Bed bugs?

Timhags

Mouseketeer
So just read a story about a lawsuit for bed bugs at ASM, does anyone have any bad experience s at disney resorts or in the area? Staying in Disney springs in july and curious. Have had family that had issues in other resorts around the country and thought it wasn't an issue anymore.

So just read a story about a lawsuit for bed bugs at ASM, does anyone have any bad experience s at disney resorts or in the area? Staying in Disney springs in july and curious. Have had family that had issues in other resorts around the country and thought it wasn't an issue anymore.
Unfortunately, bedbugs can be an issue anywhere. All you can do is be vigilant about checking out your bed and room upon arrival, and even then there are no guarantees.

Bed bugs are brought to Disney resorts by guests, unfortunately. They do their best address the situation immediately but, like all other hotels, can't check each guest.

No matter where you're staying, check your bed before climbing in. Keep your bags off the floor.

Just experienced bed bugs in our room at Caribbean Beach in January of this year. I made a video all about it and went over everything about how Disney handled it. It was 24 minutes of me talking, so it would probably take too long to type out. If you're interested, skip to 5:54 for the start of the bed bug story

Well at least it sounds like Disney did all they could to help you out and you didn't have to spend time doing your own laundry, but yikes!

Bed bugs are brought to Disney resorts by guests, unfortunately. They do their best address the situation immediately but, like all other hotels, can't check each guest.

No matter where you're staying, check your bed before climbing in. Keep your bags off the floor.
They may not be able to check every guest; however, by law they can and are supposed to check every room between guests checking out and new guests checking in and not asking the room until it has been decontaminated if bed bugs are found. So really, no one should ever check into a hotel and find bedbugs. Of course we all know everyone is human and mistakes get made, but technically it shouldn't ever happen.

It's not about checking every guest it's about protecting the rest of us and cleaniness. I'm a " service industry employee" worries me a little

Bedbugs aren't restricted to beds. After all, the way they get someplace new is by hitching a ride on something like luggage. So, before jumping to the conclusion that the hotel is to blame, it's worth considering the possibility that the bugs were brought into the room on luggage. Anyone traveling by plane needs to remember that their bags come into contact with other bags (either in the cargo area or the overhead compartment).

Can you clarify where ASM is?? Did you mean all star music? or all star movies?

Unfortunately, bedbugs can be an issue anywhere. All you can do is be vigilant about checking out your bed and room upon arrival, and even then there are no guarantees.
Exactly. There are no guarantees. I stayed at AS Music about 1.5-2 years ago. Checked my room. No sign of bed bugs. Slept the first night, woke up, showered, came outta the shower to find a bed bug on my bed. Yup, had a bite mark. There were only a couple of bugs apparently, thats why they were harder to find. Long story short, i head over to the front desk and they got on it RIGHT AWAY. Man, Disney doesn't mess around. I was impressed at how well they handled the situation.They treated all of my clothes, shipped me off to a different resort. You name it.

They may not be able to check every guest; however, by law they can and are supposed to check every room between guests checking out and new guests checking in and not asking the room until it has been decontaminated if bed bugs are found. So really, no one should ever check into a hotel and find bedbugs. Of course we all know everyone is human and mistakes get made, but technically it shouldn't ever happen.

If a guest checks in for a night or two and unknown to them bring in a couple of bedbugs, it will likely take a few weeks or even more to even determine there may be a problem. In the meantime, that room may have been turned over several times. Bedbugs hide in nooks and crannies, they don’t need to feed daily and it takes some time for eggs to hatch. You really can’t expect housekeeping to find them right away between guests under normal circumstances.

Exactly. There are no guarantees. I stayed at AS Music about 1.5-2 years ago. Checked my room. No sign of bed bugs. Slept the first night, woke up, showered, came outta the shower to find a bed bug on my bed. Yup, had a bite mark. There were only a couple of bugs apparently, thats why they were harder to find. Long story short, i head over to the front desk and they got on it RIGHT AWAY. Man, Disney doesn't mess around. I was impressed at how well they handled the situation.They treated all of my clothes, shipped me off to a different resort. You name it.
And that’s what makes the difference. Any hotel chain could get them, it’s how it’s handled by the hotel that makes or breaks it for me.

And that’s what makes the difference. Any hotel chain could get them, it’s how it’s handled by the hotel that makes or breaks it for me.
What impressed me most were the sniffer dogs. Yes, they have dogs that sniff out bed bugs. Incredible. :) Disney is amazing. They really took care of me. It could have been so much worse had i stayed at a different off-site hotel. Disney is amazing.

What impressed me most were the sniffer dogs. Yes, they have dogs that sniff out bed bugs. Incredible. :) Disney is amazing. They really took care of me. It could have been so much worse had i stayed at a different off-site hotel. Disney is amazing.
Yes. I’ve seen those dogs. We’ve thankfully never had bedbugs in our room at Disney, but I’ve seen rooms being treated for them.

Our local library had a case of bed bugs and had to go book by book, it was horrible. Those little creeps will hitch a ride anywhere.
Yep, anywhere. Movie theatres, public transportation, schools, ........the list goes on and on.

My husband works for a large university. They've had issues in student housing with bedbugs and even in their administration offices -- it's almost impossible to avoid in public places where people from all over the world converge..

All you can do is check out your room when you arrive and do your best to be diligent. Every time I've heard of a bedbug issue at Disney, they have gone above and beyond to make it right.

We had them in my office. Living in the cubicle walls in the nooks crannies. I had nightmares for weeks lol.

We just had them in a room at Saratoga. Didn't notice the bites until the evening I got home. I have been home for 3 weeks and I keep checking but I don't think we brought them home. Disney was very responsive and I am completely satisfied with how they responded.

I travel a lot and always check the bed (including this time at Saratoga!). When I get home I put everything I can in the hot cycle of the dryer and then wash and dry it. I vacuum the suitcases out before I put them away. What else can you really do?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter