Beat the Blerch

FFigawi

DIS Veteran
For everyone who's a fan of The Oatmeal and especially the Blerch, this race is for you. I really want to come back for this. Costumes, cake, Nutella, and "magical grape beverages" - even Disney can't top that.

http://www.beattheblerch.com/

I saw this on Facebook yesterday and immediately started looking up hotels before I stopped myself. I seriously cannot afford another cross-country trip this year!

If this becomes an annual thing, I am going to try my best to get there next time!

I saw this and I'd love to do it. I live about two hours away. BUT... I'm moving across the country in June and it doesn't make sense to fly back so soon.

On the plus side, I'm moving to Orlando so it'll make it easier to get to RunDisney races at WDW.

Anyone else sign up for this today? It was a nightmare. They did registration through raceit.com, which is normally great, but just couldn't handle this level of traffic. It took me 16 minutes to register, and I was one of the lucky ones. It sold out in 29 minutes. I'm curious how many spots were available. Someone on the facebook page mentioned 2000 spots, but was unclear whether that was total spots for all 3 distances, or 2000 spots per distance (10k, half, full). I'm not surprised. I'm local, so I went out to the race location yesterday for my run to check it out. The trail is a decent size for normal purposes (imagine a standard single lane road), but throw an out-and-back race course on it and it's going to be awfully tight, especially at the start.

Anyways, I'm in for the full! It'll be my 3rd full marathon, and I'm hoping a nice, tree-lined course will be just what I need to stay strong the entire race. And also cake. And Blerches chasing me. :)

Anyone else sign up for this today? It was a nightmare. They did registration through raceit.com, which is normally great, but just couldn't handle this level of traffic. It took me 16 minutes to register, and I was one of the lucky ones. It sold out in 29 minutes. I'm curious how many spots were available. Someone on the facebook page mentioned 2000 spots, but was unclear whether that was total spots for all 3 distances, or 2000 spots per distance (10k, half, full). I'm not surprised. I'm local, so I went out to the race location yesterday for my run to check it out. The trail is a decent size for normal purposes (imagine a standard single lane road), but throw an out-and-back race course on it and it's going to be awfully tight, especially at the start.

Anyways, I'm in for the full! It'll be my 3rd full marathon, and I'm hoping a nice, tree-lined course will be just what I need to stay strong the entire race. And also cake. And Blerches chasing me. :)

Congrats on registering! I really wish I could do this one. Good luck!

Wow, sold out in 29 minutes! Although I suppose that's not too surprising considering The Oatmeal's fan base. Congrats on getting in. I hope you'll come back and share how it went.

Totally a real (awesome) thing!

Once I found the FAQs and such I became convinced it was real. It just seemed so silly at first. :)

But I was one of the few who got in today...doing the 10K which will be perfect, since I'm planning on doing Tacoma's "You Go Girl" Half the weekend before. (I did St Paddy's Day Half on the 15th and by the next Saturday could easily have done 6ish miles and was bummed I didn't do a good run that weekend)

I'm a lazy person in the morning, but for some reason woke up (dreaming about someone giving me a gift of $120 and not knowing what to do with it and it bothered me so much I woke up) and it hit me that it was 8:37 and I needed to get to the computer. So lucky! Refresh refresh refresh, resubmit resubmit resubmit...happy to get in. Was trying to add the parking pass, but it never worked so I forgot about that and moved on.

Once I found the FAQs and such I became convinced it was real. It just seemed so silly at first. :) But I was one of the few who got in today...doing the 10K which will be perfect, since I'm planning on doing Tacoma's "You Go Girl" Half the weekend before. (I did St Paddy's Day Half on the 15th and by the next Saturday could easily have done 6ish miles and was bummed I didn't do a good run that weekend) I'm a lazy person in the morning, but for some reason woke up (dreaming about someone giving me a gift of $120 and not knowing what to do with it and it bothered me so much I woke up) and it hit me that it was 8:37 and I needed to get to the computer. So lucky! Refresh refresh refresh, resubmit resubmit resubmit...happy to get in. Was trying to add the parking pass, but it never worked so I forgot about that and moved on.

Awesome! Maybe we could actually meet up! We have a much higher likelihood of running into each other at this race than at a rundisney one.

Yeah, my friend had a problem with the parking pass and in her attempts to correct it, ended up with 3 races in her cart. Luckily she got it all fixed and submitted before the sellout.

I think what caused people so many problems was whenever they'd get that "server unavailable" message, they'd start over. Not me! I just hit refresh! Even when it said "are you sure?" Lol. Maybe it's my years of signing up for Disney races and SDCC.

Anyways, a few runners I know didn't get in, but my closest friends did (1 for the 10k, 2 for the half), so I am happy. I'll definitely review the race here for all interested once it's over. It sounds like it's going to be pretty unique and hopefully epic!

I think what caused people so many problems was whenever they'd get that "server unavailable" message, they'd start over. Not me! I just hit refresh! Even when it said "are you sure?" Lol. Maybe it's my years of signing up for Disney races and SDCC.

I definitely feel like the Disney-race people had an advantage. And it's funny b/c Disney runs attract newbies (like me), but the Blerch one really seemed to get the newbies interested (from comments on FB). I think it's awesome, but I sure did feel like a veteran when signing up for it!

And yes there should be some sort of Seattle meetup thing.

We tried to register, got kicked out when the server crashed, and didn't get a spot when it came back up. :(

I was reading the blog and noticed that there was an actual race just a bit too late. I wondered when it opened and how fast it filled. 29 minutes! WOW!!! I wish I could have signed up... looks like it will be a lot of fun. (and is fairly local for me)

Once I found the FAQs and such I became convinced it was real. It just seemed so silly at first. :)

But I was one of the few who got in today...doing the 10K which will be perfect, since I'm planning on doing Tacoma's "You Go Girl" Half the weekend before. (I did St Paddy's Day Half on the 15th and by the next Saturday could easily have done 6ish miles and was bummed I didn't do a good run that weekend)

I'm a lazy person in the morning, but for some reason woke up (dreaming about someone giving me a gift of $120 and not knowing what to do with it and it bothered me so much I woke up) and it hit me that it was 8:37 and I needed to get to the computer. So lucky! Refresh refresh refresh, resubmit resubmit resubmit...happy to get in. Was trying to add the parking pass, but it never worked so I forgot about that and moved on.

So cool you got in! I hope to be able to read all about it. :goodvibes

So, if you wanted to do this race and didn't get signed up, it would be worth your while to sign up for the wait list, even now. I saw Matthew Inman, aka the oatmeal, yesterday at ECCC, and he mentioned they are going to add a Saturday race, to open it up for those that didn't get in originally.

So, if you wanted to do this race and didn't get signed up, it would be worth your while to sign up for the wait list, even now. I saw Matthew Inman, aka the oatmeal, yesterday at ECCC, and he mentioned they are going to add a Saturday race, to open it up for those that didn't get in originally.

Did he mention anything about the virtual race or new locations?

I'm running the 10K with a friend and my 21yo daughter. See all of my Seattle area peeps at the race! :cool1: I might try to get a campsite - I'll let you know if I do. :)

Alice

Good to know on the possibility of the Saturday race!

Darn, I didn't know he was going to be at ECCC. My daughter was there all weekend, I would have had her on the lookout for an autograph.

Good to know on the possibility of the Saturday race! Darn, I didn't know he was going to be at ECCC. My daughter was there all weekend, I would have had her on the lookout for an autograph.

Yep, he had a big booth and was signing every time I walked by. Always had a big line, too. Hopefully he got some breaks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter