• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Beach Club or Boardwalk with Stormalong Closed

bookgirl2632

DIS Veteran
Looking for some feedback. I’m hoping to rent DVC points for either Boardwalk or Beach Club next year the last week of April or first week of May. I am aware that Stormalong will be closed. For that reason, I’m leaning toward Boardwalk. However, how bad will it be over at Beach Club? I know there are 3 other smaller pools and I’d be okay with this. But if those pools are going to be crazy busy, it gives me pause. I am also worried about how busy and more in demand Boardwalk will be because of the closure.

We stayed at Poly on our last trip and loved it, but I much prefer the Epcot area resorts, especially since we will be doing Flower & Garden for the first time.

My vote is for BW! It's one of our favorite resorts. Our travel party is 2 adults. BC is one of our least favorite resorts & I think it's because we moved from GDT CL to BC. We were there in October & it had been hot the entire stay until we moved over to BC. A cold front came through & we weren't able to take advantage of SAB.

Do you have kids traveling with you? If you do, they'll likely want a more 'fun' pool with a slide and the other pools at Beach Club are pretty boring. However, Beach Club is my fav for location and theming, so this wouldnt be a deal breaker for me if there werent kids around.

We tend to rotate between BW and BC and YC, so id likely opt for Board Walk on this next trip for you.

Do you have kids traveling with you? If you do, they'll likely want a more 'fun' pool with a slide and the other pools at Beach Club are pretty boring. However, Beach Club is my fav for location and theming, so this wouldnt be a deal breaker for me if there werent kids around.

We tend to rotate between BW and BC and YC, so id likely opt for Board Walk on this next trip for you.
No kids, just Disney adults. 😀 we’ve stayed previously at Yacht Club and loved it. Looking at the BC Studios on YouTube, they are looking a little plain to me, so I am really leaning towards Boardwalk. We’ve never stayed there, so a new resort would be fun. Of course, since I’m renting DVC points, I may end up with BC anyway, which I wouldn’t be mad at, even without Stormalong.

No kids, just Disney adults. 😀 we’ve stayed previously at Yacht Club and loved it. Looking at the BC Studios on YouTube, they are looking a little plain to me, so I am really leaning towards Boardwalk. We’ve never stayed there, so a new resort would be fun. Of course, since I’m renting DVC points, I may end up with BC anyway, which I wouldn’t be mad at, even without Stormalong.
Love me some Yacht Club for an adults only - but I dont think you can go wrong with any of the EPCOT resort area options. I wonder if they'll drop some serious discounts for BC with the pool being closed??

I expect the pools to be crazy at BC. I wouldn’t be worried about BWI being crazy because in genera Disney runs their hotels at very high capacity so the hotel is set up for that.

If you can’t get the points deal you want maybe consider Swolphin.

No announcement, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they give BC/YC guests admission to BW pool to compensate for Stormalong Bay closure. They did this in reverse when BW pool went through a big renovation a few years ago. So I’m not sure the pool situation would be a deciding factor for me though personally I’ve always had a fondness for BW even with the clown slide… which of course lives only now in memory!

By the way, not sure what pics you were looking at online, but BCV just completed a complete renovation. Looking forward to seeing first hand next month!

No announcement, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they give BC/YC guests admission to BW pool to compensate for Stormalong Bay closure. They did this in reverse when BW pool went through a big renovation a few years ago. So I’m not sure the pool situation would be a deciding factor for me though personally I’ve always had a fondness for BW even with the clown slide… which of course lives only now in memory!

By the way, not sure what pics you were looking at online, but BCV just completed a complete renovation. Looking forward to seeing first hand next month!
SAME! 32 days to go for us!

No announcement, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they give BC/YC guests admission to BW pool to compensate for Stormalong Bay closure. They did this in reverse when BW pool went through a big renovation a few years ago.
They did it many years ago & let guests use the BW pool when SAB was closed also. However, I think it was before BC Villas was built. I really do not think they’re going to do it again. There is a reason they made the announcement over a year before the closure, well before anyone could even book these resorts for that time frame. So no one will have reason to complain about not having the feature pool available. You know that SAB is closed before you book, so no accommodations will be made. The notice on the YC, BC & BCV pages state clearly…. Guests are welcome to use the 3 leisure (quiet) pools. There’s no way the BW pool can accommodate guests from 3 more hotels. It would be grossly unfair to guests booked at BWI & Villas. To book those resorts & then have to compete with guests from 3 other resorts for pool & lounge space with no warning. I would be furious if I found myself in that situation.

No announcement, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they give BC/YC guests admission to BW pool to compensate for Stormalong Bay closure. They did this in reverse when BW pool went through a big renovation a few years ago.
It would be very surprising for them to do that now. Yes, it was done in the past. But as @focusondisney mentioned, that was when they did not give over a year notice like they have been doing more recently. Back then, they probably had 85% of the rooms already booked when they would then announce major pool renovations angering all those guests. They have learned their lesson and now make such announcements before the closure dates can even be booked.

Even if stormalong was open I’d still pick BWV. The lazy river is tiny. The slide you have to go across the main sidewalk in front of pedestrians walking around the lake, and the kiddie sand pool is NASTY.

They did it many years ago & let guests use the BW pool when SAB was closed also. However, I think it was before BC Villas was built. I really do not think they’re going to do it again. There is a reason they made the announcement over a year before the closure, well before anyone could even book these resorts for that time frame. So no one will have reason to complain about not having the feature pool available. You know that SAB is closed before you book, so no accommodations will be made. The notice on the YC, BC & BCV pages state clearly…. Guests are welcome to use the 3 leisure (quiet) pools. There’s no way the BW pool can accommodate guests from 3 more hotels. It would be grossly unfair to guests booked at BWI & Villas. To book those resorts & then have to compete with guests from 3 other resorts for pool & lounge space with no warning. I would be furious if I found myself in that situation.

It would be very surprising for them to do that now. Yes, it was done in the past. But as @focusondisney mentioned, that was when they did not give over a year notice like they have been doing more recently. Back then, they probably had 85% of the rooms already booked when they would then announce major pool renovations angering all those guests. They have learned their lesson and now make such announcements before the closure dates can even be booked.
Makes sense, for sure. SAB is so much bigger the overflow from BW didn't cause the crowding that would occur if they did the reverse. I already find the BW pool crowded when it gets busy so wouldn’t want any additional guests.

Since next year they will be giving onsite guests free water park tickets on check in day… might be nice to offer additional day to BC/YC guests or at least at a discount. Goodwill gesture that costs very little.

Pools aside, I generally prefer BW overall but I’m really looking forward to seeing the refurb at BCV.

If pool plans were any part of my trip other than a brief dip, I would stay away from the YC, BC, BCV during the Stormalong bay reno. If you just separate out YC to the Admiral pool it will be packed. BCV to the Dunes cove pool it will be packed and the BC to the Tidal pool it will be packed. These are relatively small pools with zero amenities and limited seating.

Thank you to everyone who has chimed in. I truly appreciate the input. I think I’m going to go with my first instinct and try to rent DVC points at BWV. I have always wanted to stay at Boardwalk, so hopefully, I can make this happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter