BDR's Maiden Voyage Massacre!!!

BDR,

Don't worry man we all have been there, well maybe not unhicking on twice on the road. :cool1:

Just one question...

where was the cart? :confused3

congrats Rog. All in all it doesn't sound like a bad trip. You'll figure out all the best ways to do things. I know you'll love it...Oh,,and you look good man, keep it up..

Safe and sound in my garage!!! LA State Parks wont let ya use golf carts on their property.

We're heading out again today to Bayou Segnette State Park for a quick couple of days.....hopefully I'll remember all my recently learned lessons and this trip wont be worth reporting on!!! No news is good news. I know many of you guys get a kick out of my sitcom style mis-adventures...but Im due for a nice boring trip with no follies to have to admit to!! We're bringing the grandson this time....so chances are there will be something terrible to report on come Wednesday!! Jeeez, I hope I can bring him back in one piece!!!

Mornin Mike......thanks man.We're learning! Ya see....ya CAN teach the old dog a new trick every once in a while:)

like the new camper Rog! and your family looks happy to be there...sorry to hear your woes of first time camping in the new digs but you sure gave a great report!!! you always make me smile...I remember my first camper I bought used and decided to take it to Natchitoches La. I had 4 flat tires...one at a time...took me 2 days and a head hair to make it there....no one told me I needed anti sway bars....totaled it on a back road...took the freaking state troopers 4 hours to get there and the tow truck wouldn't take the camper away til they came...and they gave me a ticket although NO ONE was involved in the wreck...I was going 35 so NOT speeding...but they said if there is a wreck they have to give some type of ticket!!!!!...straight line winds got me on a hill...not my fault!!!!! sheesh!...anyway have lots of camping fun in the future...and try b-9 skeeters can't stand the way you smell when you take that stuff!!!

Sounds like a GREAT trip!! You made it home without major damage to anything, and learned a lot about doing it better next time!!

Curious, did you get the water dripping situation fixed??

Heading out again already??!! Wow, I guess working in the entertainment industry does have it's advantages some times, working weekends, off some during the week!!

First off, I LMAO,:lmao: secondly, I'm glad you guys know enough about camping to not have let this first trip dampen your enthusiasm. You do look thin Rog, way to go.

Hope round 2 with the Dear GS goes much smoother. :goodvibes

Wow :eek:... Rog..that's some first trip.
I thought we were the only ones who had adventures like that. Our first trip included a trip to ER, when we thought my then 9 year old son broke his neck. I will say people start moving fast, when they think there's a child with spinal injuries. He walked out two hours later, with a neck brace and motrin.:rolleyes1 Then when we broke camp to leave...it poured:umbrella:...I mean like the heavens opened up. Insult to injury..it followed us ALL THE WAY HOME. Bob was drenched when he got in the truck..but I got in first and gave the kids the "big eyes"..which is mother speak for "talk and your dead"...or in this case.."your father will kill you,pirate: so act as if this was the best time of your life and you freakin' love being soaked to the skin." Insult to injury..the rain followed us all the way home. A three hour trip on I95 with road work the entire way. You couldn't put a hair between the trailer and the cement wall barricades. Oh..and the dog:dog: came back with a tick on his ear from the adventure.

I guess every camper has these types of experiences. Either that or they're VERY good liars if they say they haven't. ;)

I think it's why people who camp enjoyed the movie RV..while it really was kind of a flop. We have a whole other appreciation for those type of mishaps. :lmao:

Do you have a sewer connection Rog...:confused3 Just wait until you've been "baptized"....:laughing:

At least you didin't see that camper passing you on the highway that looks just like yours!:thumbsup2

Wow :eek:... Rog..that's some first trip.
I thought we were the only ones who had adventures like that. Our first trip included a trip to ER, when we thought my then 9 year old son broke his neck. I will say people start moving fast, when they think there's a child with spinal injuries. He walked out two hours later, with a neck brace and motrin.:rolleyes1

We actually spent the day at the ER yesterday! Kenzi, my 6 yr old fell and we thought she broker her arm.They took 10 xrays,but said they couldnt be sure if their was a break or not, but if it was,it wasnt too bad because it wasnt showing up. Ace bandaged her and we were back at the camp after a couple of hours!
Then when we broke camp to leave...it poured:umbrella:...I mean like the heavens opened up. Insult to injury..it followed us ALL THE WAY HOME. Bob was drenched when he got in the truck..but I got in first and gave the kids the "big eyes"..which is mother speak for "talk and your dead"I KNOW those eyes...Gina gives that same warning to ours when Im having Rog moments!!...or in this case.."your father will kill you,pirate: so act as if this was the best time of your life and you freakin' love being soaked to the skin." :lmao: This is SO exactly us!!Insult to injury..the rain followed us all the way home. A three hour trip on I95 with road work the entire way. You couldn't put a hair between the trailer and the cement wall barricades Those little cement walls make me nervous as all heck!!. Oh..and the dog:dog: came back with a tick on his ear from the adventure.

I guess every camper has these types of experiences. Either that or they're VERY good liars if they say they haven't. ;)

I think it's why people who camp enjoyed the movie RV..while it really was kind of a flop. We have a whole other appreciation for those type of mishaps. :lmao:

Do you have a sewer connection Rog...:confused3 Just wait until you've been "baptized"....:laughing:
No...this camper doesnt have a sewerage hose,no potty. We have a sink...but Ive never hooked water up to it yet...probably never will. And if the sewer scene is inevitable for every rv owner...I DONT WANT IT!!!!!:scared:

We're here at Bayou Segnette...they actually have wirless internet, and thats a nice little bonus that I wasnt expecting. This trip has been pretty calm,except for the trip to the ER...which, to be honest....I was excited about! Just to have something to do....this park BLOWS! Its not very big,the pool was closed yesterday(Monday), the fishing sucks unless you have a boat, the nature trails are basicly a walk through some really tall weeds. And of the 50 or so campsites.......about 3 of them have some shade for a small portion of the day!!! The heat index is 106, its just been too hot to leave the camper!! My oldest daughter has already taken the grandson back home....he was going NUTS stuck in this little pop-up, poor little guy!!! I have to say tough...the sunset yesterday was like a religious experience.It was beautiful and every color in the 64 box of crayons was present in the sky. It was a nice conclusion to a hot boring day.

Today the pool is open...so we will spend most of our time getting skin cancer there instead of the ER. And Im sure I'll throw a line into some puddle of water again...last night as the sun was going down and the gators were starting to stir, I saw several really large garfish surface and splash around some. I mean REALLY LARGE, like 4-5 feet!!! No one eats gar in my family, and they have usually refused to bite on anything I ever use as bait...but today could be a different kinda day! We'll see.

I hate to kick you while you are in the learning process but I noted a buildup of black brake dust on the front wheels of that nice new Ford, you need to get on that soon.........:lmao:

After finding out that others have had some flippin' hilarious "first time" out stories, (BDR, I laughed until I cried) I just gotta share a little romantic excursion the hubby and I took our first time out alone.

First of all, we had a redneck timeshare. For those of you that don't know what that is; it goes like this:

Wife: "Babycakes, those big fancy motorhomes sure are purdy!"
Hubby: "They sure are Peaches but them is pricey."

Hubby to Father: "Me and Peaches sure would like one of them big fancy motorhomes."
Father: "Me and Mama been thinkin' on it too!"
Hubby to Father: "But them is pricey."

Father to Hubby's Brother: "Your brother and I have lookin' at them big fancy motorhomes, but your brother thinks them too pricey"
Brother: "Heck, Pop, I'd like one too!"
Father: "Well, a third of one of them big fancy motorhomes ain't too pricey
!"

So, you get yourself a calendar and everyone writes down their "reservations" and the redneck timeshare is born! (yeah, we've since had kids and needed more room than the "timeshare" allowed so we've moved on to a TT of our own but we started our love affair with camping the hard way)

Anywho, Dh and I decided that a nice romantic weekend was in order. I was just about 6 weeks pregnant with our first and we were ready to spend the weekend in the great outdoors. Wanting to try someplace new, we consult the Woodalls and lo and behold we find the "Tri Lakes Campground and RV Resort". We pack up the MH on a Friday evening and hit the road.

We arrive at our "resort" about 8:30 on a summers eve and I have just enough daylight left to be concerned. I'm not sure if it was the jeep with tractor tires that ran us off the road coming in or dog droppings I stepped over to get to the check in desk, but something just seemed to say that calling this place a "resort" could be a little like calling the local jail "the county's hospitality facitlity".

But, it was late and we had high hopes of fishing in one of the "tri lakes" the next day so we pulled into a campsite, hooked up and decided to watch a movie and just get some sleep. Just snuggling up to the DH, I here a loud "pop" and a dog starts barking like crazy. I raise up and peak out the back window looking in the general direction of the barking. I see nothing, no dog and no explanation for the "pop". :confused3 I slide back down in bed. "POP"! I look again. I then realize why I couldn't find the dog. Appearently, at the "Tri Lakes Resort", dogs live in luxury and I had not looked high enough for the dog because I did find him. Chained up just two campsites down and one back from ours. Chained to a couch..... and the couch was conveniently placed on top of their picnic table. The loud pop I was hearing was their travel trailer door. Being slammed. Regularly. By both the male and female occupants. See, everytime you finish your beer at the "Tri Lakes Resort" it's customary bang open your door and toss your beer can into the back of your truck. It's preferrable to do this while screaming obscenties at your wife but we would soon learn that it's acceptable to scream obscenties at whoever is there when you've drained your beer. We figured this out at about 2:00 AM when the wife of neighbor appearently called the police on her Romeo and he began to shout obscenties at them and received a complimentary ride to become a resident at the county's hospitality center!

Ahh, peace at last. VROOOOOOOOM! And we look again. Well, lookee here! The owner of jeep with no tags and the tractor tires has decided to comfort the wife of our neighbor:rolleyes1

When we get up the next morning, we noticed that all but about 6 of the campsites (and ours is one of them) has the travel trailer on cinder blocks and the tires have all been appearently sold for beer money. (Come on, I totally get selling the spare for beer money, but not the ones you actually need to move your TT) The Tri lakes turn out to be the 3 puddles, two actually contained water. So, no fishing, no neighbors, and lacking the neccessary tractor tires and canine condo to join the locals, we decided to move on.

Now you might think this would be the end the tale but do you remember at the beginning of this post when I mentioned I was pregnant? Yep! So, after a hearty breakfast of a banana and a very LARGE glass of cranberry juice, we decide to hit the very long and very very windy road to another campground. Mind you I try to hold on to my breakfast but between the baby in my belly and motion sickness it seriously starts to think of revisiting. Eventually, I have to ask hubby to pull over and he finds the first place. A church parking lot. But not just any church parking lot; a very nice Seventh Day Adventist church parking lot. Now, it's Saturday morning and who can tell me where practicing Seventh Day Adventist are? ... Yes? ... Yes? You in the back?...

That's Right! They are in church! And just as they emerge they see a woman, fresh from a night in hell, projectile vomit, in red all over their sanctimonious parking lot. It was beautiful! Good Stuff I tell ya! I could have crawled under the nearist rock. I was stuck between wanting to explain and just wanting to escape before they all ran back in to the church.

Surely this is the end of our adventures, right? A woman could suffer no more humiliation or strife on one iddy biddy romantic weekend!

We travel on to a campground we know to be a decent place and have pleasent afternoon, a great evening hike and even some fair fishing. When we got to bed it's safe in the knowledge that our closest neighbors are the boy scout troop that's kinda situated around the corner as we are at the end of a "loop" and there is a pretty steep drop off behind us.

Now for the romantic part. Yep! Sunday morning comes along and after a pleasent evening, it turns out to be "romantic" Sunday morning.;) Now, a motorhome has the bedroom in the rear, past the rear axles in our case. Because of the slope of the campsite, the rear of the motorhome had to be elevated a bit to keep us level. And, well, as we adults know, there is a little movement involved with the aforementioned "romance". Is anyone getting the mental picture yet?? Anyone? Anyone?

Yes, very nice!:scared1: Once the "romance" has ended, I realize the motorhome is still..... well.... you get the picture.
Needless to say, I'm sure the scout master appreciated having to explain the "young couple". :rolleyes1

So, there you have it! mouseketeer_mom's most memorable camping trip.

BRAVO!!!!!!!! That was the best story Ive ever read!!!! I feel like Ive been through NOTHING tough compared to you....that should be a movie...it would blow Robin Williams' "RV" away!!!!! Tri-Lakes....we should all get together there one weekend and match Bubba & Loraine beer for beer!!!

Thanks Mouseketeermom...that was VERY entertaining!!!!:lmao::lmao::lmao:

I hate to kick you while you are in the learning process but I noted a buildup of black brake dust on the front wheels of that nice new Ford, you need to get on that soon.........:lmao:

I change the dirt on my truck every 3000 miles!!!!:banana:

Shannone1 that used to come here a lot had a funny story over on rv.net about her and her hubby on their honeymoon. They had borrowed a pup from someone and the site they were given at a campground was right next to the store. She said she was in the store one morning and overheard some ladies talking about the newlyweds in the pop up and she said she ran from the store in embarassment lol.

Hey Rog - is the wave pool open at Bayou Segnette?
Just wondering because I thought after the hurricane it was closed down.

Looking for a campground for 4th of July. Most everything around here is booked up-except for Chicot (outside Ville Platte). They have over 200 sites and have a few left. You ever been there? It's a nice large state park, lots of trees and wildlife to match. There are stories of coons standing ontop of each other just to dig into someone's ice chest! And gators. We sent our black lab in to fetch and never called her back so fast as when we saw an alligator coming after her in the water!

Glad you're enjoying your pup. Keep giving us reviews of the other campgrounds you go to in the area

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter