• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

BC or AKL and BC split stay

EMouse81

Earning My Ears
Hi I am planning a trip to WDW for August 2024. There are six of us - me, my husband, my parents and my two sons aged 4 and 6. We went last year and stayed at Poly for two weeks. We loved the convenience of the resort, fireworks from the beach and the pool but would like to try somewhere different next year. We are deciding between either two weeks at BC or one week at AKL followed by one week at BC. We are travelling from the UK and it will probably be my parents’ last trip with us due to their age (although they said that last time!). My eldest son has recently been diagnosed with autism and had some sensory processing issues at the start of the last trip. He really wants to go back despite this, but I wondered whether AKL might be a quieter option for the start of the trip. I also think the food at AKL might be better for us - both the formal and the quick service options look good and we are likely to eat at the hotel more in the first few days while we acclimatise. Pools are really important to us and while the BC pool looks amazing, I think the boys might prefer the ones at AKL (they are not into slides yet but liked the splash pad at Poly). However the location of BC looks so good that we are still tempted to spend the two weeks there and save having to repack/unpack. The boys really liked Hollywood Studios in particular on our last trip and since then have become big Star Wars fans. They also liked Epcot and the Skyliner. And being able to come and go easily from two of the parks will be a big plus if my eldest is overwhelmed at the start of the trip. I’m aware that if we split our stay then ADR bookings will not be as beneficial, but we are ok with that. I’ve researched the transport position but would be helpful to hear from people who have been recently what the buses are like from the two resorts. And generally what people think about the two resorts / split stays. Thanks very much to anyone who has time to respond.

Spilt stay would be my vote, AKL has a lot to do so definitely have some resort days and I get a savanna view. BC great pool area, lots of green space to get some quiet time & we found the quiet pools nice too.

Does it have to be 50/50? I’d do like majority BC, a few days AKL. The food at AKL might appeal to you now but how many times do you want eat it? And if you don’t your only option is bus/rideshare. At BC you have all EP resorts for food + EP if you have park hoppers.

Does it have to be 50/50? I’d do like majority BC, a few days AKL. The food at AKL might appeal to you now but how many times do you want eat it? And if you don’t your only option is bus/rideshare. At BC you have all EP resorts for food + EP if you have park hoppers.
I agree with this. Like maybe 9-10 nights at BC since it's easier to come and go and there's so much around Crescent Lake and easy park access, and 4-5 nights AKL for R&R time?

Spilt stay would be my vote, AKL has a lot to do so definitely have some resort days and I get a savanna view. BC great pool area, lots of green space to get some quiet time & we found the quiet pools nice too.
Thank you! Good to hear that there’s some quieter spots at BC.

I would recommend a split stay since you are taking such a long trip but for me, I'd prefer more time at BC than AKL. I love AKL but it's just a bus to everywhere and there's nothing convenient about it other than a shorter bus ride to AK. I love the animals and the resort theming but a full week there would not be my first choice. If your kids are into Epcot and DHS, it would make more sense to me to stay at an ecpot area resort like BC for more time. The only negative based on what you said is that the pool area at BC could be more intense/stimulating than at AKL.

I will say, Aug 2024 is a long way off and your kids may be into slides by then and also depending on when you go in August, it may not be near as crowded. AKL pool does have a slide also that's pretty low thrill. Early Aug kids will still be out of school but the resort crowds tend to lighten some once mid month hits and kids are back in session.

Also, as far as food goes, you will have so so so many more options at BC than AKL if you don't want to bus/rental car everywhere. From BC, you can go to YC, Boardwalk, Swan/Dolphin and of course hop over to disney springs. Walkability/boat to Epcot/DHS can't be beat, it's such a great location. You'll have Boardwalk entertainment, drink locations for the adults, ice cream on the boardwalk for the kids, it's just so much more to do than just animal watching.

Thank you - it hadn’t actually occurred to me not to do 50/50 but would work well to spend a few days acclimatising at AK and then transfer to BC. After first few days would hope to be able to take full advantage of being in EP area.

With two weeks, I would do the split. Not doing 50/50 would be fine (I would do at least 4 nights at AKL, however), but keep in mind how long it may take you to acclimate to the time difference. You may even want to consider doing a 1-bedroom villa and studio or a 2-bedroom at one of the resorts (AKV or BCV) to have a kitchen and washer/dryer (which will come in handy with a two-week stay). You may also want to consider a WL/CCV/BRV and BC stay if you will spend more time in MK during the trip than AK. If you do WL, you will have much better access to MK and you will still get a quiet, relaxed resort.

Hi I am planning a trip to WDW for August 2024. There are six of us - me, my husband, my parents and my two sons aged 4 and 6. We went last year and stayed at Poly for two weeks. We loved the convenience of the resort, fireworks from the beach and the pool but would like to try somewhere different next year. We are deciding between either two weeks at BC or one week at AKL followed by one week at BC. We are travelling from the UK and it will probably be my parents’ last trip with us due to their age (although they said that last time!). My eldest son has recently been diagnosed with autism and had some sensory processing issues at the start of the last trip. He really wants to go back despite this, but I wondered whether AKL might be a quieter option for the start of the trip. I also think the food at AKL might be better for us - both the formal and the quick service options look good and we are likely to eat at the hotel more in the first few days while we acclimatise. Pools are really important to us and while the BC pool looks amazing, I think the boys might prefer the ones at AKL (they are not into slides yet but liked the splash pad at Poly). However the location of BC looks so good that we are still tempted to spend the two weeks there and save having to repack/unpack. The boys really liked Hollywood Studios in particular on our last trip and since then have become big Star Wars fans. They also liked Epcot and the Skyliner. And being able to come and go easily from two of the parks will be a big plus if my eldest is overwhelmed at the start of the trip. I’m aware that if we split our stay then ADR bookings will not be as beneficial, but we are ok with that. I’ve researched the transport position but would be helpful to hear from people who have been recently what the buses are like from the two resorts. And generally what people think about the two resorts / split stays. Thanks very much to anyone who has time to respond.

With two weeks, I'd absolutely go for the split stay though I might consider doing BC first, and then moving somewhere more relaxed toward the end. The longest trip we've done was 12 nights, and we've often done split stays. I find the change of scenery really helps keep the trip feeling fresh and exciting. I think AKL sounds like a nice quiet option, and I'm also going to throw Wilderness Lodge out there as another quiet alternative. My favorite split stay to date was Boardwalk followed by Wilderness Lodge. After all the hubbub around Crescent Lake, Wilderness Lodge felt so quiet and relaxing. It was a nice change of pace and felt like a natural way to slow things down.

AKL as you saw has 2 pools the pool at Kidani by far has the best splash pad although the one at POLY is also very nice. Jambo also has a traditional playground. Jambo's pool is huge and not at all intimidating for younger kids including the slide. For older adults AKL is always a huge hit there is always something to do and a lot of nice areas inside and out through out the resort for them to relax and watch animals, have a drink and much more. BW area is easy to walk to EPCOT and HS just remember the word walk as this can be harder for older people park open and close. I went through this with My and My wife's parents years past. AKL always kept them calm and they looked forwarded to going back to the resort to sit and have a glass of wine.... Other resorts they felt the need to stay in the parks longer although they were exhausted and that can make for some not so great moments. I would do BW area first and AK second this way they hopefully did what they wanted in the parks and will enjoy the resort.

I would say do the spilt stay. We have been taking our DS since he was 2.5 years old (he is 19 now) and he still loves Disney!

We are staying at the AKL again this trip. My son also has sensory processing disorder. We love AKL because it feels more removed and secluded than a lot of the other resorts. Which is great because it lets my son properly reset after park time and that's extends his ability to deal with all the sensory stuff at Disney.

Watching the animals graze is entertaining and relaxing for him.
He has always loved the zero entry pool, so he can just walk in to the water like at the beach.

In park, he always like to have his noise cancelling wireless headphones with him.n Sunglasses and a baseball cap are a must for him these help him from getting overwhelmed in the crowds.

The buses from AKL as good because they have minimal stops. Coming back from the parks the bus drops off at Jumbo house first usually, which my DS appreciates because he's usually tired and by that point.

Last edited:
Thank you! Good to hear that there’s some quieter spots at BC.
We had a first-floor room waterview at YC one time and we were by the YC quiet pool, hot tub , tennis court & Laundry and loved that location. So consider YC too. Unless you are going DVC

I would recommend a split stay since you are taking such a long trip but for me, I'd prefer more time at BC than AKL. I love AKL but it's just a bus to everywhere and there's nothing convenient about it other than a shorter bus ride to AK. I love the animals and the resort theming but a full week there would not be my first choice. If your kids are into Epcot and DHS, it would make more sense to me to stay at an ecpot area resort like BC for more time. The only negative based on what you said is that the pool area at BC could be more intense/stimulating than at AKL.

I will say, Aug 2024 is a long way off and your kids may be into slides by then and also depending on when you go in August, it may not be near as crowded. AKL pool does have a slide also that's pretty low thrill. Early Aug kids will still be out of school but the resort crowds tend to lighten some once mid month hits and kids are back in session.

Also, as far as food goes, you will have so so so many more options at BC than AKL if you don't want to bus/rental car everywhere. From BC, you can go to YC, Boardwalk, Swan/Dolphin and of course hop over to disney springs. Walkability/boat to Epcot/DHS can't be beat, it's such a great location. You'll have Boardwalk entertainment, drink locations for the adults, ice cream on the boardwalk for the kids, it's just so much more to do than just animal

Hi thanks very much everyone for the considered replies. UK schools go back later than US so we will go last two weeks of August when it’s quieter. We did consider Wilderness Lodge and Yacht Club as well (and Arts of Animation and French Quarter!). Wilderness Lodge was my first choice initially but we thought the pools might be better at AKL. It sounds like majority view is to go for the split stay which is really helpful.

I would say do the spilt stay. We have been taking our DS since he was 2.5 years old (he is 19 now) and he still loves Disney!

We are staying at the AKL again this trip. My son also has sensory processing disorder. We love AKL because it feels more removed and secluded than a lot of the other resorts. Which is great because it lets my son properly reset after park time and that's extends his ability to deal with all the sensory stuff at Disney.

Watching the animals graze is entertaining and relaxing for him.
He has always loved the zero entry pool, so he can just walk in to the water like at the beach.

In park, he always like to have his noise cancelling wireless headphones with him.n Sunglasses and a baseball cap are a must for him these help him from getting overwhelmed in the crowds.

The buses from AKL as good because they have minimal stops. Coming back from the parks the bus drops off at Jumbo house first usually, which my DS appreciates because he's usually tired and by that point.
Thank you, we really liked the laid back atmosphere at Poly but it was always busy and AKL seems like it might be a gentler start for next trip. Appreciate the tips as well, our son wasn’t diagnosed when we took our trip last year (although we suspected) and I didn’t make enough allowances / adjustments. But he loved it in the end and lots of lessons learnt for next time.

Definitely think a split stay is a great idea starting at AKL. I would probably do 3-4 nights AKL followed by 10-11 at next resort.

If you want to stay in the Epcot area, I would suggest either 2 rooms at YC or a 2 bedroom DVC at either BCV or BWV. WHY? A few factors....BC has a low percentage of rooms with a full size balcony/patio. You will really appreciate having a balcony being at WDW for a 2 week vacation. BC also has a very lively (read loud) lobby area which can be irritating to a kiddo (or adults!) that need or prefer a more calm environment. I would also caution that SAB can be very overwhelming with small children. There are so many dangers and the winding around of the pool areas gets hectic if trying to cross over to other areas or look around for family members and your "home base" chairs can be easily occluded from view by the design of the whole area. None of the Disney Epcot resorts have a true kids waterplay area and if SAB is too overwhelming, you will be hanging solely at the quiet pools which may be too boring after a few days. Staying in a DVC 2 BR gives you a full kitchen and a W/D in unit and a living room area for family down time.

If your boys really enjoy waterplay areas more than the pool itself, I would suggest getting 2 rooms at GF. The kids waterplay area is fantastic and there are 2 beautiful pools as well and none of these are ever super crowded. They also have a better design for keeping tabs on family members. The rooms at GF also have balconies and I am sure your parents would enjoy spending time in the GF lobby when not in the parks. Although it is bus service to DHS and AKL, we have always had outstanding bus service at GF.

And, at the risk of sounding all gloom and doom, when going in August, it will for sure have rain storms. It may be a quickly passing sshower, it may be a 2 hour gusher or it may be a whole day tropical system. Ya never know..... Think to yourself, which resort is my family going to feel more comfortable, have more entertainment and/or food options with minimal "wetness."....lol

Whatever you choose, it will be family memories for a lifetime. Enjoy!!

Split stay for sure. I would never subject myself to 2 weeks at BC. It’s great for the days you go to EP and HS, but that’s it. AKL had better food and is much better themed. It’s also more quiet and secluded which might be a better fit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter