Bean Counters and shortsightedness

I agree with this. And, imo, the uncertainty of the future of the entire media universe. Streaming has increased the library of 'content' many, many fold. And that is just that much more competition that new, original content has to compete against. How many tv viewers say to themselves, "let's watch a rerun of an old TV series that we used to like 40 years ago, instead of the new stuff that isn't very good."
I find it so funny because it looks like we are due to see a lot of companies consolidate streaming services, (like discovery and HBO for instance). Then packages will be offered for affordability (like the Disney+ bundle) and we are looking at Digital shall we say cable.

i'm sure that will be blamed on Disney not pulling in more of the younger generation though, or nickel and diming everyone
I'm gonna be honest about Disney + here for a second, its not what i thought it was going to be. I think its awesome that all the movies are there, but i was hoping for more behind the scenes stuff, more disney docs, and things like that.

It's a nice have in our house, and it hit at the right time, but if we had to cut things, id cut it before Netflix.

I'm gonna be honest about Disney + here for a second, its not what i thought it was going to be. I think its awesome that all the movies are there, but i was hoping for more behind the scenes stuff, more disney docs, and things like that.

It's a nice have in our house, and it hit at the right time, but if we had to cut things, id cut it before Netflix.
I agree, as a hardo fan i want all the extra content. I don't think Netflix or Disney+ have much to offer currently, but with a young child Netflix would get the ax first

I honestly didn't think it would have such a focus on new content. I figured there might be some, but basically I thorught of it as an archive. It's still incomplete in that regard.

I've enjoyed the Ducktales series. I grew up on Disney comics, and some of the original 80s Ducktales episodes used Carl Barks' stories.

Last edited:
I've enjoyed the Ducktales series. I grew up on Disney comics, and some of the original 80s Ducktales episodes used Carl Bark's stories.
ducktales....one of my favorites growing up, including Rescue Rangers.

one of those disney magic things a few years ago in the Emporium. We collect mugs every time we go, and they had the Rescue Rangers mug, I knew they had the Ducktales one also, cast member saw me looking and came over to help, she went out of her way to go to the back and check if they had more, i know how that normally goes, but was surprised when she brought one out for me.

I left with both the Ducktales and Rescue Rangers mugs, two of my favorite mugs that i've got at disney. The only one better is the EPCOT one i got a few years back, and that's because its so huge.

its the small things, but i love that mug.

Pretty sure my house contributes to a ton of the Bluey consumption.

My kids also watch Bluey from time to time.

My kids also watch Bluey.
just got back from taking the soon to be 11 year old to the dr about 30 minutes ago, the dr mentioned Bluey to him, and neither he or i knew what the doc was talking about.

sometimes i miss those little kid days when Jake and the Neverland Pirates was on non stop in our house.

I agree with this. And, imo, the uncertainty of the future of the entire media universe. Streaming has increased the library of 'content' many, many fold. And that is just that much more competition that new, original content has to compete against. How many tv viewers say to themselves, "let's watch a rerun of an old TV series that we used to like 40 years ago, instead of the new stuff that isn't very good."
I am rewatching Cheers right now with my wife as our nightly little guilty pleasure.

My kids also watch Bluey from time to time.
I don't watch it because I don't have small kids but I've seen clips and it's very cute. I really love the dad. He is super funny and relatable lol

I can see why it's one of the most watched shows on the platform.

Because money is not infinite, and they have to decide how to spend the capital they have.

Disney closing brick-and-mortar stores is not some outlier exception. That is happening nearly everywhere. See: Dying malls, bankrupt chains, and more targeted closures. How often do any of us drive to a store these days vs. just ordering something online?
Consumer Products margin and profit for Disney. Dropping the brick and mortar has made good financial sense.

Margin. …………..2022202120202019201820172016
Consumer Products.0.5320.5030.4490.3970.3690.3610.355

Operating Income…2022202120202019201820172016
Consumer Products2810268421511839162617441965
(Millions)

Last edited:
Disney+ subscription numbers paint a different picture, there are still plenty who find value in Disney, i think streaming itself is causing huge waves in the media marketplace.
Not OP but it seemed to me they were talking about the parks and not necessarily D+. Yes there is some connections between the two but they aren't linked at the hip. You can have increasing interest in one and waning interest in another.

Not OP but it seemed to me they were talking about the parks and not necessarily D+. Yes there is some connections between the two but they aren't linked at the hip. You can have increasing interest in one and waning interest in another.
they were tying the media portion of Dis to bleeding the parks out of money directly. I was attempting to point out that is incorrect

Hmmmm, as you can tell I am no financial wizard, and I am reading with appreciation everyone’s input.

I guess I am just standing outside the circle and thinking to myself- if Disney losing (a lot) of money pretty much everywhere EXCEPT the theme parks, and they are increasing (exponentially) the cost of visiting said parks, making it more difficult to visit the parks, making the parks less ‘magical’ and forcing the burden of cost on fewer people who can afford to go to said parks

Isn’t that a death spiral inwards?

Who cares if there is a new generation out there loving new Disney movies and shows, if in the end money runs out to make new movies and shows? And I think it’s apparent with all these new movie/show platforms losing money, it can be a hungry and endless abyss….

Sometimes the big picture gets lost in the weeds. Sometimes it just takes stepping out the box and looking at the whole picture puts things in a different light. I think there are obvious signs that the strategy being employed by Disney (make more money off fewer people in the theme parks) is a dangerous long term plan. If indeed Disney needs to keep the parks as their golden goose to fund the whole shebang, this is not a good plan, imho.

That’s all I was trying to say.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter