Bathroom Remodel

EllieJedi

Mouseketeer
I’m in the planning stages of a remodel of my hall bath. It’s a standard 5’ X 8’ bath. The hex floor tile and bathtub are original to when the house was built in 1930 and are in excellent condition. The wall tile is original as well, except for an area where an exterior window was removed when the shower was added. That tile is the reason for the remodel as it has started to fall off the wall, and my contractor thinks it wasn’t properly installed. I’m hoping to be able to keep the floor tile and tub but if not I would like to keep a style that fits with the rest of the house.

Where I am absolutely struggling is with the wall tile color. I plan to stay in this house so I’m not super worried about resale. The current hex floor is white with periwinkle blue inset flowers. If I end up needing to replace the floor, I have found a similar color to my current floor or a white with black inset option as well. The current original 1930 wall tile is 4 1/4” burgundy, exact color match to American Olean Color Story Passion. I really could use some objective opinions. Do I stay neutral, and add paint or wallpaper? Or go for more of a vintage color tile?

These are the wall tile options I’m considering:
  1. Dal-Tile Waterfall blue 4 X 4 with white liner trim (the blue is a glossy blue and a good match for the inset color in the floor).
  2. American Olean Burgundy 3” X 6” subway with blue liner trim to match floor inset.
  3. Dal-Tile White 4 X 4 laid offset with blue liner trim.
  4. Dal-Tile White 3 X 6 subway with blue liner trim.

Sorry I can’t give any advice, but that’s an amazing bathroom that’s lasted since 1930. Nothing you do now will last that long. Our house was built in 1972 and I can’t remember how many times we’ve remodelled the main bathroom. Things just wore out - tile, flooring, etc, etc. I know you won’t do this but we finally got Bathfitters and don’t regret it. It’s lasted longer than anything else.

Caveat - my decorating style is pretty structured - some might say boring. But, I'd go with your option 1, the tile matching the inset flowers.

Caveat - my decorating style is pretty structured - some might say boring. But, I'd go with your option 1, the tile matching the inset flowers.
This is a photo of that color. It shows the 3 X 6 but the color would be the same.

IMG_0366.jpeg

I love your floor 🙂.

Is the bath tile getting replaced? If so. I would not use the burgundy.

Have your tried to stay vintage in the rest of your house? If you wanted that vintage feel, I'd go with the blue.

But I guess I'm boring too, because I would choose the white subway tiles and add a wallpaper with some of the blue in it.

I love your floor 🙂.

Is the bath tile getting replaced? If so. I would not use the burgundy.

Have your tried to stay vintage in the rest of your house? If you wanted that vintage feel, I'd go with the blue.

But I guess I'm boring too, because I would choose the white subway tiles and add a wallpaper with some of the blue in it.
The wall tile definitely needs to be replaced, so I was leaning towards either the blue or white. I keep reading articles that white subway is not as “in” now but I’m not really trying to be trendy since I’m trying to be more authentic to when the house was built. I have ordered some possible wallpaper samples I’m considering so if there’s one that I really love in person maybe that will help make the decision.

Yes, I have tried to keep the rest of the house as original as possible. The floors and trim on the first floor are original. Most of the lighting is either original, of the same era, or period appropriate like in the kitchen. The kitchen was gutted as the previous remodel was from the 60s but we tried to make the design fit with the rest of the house as much as possible.

Subway would work, and I love the floor tile. I also love 20s, 30s and 40s stylings but I like havimg vintage pieces that are juxtaposed with a little modern accent. You could do subway tiles in the tub and the wall on the left, then for the wall with the vanity and toilet do a cool peel and stick wallpaper accent. Maybe add a period looking sconce or something. Tons of them on Etsy.

Subway would work, and I love the floor tile. I also love 20s, 30s and 40s stylings but I like havimg vintage pieces that are juxtaposed with a little modern accent. You could do subway tiles in the tub and the wall on the left, then for the wall with the vanity and toilet do a cool peel and stick wall
This is my first choice for wallpaper and it comes in 2 different shades of blue with white so I’m hoping it will work. There are 2 local architectural salvage places near me where I’ve had good luck. They both have Instagram pages and I’m seeing some wall sconces that might work so I’m planning to go check them out this weekend. I’m not seeing as many vintage ceiling fixtures I like so that might be a way to add a more modern element.

IMG_0551.jpeg

Not related to tile, but I would strongly urge you to have the contractor install grab bars in the shower. You may think you do not need them, but they can save you from a nasty fall.
I will absolutely be installing grab bars in the shower. I had looked at one of the vertical ones that also hold a hand shower as I want to keep a hand shower for bathing the dog, and then a second horizontal one on the long wall.

I would go with classic subway tile. A larger size subway tile. Look at both whites and creams (differs from manufacturer to manufacturer) to see what looks best with the floor. I would only tile the shower, all the way to the top and, if you can, have a niche installed. The tiles that are on the walls (not in the shower). I would remove and just paint. Your hexagon tile is nice but it's busy. That kind of tile is. I like neutral colors. Color can be added with towels, accessories, etc. My favorite paint color is Accessible Beige by Sherwin Williams. Are you changing out the vanity, toilet, mirror, fixtures, etc?

I have the same floor tile in our house. I redid the walls with subway tile and some 1x1 blue highlight tiles right below the cap cove tiles.

I agree with no burgundy if you’re keeping the floor. I love the color tile you posted in post #6. I’m not sure whether I would pick subway or 4x4 tiles. I guess I would wonder about 20 yrs from now, whether subway tile would look dated. I think the 4x4s are more classic, but it’s all a matter of taste and opinion. And I agree, I wouldn’t put them behind the sink, just in the tub area. I do like your posted wallpaper. It’s a little “busy”, so I think you’d have to keep your towels and shower curtains plain. (Whereas if you put up paint or a subtle wallpaper, then you could consider linens in the room with a design.) It’s all a matter of personal taste, but kind of fun to think about when an opportunity like this comes along. I imagine you are replacing your sink and vanity, too? I like that you’re preserving the floor. Funny about the window that used to be in the tub area. Our main bathroom has one there, too, and it’s a bit of a pain. We have to keep a second shower curtain over it from the inside for when we shower. If we do another remodel in there someday (we’ve already done one, in 2004), I’d change out the window to a rectangular one (maybe waterproof if they make those) higher up, and make the tub a shower with doors, but that’s a long way off.

We just completed a DIY bathroom remodel on our lower level half bath (with washer and dryer). Fun, because in more than 30 yrs in our house, it’s the first time we’ve completely redone it. (We did do cosmetics when we first moved in, but those were getting a bit long in the tooth - wallpaper borders are really outdated at this point.) This is part of a lower level family room which we’re also completely re-doing, with a barn theme. Everything is new but the sink and toilet, which we re-used, not just to keep costs down, but because we like them and they’re still functional (it’s a special toilet because waste has to go “up” - don’t ask, lol). But at any rate, walls and floor are new, and all fixtures. Our favorite thing is the new faucet, which is like a waterfall. It was funny when DH was re-installing the sink - air somehow got in the pipes and when we first turned on the faucet, water shot across the room and hit the opposite wall! Lmao. So we weren’t sure if we’d be able to keep the faucet, but he adjusted it, so we can, and water flow is fine now. Here’s a picture. We still have a few details to finish up, including painting the cabinets over the washer and dryer (which are to the right, and you can’t see in this picture) but then it will be completely done.

IMG_2298.jpeg

IMG_2084.jpeg

Remember to have fun with it!

I agree with no burgundy if you’re keeping the floor. I love the color tile you posted in post #6. I’m not sure whether I would pick subway or 4x4 tiles. I guess I would wonder about 20 yrs from now, whether subway tile would look dated. I think the 4x4s are more classic, but it’s all a matter of taste and opinion. And I agree, I wouldn’t put them behind the sink, just in the tub area. I do like your posted wallpaper. It’s a little “busy”, so I think you’d have to keep your towels and shower curtains plain. (Whereas if you put up paint or a subtle wallpaper, then you could consider linens in the room with a design.) It’s all a matter of personal taste, but kind of fun to think about when an opportunity like this comes along. I imagine you are replacing your sink and vanity, too? I like that you’re preserving the floor. Funny about the window that used to be in the tub area. Our main bathroom has one there, too, and it’s a bit of a pain. We have to keep a second shower curtain over it from the inside for when we shower. If we do another remodel in there someday (we’ve already done one, in 2004), I’d change out the window to a rectangular one (maybe waterproof if they make those) higher up, and make the tub a shower with doors, but that’s a long way off.

We just completed a DIY bathroom remodel on our lower level half bath (with washer and dryer). Fun, because in more than 30 yrs in our house, it’s the first time we’ve completely redone it. (We did do cosmetics when we first moved in, but those were getting a bit long in the tooth - wallpaper borders are really outdated at this point.) This is part of a lower level family room which we’re also completely re-doing, with a barn theme. Everything is new but the sink and toilet, which we re-used, not just to keep costs down, but because we like them and they’re still functional (it’s a special toilet because waste has to go “up” - don’t ask, lol). But at any rate, walls and floor are new, and all fixtures. Our favorite thing is the new faucet, which is like a waterfall. It was funny when DH was re-installing the sink - air somehow got in the pipes and when we first turned on the faucet, water shot across the room and hit the opposite wall! Lmao. So we weren’t sure if we’d be able to keep the faucet, but he adjusted it, so we can, and water flow is fine now. Here’s a picture. We still have a few details to finish up, including painting the cabinets over the washer and dryer (which are to the right, and you can’t see in this picture) but then it will be completely done.

Remember to have fun with it!
Everything in the room other than the floor tile and the tub will be replaced. I can understand why people are saying to not do the tile everywhere but my goal is not to remodel in a usual sense where I’m making the bath look up to date with the latest style. I’m hoping that when I’m done the bath will look as if it could have been done when the house was built.

These were 2 of the inspiration photos that I started with originally. The blue one has a slightly lighter color tile, a shower instead of a tub. The white bath I’ve had saved on Houzz forever. It actually used the white Daltile I’m considering and I think it looks great. It’s a bigger bath than mine though and has a window.

IMG_1585.jpeg

IMG_1606.jpeg

When considering the wall tile color for your hall bath remodel, it's important to strike a balance between preserving the vintage feel of your house and incorporating your personal style. Given that the original 1930 wall tile is burgundy, you have a couple of options to consider.

One approach is to stay neutral with the wall tile color and enhance the vintage aesthetic through other design elements. You can opt for a classic white or off-white tile that complements the existing white hex floor tile and bathtub. This neutral backdrop will provide a versatile base for adding pops of color through accessories, such as towels, artwork, or even a vintage-inspired vanity.

Alternatively, you could embrace a vintage color palette and choose a wall tile color that reflects the era of your house. Consider exploring hues that were popular during the 1930s, such as soft pastels like pale pink, mint green, or light blue. These colors can create a charming and nostalgic atmosphere, paying homage to the time period in which your house was built. Remember to take into account your personal preferences and the overall aesthetic you envision for your bathroom. You could also consult with an interior designer or browse through design magazines or online resources for inspiration to help you visualize different options. Ultimately, the decision on the wall tile color should reflect your unique style while maintaining harmony with the existing elements in your hall bath.

Regenerate response

With regard to wall paper I think you will tire of any type of large/bold print that seems to now be popular on those TV home design shows. After a couple of years, you will probably want something else. Wall paper requires skill to install and is a LOT more work then painting. Most anyone can buy a couple gallons of paint and redo an area if you want to change the wall color.

It is also nearly impossible to repair wall paper if it happens to get damaged. With the typical painted walls, you can easy fix damage and repaint the area.

Love the floor!

I would go with the blue tile. We have a vintage home and have kept a lot of the original features, one being the colored tile in bathroom (navy blue and white).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter