Becoming a Disney Travel Planner/Agent - Tell Me about it

Grendalynn

Self Proclaimed DIS Veteran
Good Morning Mouseketeers!

I have been thinking a lot about becoming a certified Disney Travel Planner... Not as a full time job, but something on the side. DS17 is headed in to college in the fall and I figured I should do something to generate a little extra income and do it by doing something I LOVE. I love traveling, I love planning our Disney Vacations and most of all - I LOVE all things Disney. I thought this would be a perfect fit! I have been at my current job for almost 20 years and if this travel agent thing really takes off, I could be in the market for a career change. But if not, if its just a little something extra on the side - so be it.... I need to take baby steps to start...

Anyone out there going through the same thing, looking to become a official Disney Travel Agent or already a DTA?

I have been thinking a lot about becoming a certified Disney Travel Planner... Not as a full time job, but something on the side. DS17 is headed in to college in the fall and I figured I should do something to generate a little extra income and do it by doing something I LOVE. I love traveling, I love planning our Disney Vacations and most of all - I LOVE all things Disney. I thought this would be a perfect fit! I have been at my current job for almost 20 years and if this travel agent thing really takes off, I could be in the market for a career change. But if not, if its just a little something extra on the side - so be it.... I need to take baby steps to start...

Anyone out there going through the same thing, looking to become a official Disney Travel Agent or already a DTA?

I have a friend who is a Disney Travel agent, she owns her own agency now. She loves it but one thing to keep in mind - when we travel she is spending breaks and evenings working up quotes and one morning had to get up at 6:00am to do dining reservations.

There is no such thing as part time. The clients will call you at all times of the day or night, 7 days a week. You do not get paid until after they do their traveling. And there are times you do all the research and they could cancel. It takes time to work up the clientele. Not trying to discourage you, just being honest with you.

You aren't a certified Disney Travel Agent/Planner. Disney only gives that title to an approved agency. With that said, it's fun, but you are on call 24/7.

Hey Grendalynn,

I am a certified Disney Travel Agent through my host company, Archer Travel Group. We are actually looking for some more Disney-focused Travel Agents. If you think you might be interested, please email me at shawnwigg@yahoo.com.

Thanks,
Shawn

Keep in mind that it isn't a planning job 95% of the time, it is a SALES job. You have to generate your own leads. Disney does have quotas you have to meet. If you are good at sales, and your area isn't oversaturated with agents, give it a try.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter