Bathroom issues

leebee

DIS Veteran
I'll be in WDW in Dec with my sister Sally, who has cerebral palsy. She will be in her wheelchair; she uses crutches for walking but is not safe in crowds (to say nothing of not being very fast!). Balance is a huge issue for her, and her hands have limited flexibility. Also, she is a colon cancer survivor and therefore has a colostomy. WDW bathrooms are very difficult for her to negotiate. Although the chair fits into the stall, the toilet is rather high, the floor is often wet and slippery, and there is no counter area around the sinks. If she needs to deal with her colostomy appliance, she is pretty much sunk- no space but the floor to put supplies, and with the wetness and her balance issues, picking up things from the floor is not an option. Are there any bathroom options in any of the parks, other than using the handicapped stalls in the regular bathrooms? These are barely sufficient for 'calls of nature', much less anything more involved. Thanks for your help...I've used info from this board for previous trips, so I know you are the folks to ask!

At each (most?) of the parks (and Downtown Disney) you will find Companion restrooms that are much larger than the stalls in regular restrooms. All are big enough to allow a helper into the restroom with the user. Some are big enough to hold a party!Some (but not all) have large counters. Also, each park has a medical centre with toilet facilities. Companion restrooms and medical centres are marked on the maps.

Andrew

The first aid stations all have larger bathrooms which are clean and have a sink in the same room as the toilet. It's a quieter place without a long line waiting behind her and a lot more privacy. The nursing staff will be more than happy to accomodate her.

Anne

Here's a page from Deb Wills site that gives a description and lists where the companion restrooms are. The Companion Restrooms are not listed in the park maps, but you will find a list in the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities for each park. There is a link for those in the disABILITIES FAQs thread stuck near the top of this board.
Unfortunately, the raised seat toilets are part of almost 100% handicapped restrooms and wet floors happen sometimes and you won't know ahead of time. My DD is only 5 feet tall and those raised seat toilets are very hard for her. We don't have an option, because she can't leave her wheelchair out of the stall and she needs me to be in the stall to help her.

Some, but not all of the Companion Restrooms have a diaper changing table built into the wall that could be used as a counter. The ones that don't have the diaper changing table don't have any counters, just a sink that hangs from the wall. One thing she may want to consider is bringing something with her to use to make a flat surface on the sink. Something like a large plastic cutting board (I don't know the size of this, but it's an example of what I'm talking about). Those kind of cutting boards are very firm, light weight and easy to clean. They could be slipped into a backpack and then placed across the sink to make a small counter area.

There is one First Aid Station in each park and if the restroom in First Aid doesn't work for you (like the MK one and Epcot are not that large), the staff will work out something for you. They have private exam rooms in First Aid where she could use a counter and a cot/exam table.

The handicapped stalls in AK, most of them in the Studio and most in DD are the large kind with a sink right in the stall and plenty of room for a wheelchair. They are the ones we have found more often to have wet floors because people use them a lot more with their small children.

Try the baby changing stations. If I remember correctly they have large bathrooms (for strollers to accompany). They also let us use one of the quiet rooms to change my DD's Diapers (he is 16). The rooms are carpeted and have chairs etc.....

I have to agree about using First Aid probably being the best option. Our teenage DS also has CP and toiletting was becoming very difficult in the confines of the restrooms, even companion ones. The staff at First Aid couldn't have been more helpful and we never felt rushed like you can be if you know other people are waiting for a comapnion restroom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter