• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Beaches Near Ship

We are going on a cruise with stops in Cozumel, Mexico, George Town, Grand Cayman, and Falmouth, Jamaica (in additions to Castaway Cay). Besides Castaway Cay, are there any beaches near the ship (short/safe walking distance) without buying an excursion?
Cozumel has a number of very nice beach clubs. Some are all inclusive for the day and some are free and only require you to buy food from their menu at some point during the day. Most are a 7 to 15 minute cab ride from the port.

I found this post helpful: https://www.islandlifemexico.com/cozumel-beach-clubs/

We are going on a cruise with stops in Cozumel, Mexico, George Town, Grand Cayman, and Falmouth, Jamaica (in additions to Castaway Cay). Besides Castaway Cay, are there any beaches near the ship (short/safe walking distance) without buying an excursion?
Forget Jamaica, if this is what you're looking for. It's the least safe of the islands you listed- you leave the fenced and guarded tourist area by yourself at your own peril. Cozumel does have beach clubs, but I wouldn't call them walking distance, and they aren't free. You don't need an excursion, though. I booked one independently, then used taxis to get to and from the ship. I thought the beach at Cozumel was less than ideal, but it was okay. I've heard that Grand Cayman has some great beaches, but I've never been there so I can't comment.

This is why Castaway Cay is so popular. You just walk off the ship and onto a safe, beautiful beach.

Last edited:

In Jamaica, has anyone ever done the Hilton Rose Hall? https://hiltonbyplaya.com/rose-hall

It looks like a beach day dream to me.

We have day passes booked that include all you can eat and drink at their multiple restaurants and bars, access to their water park, and of course beach/pool access (along with use of their Hobie CATs). $95 per adult and $70 per child.

In Jamaica, has anyone ever done the Hilton Rose Hall? https://hiltonbyplaya.com/rose-hall

It looks like a beach day dream to me.

We have day passes booked that include all you can eat and drink at their multiple restaurants and bars, access to their water park, and of course beach/pool access (along with use of their Hobie CATs). $95 per adult and $70 per child.
Are the day passes through DCL or on your own? We are on a cruise that stops in Jamaica in April.

Are the day passes through DCL or on your own?
On your own. I called the Hilton Rose Hall directly. Resort for a day also does a package to that hotel that includes transportation, but it's more money.

It's an expensive excursion, but when you include food, alcohol, and that water park, it's attractive to me.

Here's the walking tour that sold me:

Looks like Grand Cayman is a winner. Seven mile beach. I have not been, but read lots of reviews. Bus $2.50 pp or taxi $5 pp. Ten minute drive. Skip loungers (or just share a few). Won’t need an excur$ion.

I keep ending with up with choppy water in a Cozumel. But I feel safe there; routinely walk from the port. I would love to try the “other” side of the island - where the town isn’t. Photos of the beaches there are lovely. You could just pay for transportation. (Was scheduled for Paradise Island last time, but it was cancelled due expectations of weather coming in. Changed to Chankanaab, but no sand beach - there was a rock wall with steps leading into rough water. Even if calm, still the issue of no beach.)

I am also one who won’t go outside the fenced-in port at Falmouth.

Changed to Chankanaab, but no sand beach - there was a rock wall with steps leading into rough water.
@auntlynne did you do Cabana Beach Chankanaab? https://thecabanabeach.com We have one of those Cabana's reserved as of now. At first I was put off by the lack of a "true beach," but the great reviews, the overall look and feel of the place + the great snorkeling won me over.

Would love to hear your experience.

@auntlynne did you do Cabana Beach Chankanaab? https://thecabanabeach.com We have one of those Cabana's reserved as of now. At first I was put off by the lack of a "true beach," but the great reviews, the overall look and feel of the place + the great snorkeling won me over.

Would love to hear your experience.
I don’t remember even hearing about this place. (Possibly opened in December 2021). For years, the same names have come up - Mr Sanchez the most mentioned. I made a split decision to do Chankanaab after I was told the Paradise Beach excursion was cancelled (Feb 2020 cruise).

To get an idea where I am coming from:

We have gone to Cozumel on ~4 cruises. For the most part, I could just punt the Western Caribbean. But I do have some good memories in the area. But I typically find going to Mega to buy Mexican Fresca to be the highlight of this port.

Once, I took the ferry to the Yucatán peninsula for a Tulum excursion. I really enjoy Mayan ruins; this was another enjoyable location. The crossing was rough. Lots of green faces. My niece did her snorkeling qualification one cruise (beach near the ship).

While staying in Cancun, we went down to Playa del Carmen area for Xcaret. That was a fun day of water activities, including an underground River. I have seen it offered as a shore excursion from Cozumel in various cruises.

I believe if I kept exploring, I would find that sweet spot where I would say, ”so this is why you go to Cozumel!” I am not a diver (I think that was the original tourist draw), but I would be interested in El Cielo for snorkeling (Only boat accessible - not from land).

It would also help if I could experience Cozumel without rough seas.

And I don’t want to just stand around in a watering hole (pool) while people drink. (There was a pool like this at Chankanaab). I like to play or swim in a pool. And walk on a beach with compact, clean sand. (I love the walk on Hilton Head.). I love the various bays on St Thomas USVI for playing in the water. St John for snorkeling. And, of course, Castaway Cay, especially the calm, clear, shallow water of Serenity Bay. Water in HI is usually too cold; same in Bermuda in early September. But seeing a sea turtle swim past you is worth the chill.

Chankanaab Park also has a dolphin and sea lion show. Typical, but entertaining. I have enjoyed them at SeaWorld (FL & CA) and sea lions at Fisherman’s Wharf - I am not above these things, despite my years beyond childhood.

I just turned to my usual go-to for travel advice: TripAdvisor. Those who have been to the Cabanas definitely give it a thumbs up. The stairs into the water, and the water itself, look like a nice way to enter the water and snorkel. The beach in this area seems to be man-made, claiming land by shoring up with rocks, then putting clean sand on top. It makes for easy walking around. Just not the damp sand needed for sand castles.

At the Park, there was an area for kids to easily enter the water, over near the dolphin enclosure (I had forgotten about that. This is another of my novellas, so it takes a while and things come to memory as I type.) My overarching memory is sitting at a picnic table, drinking free coke, utilizing my phone access (free in Mexico, thanks Mint Mobile), watching the sea lion show and taking photos of other people in front of the COZ MEL letters. (The only thing missing is U). It was a lovely day, weather wise, while it was getting cold at home.

(I don’t tend to book cabanas, as it’s usually me or me + 1. Makes much more sense with a family. The times we have had cabanas in Castaway Cay, it did up the enjoyment.)

They do mention the Cabanas area as being peaceful - with no loud music nor screaming children. You might be an outlier by bringing your younglings. Sounded like mainly couples. I’m betting yours will be okay.

Last edited:
I don’t remember even hearing about this place. (Possibly opened in December 2021). For years, the same names have come up - Mr Sanchez the most mentioned. I made a split decision to do Chankanaab after I was told the Paradise Beach excursion was cancelled (Feb 2020 cruise).

To get an idea where I am coming from:

We have gone to Cozumel on ~4 cruises. For the most part, I could just punt the Western Caribbean. But I do have some good memories in the area. But I typically find going to Mega to buy Mexican Fresca to be the highlight of this port.

Once, I took the ferry to the Yucatán peninsula for a Tulum excursion. I really enjoy Mayan ruins; this was another enjoyable location. The crossing was rough. Lots of green faces. My niece did her snorkeling qualification one cruise (beach near the ship).

While staying in Cancun, we went down to Playa del Carmen area for Xcaret. That was a fun day of water activities, including an underground River. I have seen it offered as a shore excursion from Cozumel in various cruises.

I believe if I kept exploring, I would find that sweet spot where I would say, ”so this is why you go to Cozumel!” I am not a diver (I think that was the original tourist draw), but I would be interested in El Cielo for snorkeling (Only boat accessible - not from land).

It would also help if I could experience Cozumel without rough seas.

And I don’t want to just stand around in a watering hole (pool) while people drink. (There was a pool like this at Chankanaab). I like to play or swim in a pool. And walk on a beach with compact, clean sand. (I love the walk on Hilton Head.). I love the various bays on St Thomas USVI for playing in the water. St John for snorkeling. And, of course, Castaway Cay, especially the calm, clear, shallow water of Serenity Bay. Water in HI is usually too cold; same in Bermuda in early September. But seeing a sea turtle swim past you is worth the chill.

Chankanaab Park also has a dolphin and sea lion show. Typical, but entertaining. I have enjoyed them at SeaWorld (FL & CA) and sea lions at Fisherman’s Wharf - I am not above these things, despite my years beyond childhood.

I just turned to my usual go-to for travel advice: TripAdvisor. Those who have been to the Cabanas definitely give it a thumbs up. The stairs into the water, and the water itself, look like a nice way to enter the water and snorkel. The beach in this area seems to be man-made, claiming land by shoring up with rocks, then putting clean sand on top. It makes for easy walking around. Just not the damp sand needed for sand castles.

At the Park, there was an area for kids to easily enter the water, over near the dolphin enclosure (I had forgotten about that. This is another of my novellas, so it takes a while and things come to memory as I type.) My overarching memory is sitting at a picnic table, drinking free coke, utilizing my phone access (free in Mexico, thanks Mint Mobile), watching the sea lion show and taking photos of other people in front of the COZ MEL letters. (The only thing missing is U). It was a lovely day, weather wise, while it was getting cold at home.

(I don’t tend to book cabanas, as it’s usually me or me + 1. Makes much more sense with a family. The times we have had cabanas in Castaway Cay, it did up the enjoyment.)

They do mention the Cabanas area as being peaceful - with no loud music nor screaming children. You might be an outlier by bringing your younglings. Sounded like mainly couples. I’m betting yours will be okay.
Thanks for your novella, @auntlynne. Seriously. Helpful.

On your own. I called the Hilton Rose Hall directly. Resort for a day also does a package to that hotel that includes transportation, but it's more money.

It's an expensive excursion, but when you include food, alcohol, and that water park, it's attractive to me.

Here's the walking tour that sold me:

Did you end up doing this? If so would love to hear what you thought. We are considering this for our May cruise on Fantasy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter