• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Beach recommendation anyone?

mantismad

Mouseketeer
Can I have your recommendations for a beautiful beach front location split stay October 2012. I am thinking of staying 1 week at Bay Lake Tower then driving down for a weeks stay mid Oct on the beach and then driving back to Beach Club for a further week before flying out of Orlando international. If beach suggestions are quite a drive (i.e Miami) then they are still welcome as we can do 2 weeks in one hit at Disney and then the 1 week at the end of holiday on the beach and fly home from Miami.

Can I have your recommendations for a beautiful beach front location split stay October 2012. I am thinking of staying 1 week at Bay Lake Tower then driving down for a weeks stay mid Oct on the beach and then driving back to Beach Club for a further week before flying out of Orlando international. If beach suggestions are quite a drive (i.e Miami) then they are still welcome as we can do 2 weeks in one hit at Disney and then the 1 week at the end of holiday on the beach and fly home from Miami.

there are people on the board who are familiar with the various beaches...
they probably haven't responded as maybe they're away on holiday..

unfortunately, i know nothing about the beaches in florida...

i think i remember people mentioning st. petersburg on the gulf coast, but i might be wrong...

on the atlantic side, the disney vacation club has a resort at Vero Beach - that might an interesting place to check...

Thank you Beth, I to thought maybe St Petersburg or Clearwater on the Gulf coast. When at WDW in 2009 we did drive down for the day just to look around Vero Beach resort and was glad we did this before booking a holiday there as for us it was not as nice as we had hoped. As you say maybe I will get some responses when people are back from their holidays.

For me it would always be Gulf coast side.

Have not stayed there but have spend several "single" days there and loved it.

Have done Clearwater - the obvious place! - and eaten in a little place in Indian Rocks Beach about a 20 min drive away.

Would love to do 3/4 days in Sarasota one time.

The water is MUCH warmer than the atlantic coast and you will get the sunsets also :thumbsup2

We have also done Daytona and Cocoa Beach. Daytona was nice but didnt like Cocoa Beach at all - very dirty facilities and the place seemed very uncared for :rolleyes:

Katie x

For me it would always be Gulf coast side.

Have not stayed there but have spend several "single" days there and loved it.

Have done Clearwater - the obvious place! - and eaten in a little place in Indian Rocks Beach about a 20 min drive away.

Would love to do 3/4 days in Sarasota one time.

The water is MUCH warmer than the atlantic coast and you will get the sunsets also :thumbsup2

We have also done Daytona and Cocoa Beach. Daytona was nice but didnt like Cocoa Beach at all - very dirty facilities and the place seemed very uncared for :rolleyes:

Katie x

Thanks Katie, warmer and calmer water is always better for us so it sounds like the Gulf coast is definately more suitable for us :)

No, we have been 3 times and I've always driven. It takes about 2 1/2 hours but we have always had a lovely day.

Glad someone has recommended Anna Maria - lovely place.

There are no high rise buildings, chain restaurants - would love to stay a few days there. There is a trolley (free) to get round on.

After lots of research we are staying at Anna Maria Island, sounds like it is everything we want and possibly you?

Have you considered Sanibel or Captiva? Two islands that are very relaxing. No high rise hotels, just lovely beaches along with excellent restaurants.

Have a look here: http://www.kevinstringer.co.uk/june 2004 trip/day3.htm This shows some of the things we got up to on our last visit.

Kev

Thanks Kev it certainly looks lovely where you stayed, I had not considered Sanibel or Captiva as really only just started to think about adding on a few days at a beach somewhere so open to all ideas of best beaches so will check out both of these places.

After lots of research we are staying at Anna Maria Island, sounds like it is everything we want and possibly you?

The island certainly looks beautiful, I hope you have a wonderful time. I would love to hear how your holiday goes and especially your choice of accommodation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter