BCR Sand Bottom Pool - Keeping the Water Clean?

Mom2six

DIS Veteran
I saw pictures of the pool with a sand bottom and sand play areas. How do they filter it or keep it sanitary? Has anyone swam in this pool and what was it like? Would you recommend it?

I have no idea how they do it, but Storm Along Bay is the best pool on property IMHO. We love it! If we could afford it, we'd stay at BC every time. :thumbsup2

No idea but we loved it and it was totally clean. It is not real sand, it has a different texture. Can't wait to get back to BC and SAB!

I know they have a special filtration system for the sand bottomed area (because it had to be repaired and caused a shut down in April). We stayed there in May and the whole pool was crystal clean. No issues whatsoever.

HTH

Here is a picture I took which shows how they clean the "real" sand around Stormalong Bay. :thumbsup2 It was a really cool process:

088577-R1-20-21.jpg

They pump water and sand through some type of a system and it redistributes the sand by adjusting the cannons. I've seen it done several times and it was interesting to watch.

That is so awesome! Great picture, thanks for posting it!

I keep trying to describe he sandy bottom, and it's tough to do- it's not like regular sand. Anybody know anything more about it?

It is really hard to describe unless you've been in it. It's not real (i.e. beach sand). I have a friend whose son has hemophelia and it's the only pool he can really swim in confidently since the bottom is the way it is. It's really different. I love the cleaning pictures--I've never seen that before:) Count yourself lucky if you can swim there--no pool hopping allowed.

So, my husband, who is a geolgist, says that it is "real sand", but it is washed. They wash out all the fine materials, which makes the texture feel different - and why you can't build good sand castles. It actually works as a really good filter and makes the pool even cleaner. We are DVC members, so we are fortunate to be able to stay at the BC frequently. It is our favorite resort in WDW, bar none.

This was a great question...I learned a bunch today too! :sulley:

Michelle

So, my husband, who is a geolgist, says that it is "real sand", but it is washed. They wash out all the fine materials, which makes the texture feel different - and why you can't build good sand castles. It actually works as a really good filter and makes the pool even cleaner. We are DVC members, so we are fortunate to be able to stay at the BC frequently. It is our favorite resort in WDW, bar none.

This was a great question...I learned a bunch today too! :sulley:

Michelle

Thanks for the info. That makes a lot more sense than what I posted. But it is really hard to describe--imagine--on the disboards and learning too--a win/win :teacher:

I love this thread!

Thanks for all of the great info and pictures.

Thought I would add a picture of the sand:

SABsand-1.jpg

I just returned from BC and spent a lot of time at SAB and I the pool. Normally I dont like public pools be ause they seem slimy:confused3 the pool here was great and it was very clean:thumbsup2

Is it like aquarium sand possibly???

I am considering this option for the bottom of our makeshift pool!

My husband does water treatment. Came home with an 11' x 11' cylinder. We cut the bottom off. It's white and liners don't come in that size and we can't paint it bc it's a specialty plastic. (Made to not have anything adhere to it- drinking water tank)

I felt like this light sand in the bottom would make the mini pool practically zero maintenance.

Open to feedback for sure!!! Our families have pools but we have a little boy turning 4. We cut it down to 35" deep just to have to cool off and teach him to swim.

Is it like aquarium sand possibly???

I am considering this option for the bottom of our makeshift pool!

My husband does water treatment. Came home with an 11' x 11' cylinder. We cut the bottom off. It's white and liners don't come in that size and we can't paint it bc it's a specialty plastic. (Made to not have anything adhere to it- drinking water tank)

I felt like this light sand in the bottom would make the mini pool practically zero maintenance.

Open to feedback for sure!!! Our families have pools but we have a little boy turning 4. We cut it down to 35" deep just to have to cool off and teach him to swim.

I would definitely research it a ton before going forward with your own sand bottom pool. Make sure you aren't throwing money away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter