Bay Lake Tower vs. Polynesian

Knh711

Earning My Ears
My husband and I are looking to buy in to DVC in the near future and have been wracking out brains to narrow down which resort we want - as in, I have created a 10 page spreadsheet comparing almost every possible factor you can imagine to try and choose. LOL
At this point, we have narrowed down to 2- BLT or Poly. We have one kiddo and our second (and probably last) on the way, so for us we would do at least a 1BR at BLT, OR 2 Studios at Poly to give us the space we would like. Each has it's own pluses in some areas and negatives in others and we are just so torn.
Any weird, random, off the wall tidbits that you thought about either resort? At this point, it might boil down to the most minute detail to help us make our final decision!!
We are not necessarily concerned with the difference in point cost, as we are planning for 200 points regardless of where we buy, and going every 2 years, so we will have plenty of options and wiggle room for various room types, and even some room to rent out if we go one of the first seasons.

Last edited:
For me, I chose Poly because it has 6 more years on the contract and I don't like the BLT non-theming. Poly just feels like VACATION to me, it's one of my favorite spots. I love taking the boat over.

Poly also has great transportation to the non-MK parks.

But one of the most important reasons, math-based reasons I chose Poly is because of rental demand. I rented Poly points myself and watched one of those other rental sites for months before I bought, and there was always demand for Poly points at a premium. Of course, that was pre-Covid, and if 2020 has shown us anything it's that rental is uncertain. But I feel better knowing I can (usually) rent out Poly if we don't want to use it.

For me, BLT hands down. Poly has only studios and bungalows. The studios, while nice do not have a full kitchen or washer and dryer - must for us if staying longer than a weekend. BLT also has the option of the extra bathroom in the 1 and 2 bedrooms units which is also a plus and you really need to own points there to book the std. view rooms. Poly rooms are often times available in the 7 month window, but if you are thinking of expanding your family, more than three is really tight in any studio. We stayed at the Poly at the beginning of a vacation a couple years ago to try it - we normally stay in a 1 or 2 bedroom. The lobby is great, but to me, the DVC rooms were dark and a step above Motel 6 since they only offer studio rooms. I think Poly is split - you either love it or hate, and I really wanted to love it - but it is the only resort I will never stay in again. If they had more room options then maybe i would consider it again, but the studio only and one bathroom option (yes they have two showers, but one toilet - what were they thinking-is also a negative.

we would do at least a 1BR at BLT, OR 2 Studios at Poly to give us the space we would like. Each has it's own pluses in some areas and negatives in others and we are just so torn.

This would push me to BLT for you. It's not like you are going to leave an eight year old in their own hotel room, even if it is an adjacent studio. 1BR might be a better fit for your family.

With kids between those two I would choose BLT because you cannot beat a true one/two bedroom. You will find on longer vacations having a washer and dryer and a full kitchen becomes a huge benefit. You may not realize it right now, and you may be telling yourself "well the studio has a mini fridge and I don't mind bringing clothes to the laundry room". But once you take a family of four and go in a one bedroom it gets super hard to go back.
One down side of BLT is as silly as this sounds is a fear of heights or more specifically a fear of your kids being on a balcony. My wife gets so stressed the few times we stay at BLT because she hates the kids getting on the balcony even when we are out there watching them etc. I don't think its a major thing, but just something to bring up.

With kids between those two I would choose BLT because you cannot beat a true one/two bedroom. You will find on longer vacations having a washer and dryer and a full kitchen becomes a huge benefit. You may not realize it right now, and you may be telling yourself "well the studio has a mini fridge and I don't mind bringing clothes to the laundry room". But once you take a family of four and go in a one bedroom it gets super hard to go back.
One down side of BLT is as silly as this sounds is a fear of heights or more specifically a fear of your kids being on a balcony. My wife gets so stressed the few times we stay at BLT because she hates the kids getting on the balcony even when we are out there watching them etc. I don't think its a major thing, but just something to bring up.
We did go in February (before the whole covid fiasco!) as a family of 3, and stayed in the 1BR. We loved the space it offered, but only used the kitchen for breakfast, and the w/d was a nightmare... it took forever to dry and couldn't run it once my son went to sleep or it would wake him up. If it was a better quality I can see using it more, but I am also a DIY mom who makes a million different shirts to wear lol. I obviously don't know yet how different life will be with a 2nd little, and maybe that will change, but for now I give SOME bonus points that they are there in case I need them, but, do I/will I use them enough to have that be my one determining factor? 🤷🏼‍♀️ lol
This is why this decision has been MONTHS in the making lol

My husband and I are looking to buy in to DVC in the near future and have been wracking out brains to narrow down which resort we want - as in, I have created a 10 page spreadsheet comparing almost every possible factor you can imagine to try and choose. LOL
At this point, we have narrowed down to 2- BLT or Poly.
Soooo many people ask this, and you obviously know more than most! But, based solely upon your desire for space, I would strongly recommend BLT. Staying in 2 studios doesn’t seem like a big deal- until you’ve done it and Johnny has Susie’s toothpaste in the other room... or your favorite snack is over there... or one room is all ready to go, so they come and crowd into the room with the people who still aren’t ready (because surely that will help speed the process along!) 🤦🏻‍♀️

I’ve experienced it all! I’ve got a family of 8. When we vacation (outside of DVC), we tend to VRBO or get gigantic suites. The last time we were forced into 2 rooms (which were good-sized suites and we had plenty of space), we thought it would be fine. We couldn’t get connecting rooms, but they were just diagonally across the hall... no big deal, right?! Wrong. There were so many wasted steps between those 2 rooms that it tires me out just thinking about it! 😬 I was so ready to check out of that hotel and get into our next VRBO rental!!! 😉

Staying under “one roof” is huge for our family... and makes for better memories, IMO. I love both the Poly and BLT, but since you prefer having a lot of space, I think BLT would make you happiest in the long run... and you’d never feel pushed into pricey bungalows. Plus, in my experience, it’s easier to get into the Poly at 7 months 👍🏻

With kids in the other studio, would you have to worry about them wandering around the resort because they have a door to the corridor from the second studio? They are still in another space, no matter if you book a one bedroom or two studios. They get to sleep in the living room, mom and dad get the bedroom.

I have two teenagers, and we are happy to stay in a studio that sleeps 5 for our trips so far. But most of our trips are 5 days or shorter. Poly is our absolute favorite resort, so our first contract is there. I say throw your spreadsheet out the window. Which resort makes you excited? Which one do you dream about? Which one gives you that feeling of joy when you walk in the lobby? Buy that one! You can always buy more later once your family grows if you feel the need for a 1 BR.

High point charts, only studios, and seems fairly easy to get at 7 months means no bueno for me. Also its not like POLY has a longer contract or is cheaper.

Also as for 2 studios at POLY you could get a 2BR at BLT depending on room categories for a little more or less points and depending on the season.
We're not overly worried about point cost - we're planning on a 200pt contract regardless of where we buy, and going every 2 years, so we will have lots of wiggle room with room types/views/seasons! 🙂

We're not overly worried about point cost - we're planning on a 200pt contract regardless of where we buy, and going every 2 years, so we will have lots of wiggle room with room types/views/seasons! 🙂

So point cost in my mind is a combo of buyin and nightly point requirements.

If you break it down which would be better a 2BR with 3 rooms (2 bedrooms and common area) or 2 studio rooms connected? The nightly requirement is basically the same points.

Poly or BLT won't really be any different for buy in maybe just a little more but nothing to worry about.

400 points is getting you either 2x Standard Studios at Poly or a 2BR Std View at BLT at the end of August as an example for 9 nights give or take a few points. It would be 11 nights in a 1BR Std View.

I would highly prefer 2BRs with kids especially as they grow up and possibly have friends join us or even significant others as they get a lot older.

Only you can decide if being really locked in to Studios is a big deal. Also have to think you never will have laundry in room, full kitchen, or even bigger a full refrigerator (great for even bringing back leftovers).

You've already decided on one of two resorts, so presumably you like both. (If you haven't at least visited both, then I suggest making a visit before purchasing.)

Remember, you're not going to stay at your Home Resort every trip, so you want to focus on the advantages offered by owning at that resort, not the resort itself.

With this in mind, BLT has a couple of advantages:
  • BLT has 3 room views, with Standard and Theme Park views being hard to book if you don't own there. Generally, PVB is easier to book than BLT's Standard and Theme Park views.
  • BLT has a lower Maintenance Fee ($6.58 vs $6.79).
The Poly has an advantage too:
  • The Poly's contract ends in 2066. BLT's contract ends in 2060.

However, when you go is important. If you go during DVC's bust season (late September to January 1), then it's much more difficult to book at anywhere other than your Home Resort.

I would not select 2 connecting studios as the option while you have younger children. That would seal the deal for BLT for me. Depending on when you go you'll likely get to stay at PVB at times too as well as other locations.

We own at Poly and just love it. The whole resort and theming for me is total vacation mode. We had two connecting studios this past trip with my parents and it was fantastic. We don’t cook on vacation, besides breakfast, and only wash clothes 1x in the 10 days we are there. So we didn’t miss the washer/dryer and kitchen.

I would go with BLT. POLY only have studios and then it does not matter if they are connecting or not. Should you need a 1br or 2br then you need BLT. Should you at some point decide for an adult trip you can almost always outside fall frenzy get a studio at Poly. The same goes at BLT but here you can book the point cheap standard views. At Poly the standards are not that cheap point wise.

A small thing that my daughter noticed and I tend to agree with her: The reception area at Poly smells badly

Another thing if you stay at Poly, if you need to go anywhere you need to go out in the open and if it rains you will get soaked. At BLT you can get to the monorail with dry feet even if it rains. Its a small thing but still.

But once you take a family of four and go in a one bedroom it gets super hard to go back.
🙋‍♀️
We'd been many times with our kids as infants (as young as 2.5 mo) and toddlers and now kids. With infants and toddlers, the short walk from MK is invaluable for naptimes, and the full kitchen and laundry were in heavy use. Now that our kids are bigger, we pack about 3 days' worth of clothes and then do laundry while we are there. Not only do we not need to check bags, but the kids' clothes fit into rollaboards small enough for them to take themselves! It's a whole new world....

We love Poly and keep saying we will stay there, someday, but for the point costs, we would stay in a studio at VGF or a 1BR elsewhere. When we are in the MK area, we always always go there for a meal or two. But not being able to be under cover during a rainstorm, and not having the option of a 1br or 2br, is kind of a deal breaker for us.

My kids are 8 and 4, and the doors are hard even for me to open! The sliding doors are heavy, and the door from the LR has a lock that's too high for a toddler to reach. (I think all the balcony doors have high locks)

If you break it down which would be better a 2BR with 3 rooms (2 bedrooms and common area) or 2 studio rooms connected? The nightly requirement is basically the same points.
Yes, this. Laundry, and full kitchen, 2BR at BLT has 3 full baths (3 toilets!). No contest here.

With kids in the other studio, would you have to worry about them wandering around the resort because they have a door to the corridor from the second studio? They are still in another space, no matter if you book a one bedroom or two studios. They get to sleep in the living room, mom and dad get the bedroom.
If the kids slept in the living room of a 1 bedroom, the kids also have the door out. It is pretty much the same as 2 connecting studios.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter