Be sure to eat this when visiting Honolulu.

WillGan

Local to Hawai'i & Loyal to Aulani
Spam Musubi. Typically, any store is good but 7-11 has a reputation as being the best! 🤷🏽‍♂️

The last time we visited before the pandemic we saw so many varieties of SPAM in one store that I had to take a picture. I think it was in Long's drugstore. So much Spam! Of course I can't find the picture now.

Spam Musubi. Typically, any store is good but 7-11 has a reputation as being the best! 🤷🏽‍♂️
It's so good. I dream about that stuff.

Zippy's, Giovanni's shrimp truck, Rainbow's drive in, and of course- shave ice
I love the shrimp at Giovanni's but they need to clean up that whole food truck area. The flies are EVERYWHERE and it's kind of disgusting.

I'll also add Huli Huli chicken to the list.

Shave ice at Kokonuts in the Koko Marina, or Waiola Shave Ice near Waikiki

Malasadas from Leonard’s (seriously… only Leonard’s)

Spam musubi - there are sooooo many good places - 7-11’s can be overly salty though, the coloring shouldn’t be too dark, otherwise it was over soaked in the marinade

Local food from Helena’s (budget), Waiahole Poi Factory or MW Restaurant ($$$)

Poke, spam musubi and other picnic fare from Tanioka’s

Plate lunch from L&L Drive in - especially the Chicken Katsu - Rainbow Drive In hasn’t been very good in years

Last edited:

I love Spam musubi!! A couple of mornings there I walked across the street to the ABC Store and got some spam musubi there. compared to the one they have at Ulu Cafe, they’re twice the size, half the price, come hot, sometimes with egg… but of course they’re not as cute or instagramable as the Mickey shaped ones 😆

I second the POG juice! They didn’t sell it at ABC across the street but we got a couple gallons for our stay at Costco. Get a couple of bottles of Costco champagne too and a it makes a wonderful POG mimosa. I bought all the tools to make spam musubi at home, it’s on my plan to make this week. I have a gluten allergy so I couldn’t try it when we were in Hawaii because they use regular soy sauce made with wheat. 🤞 it turns out good.

POG juice! We buy it by the gallon when we are there. 4 adults get thirsty!

I second the POG juice! They didn’t sell it at ABC across the street but we got a couple gallons for our stay at Costco. Get a couple of bottles of Costco champagne too and a it makes a wonderful POG mimosa. I bought all the tools to make spam musubi at home, it’s on my plan to make this week. I have a gluten allergy so I couldn’t try it when we were in Hawaii because they use regular soy sauce made with wheat. 🤞 it turns out good.
Is the "real" POG juice back? I know the company that made it went bankrupt, then they were bought and sold a few times.

(FWIW, you can also get POG at Animal Kingdom Lodge and the Polynesian at WDW.)

Spam Musubi...I'm bummed Aulani stopped selling these
Malasadas
Seven Brothers on the North Shore...best burger I've ever had!

fucacci - dried seaweed flakes shaken over poke bowls.

-Paul
My daughter loves sprinkling it over her rice, and it’s great on popcorn (Hurricane Popcorn is a local specialty - we always bring back a few boxes from Longs).

It’s actually spelled furikake (to help others find it) and you can find it in pretty much any Asian market - especially Japanese markets. It comes in many different flavors - always with seaweed, and usually with sesame seeds, and bonito flakes.

Spam Musubi...I'm bummed Aulani stopped selling these
Malasadas
Seven Brothers on the North Shore...best burger I've ever had!
Seven Brothers for sure,,,,hidden in a tiny strip mall,,,but when the locals rave about it you know its good. But be warned,,,3 burgers and fries is enough for 4 or 5 people.

Chantilly cream puff from Liliha Bakery. They are famous for their coco puff, but the Chantilly is to die for. They also have green tea puffs, so you do you and take your pick!

Leonard’s Malasadas

Big Wave Shrimp - North shore - Lemon Pepper, even better than garlic butter per fam who tried both

Shave Ice outside of Aulani with all the fixins - condensed milk and ice cream (per my family since I'm lactose intolerant)

Makahiki Loco Moko - order it Hawaiian Style with the fried eggs instead of poached

Wailana Coffee bar - Aulani Special blended drink

Korean BBQ

Kalua pork is not created equal everywhere but was tasty pulled in a sammie and falling off the bone

Monkeypods Vegan Corn Chowder was incredible! And much appreciated!

The Cookie Corner - Liliko’i Bars (Passionfruit and shortbread cookie bars): Sooo amazingly tasty - like a homemade bar or pastry! Yes Honolulu CC is good, but not amazing and its all i heard about in this arena…. I wish someone had pointed this Cookie Corner place out to us before our first trip in July. I only had them after the trip - last weekend by meeting a fellow new UND mom who is from Hawaii during college move in of our sons! We struck up conversation and she said they lived in Kapolei, Hawaii near Aulani when she saw my Aloha shirt and we began talking and I raved about our recent trip! Small world!?! To think we would meet and I would try these delicious creations in North Dakota of all places! The next morning, she generously brought me a bag of the Liliko’i Cookie Bars she had along. And we all LOVE them! There are 14 stores in Oahu! Run - don’t walk as Pete would say 😋😌 Hidden (or maybe not so hidden) Gem! Perhaps just hidden from DISboard tourists!

https://www.cookiecorner.com/

Barefoot beach Cafe at the park on Waikiki is not good - drinks and smoothies were good and scenery is lovely but food was not good for any of us.

Last edited:
Is the "real" POG juice back? I know the company that made it went bankrupt, then they were bought and sold a few times.

(FWIW, you can also get POG at Animal Kingdom Lodge and the Polynesian at WDW.)

Yes it’s the real pog juice

So I saw this at ABC and really regret not trying it out… just not a big hard seltzer fan but super curious! I love POG juice straight up and also in a cocktail or in Taffey 😂

88EC9CFE-15F0-4D3D-B43E-C076F2DA2E38.jpeg

When I lived there the big rage was Cracked Seed of pretty much any kind but plum was the most popular. I was never a fan myself. Just couldn't do the licorice flavor.

Shave Ice with Azuki Beans. I did not think I would like it but I really did.

Zippy's Bento Box, with spam of course

While you are at Giovanni's, go get some Kalbi from Honos for a great surf and turf.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter