• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Beach Club or Boardwalk?

Terri Hogan

Earning My Ears
My adult daughter and I stayed at the Beach Club in 2019 and loved it...especially the proximity to Epcot. We planned a return trip in March 2020, which was cancelled due to Covid. We've rescheduled that trip four times because we weren't comfortable traveling, and are now scheduled to go in September. (We're feeling confident this time, since we are vaccinated!) I keep checking the website, hoping a better deal will pop up. I see today that Boardwalk is now available for a pretty comparable price. Should we switch, just to try something new? Are there any advantages/disadvantages compared to Beach Club? Stormalong Bay isn't that important to us...while we did use it basically to float on the lazy river, it was always very chaotic!

I love both, and don't think you can go wrong with either. BW is my favorite resort on property. I love the theme-ing, and coming back at night from the parks to the fun activities (pre-COVID) on the Boardwalk. I feel like BW has lots of little tucked away areas to sit & relax (if that's what you're looking for). Pool isn't a big draw for us either as we always use the quiet pool.

I say if you're tempted to try something new then go for it.

If the pool isn’t a huge draw for you, I think it’s definitely worth it to try BW. That’s what we’re doing too lol.

Last trip we tried BC and loved it. Next trip we’re going this Sept and staying BWV for the first time. One thing I prefer at Boardwalk is being more in the middle of EP and HS so neither walk feels too far for ropedrop.

I am always gonna say Yacht or Beach Club. Obviously the location for it and Boardwalk are super similar.....but the pool!!!! That's worth it. I cant help but swim when I stay there, and I never swim at any of the other pools

My adult daughter and I stayed at the Beach Club in 2019 and loved it...especially the proximity to Epcot. We planned a return trip in March 2020, which was cancelled due to Covid. We've rescheduled that trip four times because we weren't comfortable traveling, and are now scheduled to go in September. (We're feeling confident this time, since we are vaccinated!) I keep checking the website, hoping a better deal will pop up. I see today that Boardwalk is now available for a pretty comparable price. Should we switch, just to try something new? Are there any advantages/disadvantages compared to Beach Club? Stormalong Bay isn't that important to us...while we did use it basically to float on the lazy river, it was always very chaotic!
As you note, Stormalong Bay is pretty chaotic! We prefer the less hectic pools at the Boardwalk.

If SB is not your thing, then the BW and BC offer similar advantages. The BW is a bit closer to DHS and a noticeably shorter walk. BC is closer to Epcot, but the walk to BW is only 2-3 minutes more.

If you really loved BC, then go with what you love.

We prefer changing things up and rarely (never) stay at the same hotel twice in a row. Staying at a new hotel for the first time can be a lot more exciting than one you are familiar with.

My family prefers Beach Club, but we're more of a quiet bunch! Boardwalk is great, and we love visiting it, but we think Beach Club is a better room and hotel layout (BW rooms seem more spread out). Although the smaller BW pool was very nice.

Before I read your post I was going to say to stay because of storm along bay, but if you don’t care about the pool, I’d say change if you like to try new things and stay if you don’t. I always like trying new Disney hotels - I’ve done all but 1 now (fort wilderness). I liked the Boardwalk in general, but I did not care for the lack of food options. We stayed club level there once and that was amazing (and $$$$).

I would keep your reservation at BC. I actually prefer the BWI pool, but that's where my preferences end. With BC, I like the proximity to EP and the Skyliner. I like that I have indoor access to QS and TS both at BC and YC (with a quick, covered, outdoor walk to YC). Trying to get food at BWI when it is raining is a massive pain. I also think BC tends to be quieter than BWI. We have had numerous noise and maintenance issues at BWI to the point that I will only stay at BWV if we stay there at all.

We love both resorts. When we first started visiting the world, BWI was not up and running. We got to watch it transform into this awesome place to stay from the BC. Once we got hooked on CL at the BWI we always stayed there. Then prices were starting to skyrocket and depending on who had the better room discount at the time, we stayed there. We love the theming for both. We like both quiet pools. The walk to Epcot is much shorter from the BC. The walk to HS is shorted from the BWI. BWI has better balconies. Whatever you decide, you won't be disappointed. We are finally heading back to the BC May 30th and it cannot come soon enough.

I love all the Epcot resorts (YC is my fav) but tend to stay at whichever one is less (lately that's Swan/Dolphin).

If I had to rate them (just the Disney owned ones):
YC #1 - I love the adult vibe as I don't have little ones any more and like that 99% of the rooms have either a balcony or a patio. We haven't used SAB in years, we use the quiet pools as I just don't like how crowded SAB is.

BW #2 - It's a little less formal feeling than YC, I love sitting out on the covered porch and looking out onto the BW in the morning with a cup of coffee. 99% of the rooms have either a balcony of patio. During normal times the little bar there can't be beat, just so friendly feeling. Those hallways do indeed feel REDRUM like. Again, we tend to use the quiet pools more than the main one.

BC #3 - It feels much more busy to me and seems more kid friendly, as I don't have a little one I'm old and grumpy when around ones who are running around and screaming. I don't like that if you luck up and get a room with a balcony it's just one of those little stand on ones, I like to sit on the balcony and enjoy the place. Again, not a fan of SAB but the quiet pool is nice.

Dolphin/Swan are in a category of their own.
Cons: They are not owned by Disney so don't share some of the perks. You can't charge back to the room (not an issue to me as I don't do that even when staying at Disney owned resorts). You have to have a room key instead of using your MB. Currently they are using Mears buses instead of Disney ones (no one knows if this will continue) which means they have to use the car lanes and have to drop you off where other shuttles and Uber type rides do. At MK that means TTC. They are not in your face Disney theming but more adult convention type (another no big deal for me as I'm not really a fan of the in your face). You are most likely not going to get a balcony at Dolphin unless you pay extra for it and they are pretty small. I think Swan has more of them. They charge a silly resort fee that really should just be incorporated in the regular price.

Pros: You get an almost deluxe resort within walking distance to two parks for the cost of a Disney moderate. They have a great pool at Dolphin and a nice lap pool at Swan, both of which are shared by both resorts. They have a lot of food options, I almost like The Fountain at Dolphin better than Beaches and Cream. The rooms are pretty good sized. During normal times you can send packages back to the resort from the parks. I've always been able to find parking in their lots (it can be hard at YC/BC and at times near to impossible at BW) as I drive down that's important. They share the boats between HS and Epcot with the Disney owned resorts.

If you are going for the pool it’s BC hands down. If not YC we liked allot and you get boat to HS and the Skyliner also. Beaches and Cream is also a plus.

I have it on good authority that those super long Boardwalk hallways look like this late at night... :scared:

View attachment 570949
....actually, they look more like THIS:

enhance

We stayed in 2 different 1BR villas this past week (just got home late Tuesday night!) and these were our views:

enhance

enhance

enhance

....honestly, we've stayed at both and you can't go wrong with either choice....

Beach Club definitely has the edge with Stormalong Bay, but if that's a non factor Boardwalk is a great place to stay. The only deficiency that BWV has is the lack of a good quick service and the elevators can sometimes take forever. (especially compounded with the current distancing environment) I also have issues with the beds being too soft there, it's the only resort that I would rather sleep on the hard sofa than the actual bed.

The last time we stayed at BWV we literally had the closest room to HS, it was a trek to get to the room from the lobby but it ended up great as there was an access point that is basically across from the bus stop at that end of the building and another one that dropped you right on the walking path to HS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter