the counter with drawers.
I am assuming all of the upper cabinets also pulled down to lower heights as required by ADA?

I am asking because I don't see anything that allows for that in the pictures and I see no way that the cabinets above the refrigerator could do so.

Also, the upper shelf's of the refrigerator could pull down to wheelchair height without someone needing to have to stand up from a wheelchair, right?

And why is the ice and water dispenser so high on the refrigerator? It should be a lower height if the appliance was considered ADA compliant.

Did you place the trash can under the sink or did Disney? That also would prevent a wheelchair from properly rolling under the sink and makes that portion non ADA compliant, although that is a simple fix.

The oven needs to be separate from the stove top burners so that a wheelchair could roll under the counter with the burners so they could reach the back burner or the burners need to be configured differently.

I can't tell for sure, but I believe the end tables by the bed are too tall to be considered ADA compliant.

And those are the issues I can see from just the two photos that a planchecker in California would have with the room when reviewing the drawings there could be more issues they would have found, these are just ones I personally know would be an issue.

How about making wheelchairs that bring a person up to their normal standing height, or at least a few inches higher? That might solve a lot of issues, and make it easier to use many options in hotel rooms, etc. It seems to me that the issue is a wheelchair makes everything have to be down really low, making the room less functional for the hotel? Although, my very short aunts (4'6" to 4'8") would love it if they lowered everything like the OP described.

They do make wheelchairs that raise and lower, however, they are significantly more expensive than a standard chair, due to the mechanics involved. And if you're wondering why they aren't higher in general, my guess is just because it would be difficult to get in/out of them if the seat were high enough to bring someone up to a "normal height." But I might be misunderstanding what you have in mind.

And as someone who's 4'10" I wouldn't mind if everything were lowered. I finally have a desk at work that works well for me, while still allowing me to sit in an office chair with my back against the backrest AND my feet on the floor. Wow! I still have to type with my hands a bit higher than the "recommended/ideal" height, but I don't think most people have it at the ideal height, and I'm used to it being a bit higher. Sometimes, it's the simple things!

Last edited:
They do make wheelchairs that raise and lower, however, they are significantly more expensive than a standard chair, due to the mechanics involved. And if you're wondering why they aren't higher in general, my guess is just because it would be difficult to get in/out of them if the seat were high enough to bring someone up to a "normal height." But I might be misunderstanding what you have in mind.

And as someone who's 4'10" I wouldn't mind if everything were lowered. I finally have a desk at work that works well for me, while still allowing me to sit in an office chair with my back against the backrest AND my feet on the floor. Wow! I still have to type with my hands a bit higher than the "recommended/ideal" height, but I don't think most people have it at the ideal height, and I'm used to it being a bit higher. Sometimes, it's the simple things!
Seating heights of wheelchairs do vary. My daughter has high profile cushion on her manual wheelchair, so her seat height is taller than some people’s.
Her power wheelchair is one that can raise or lower her seated position and she can also stand using it. You’re right that they are considerably more expensive than a standard power chair. Unless someone is independently wealth (Ha!) it takes a very large amount of documentation to prove need for one of those.

All of the things you mentioned would be nice and would be something I would consider if I was building a fully accessible house, but they are not required by the ADA for “transient housing”, which is the category that hotels and timeshares fit into.
It’s possible that California has additional requirements, but this met ADA.
I am assuming all of the upper cabinets also pulled down to lower heights as required by ADA?

I am asking because I don't see anything that allows for that in the pictures and I see no way that the cabinets above the refrigerator could do so.

Also, the upper shelf's of the refrigerator could pull down to wheelchair height without someone needing to have to stand up from a wheelchair, right?
The upper cabinets don’t pull down. The ADA requirement is 50% of the storage meets ADA reach requirements. One way is pull down cabinets, but it can also be met in other ways, which can be additional storage. The ADA just says to meet, not how.
With the lower cabinet and the open shelving across from the cabinets, it meets 50%.
My daughter could reach the lowest shelf of the wall cabinets while seated in her wheelchair.
The cabinet above the refrigerator was high for anyone and had nothing stored in it.
When we checked in, we were told if we needed anything moved or placed lower to call Housekeeper and they would move it.

And why is the ice and water dispenser so high on the refrigerator? It should be a lower height if the appliance was considered ADA compliant.
My daughter got ice and water from it while seated in her wheelchair, so it was accessible.
The ADA guidelines for refrigerators say they must have at least 50% of the freezer space at a maximum of 54 inches above floor level. That’s why the accessible villas. have side by side refrigerator/freezers.
Did you place the trash can under the sink or did Disney? That also would prevent a wheelchair from properly rolling under the sink and makes that portion non ADA compliant, although that is a simple fix.
That was were the trash and recycling were when we got into the room. The sink is compliant - moveable items are not included in assessing compliance. There was plenty of space on the end of the ‘shelf island’ to put them there with no impinging on the pathway (OKW rooms are large).
The oven needs to be separate from the stove top burners so that a wheelchair could roll under the counter with the burners so they could reach the back burner or the burners need to be configured differently.
The ADA requires that if a stovetop is used, if the area below it has roll under space, the underside area needs to be insulated/protected to prevent burns, shocks and abrasions and have no sharp areas.
The location of the controls has to prevent reaching across the burners - since they are on the front, that is met. There is nothing in the ADA about burner location or saying a separate cooktop and oven must be used.
If a range is used, the ADA says there must be an accessible work station next to it. The cabinet between the sink and stove can be rolled out the make a roll under work space next to the range. (it rolled easily)
I can't tell for sure, but I believe the end tables by the bed are too tall to be considered ADA compliant. And those are the issues I can see from just the two photos that a planchecker in California would have with the room when reviewing the drawings there could be more issues they would have found, these are just ones I personally know would be an issue.
The only furniture heights specified in the ADA are bed heights, not other movable furniture items.
There needs to be a 36 inch wide pathway on both sides of the bed, which was met. The side next to the outside wall had a lot more than 36 inches. The side with the chair was big enough, but the chair and ottoman could be easily moved if someone wanted more room.
The end tables were a good height for use while in bed.

Since OKW had just completed renovations of the inside of their guest rooms, we did have several discussions with OKW management about how we felt about the renovated rooms. There were some rooms that met the ADA guidelines when they were built, but were not able to be renovated to meet the newer guidelines that are now in effect. I can’t remember exactly how many previous roll-in shower ADA rooms they lost, but their ADA Compliance Officer directed them that some had to be removed from ADA rooms and placed into regular room inventory.
The main issues, as I understand, were with shower depth and exact configuration of the bathrooms. Even though all the rooms look alike, there are subtle differences in dimensions of some rooms.

Is the stovetop lower in a DVC unit with a kitchen? I love to cook, but one of my biggest frustrations at home is not being able to see what I am cooking because of the height of the range. I'd come to WDW just to cook for a week if it were easier. (well maybe).

At home I now have a lower table where I use a food processor, mini Instant Pot, and cutting board. I can do lots of prep work and then my DH helps me with the stove stuff. Although I've been known to use a mirror to look into the pot I am cooking.

It's also difficult for me to safely put things in the oven. My solution there is to use a toaster oven on the counter with small pans/sheets. Since I've only cooking for 2 it works.

This is all relatively new to me, but I still consider myself blessed. At my age (turning 73 this year) I've lost so many friends and others have far more serious issues like dementia,vision or hearing loss. I'm just working on how to adapt - not really complaining. My life is still good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter