BART Help

Pinkos

Mouseketeer
Can someone please explain the BART transit system to me? We are arriving in SFO and will be staying at Hotel Diva which is Union Square.... I think I will take the BART to the powel station and can walk to the hotel from there .... now. If I want to go to Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39 .... is BART the best way? Looking for advice/ thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

The last stop is Embarcadero, so I don't know that it will get you closer to Fisherman's Wharf than just walking. Google Maps has a public transportation search that will give you all the options for buses and MUNI. You can enter various days of the week and times to get a more accurate schedule.

OP we stayed in Fisherman's Wharf and used the F line to go up the Embarcadero or cable cars to get to Union Sq. Take a look at the official site for MUNI www.sfmta.com

It's a bit difficult for someone new to understand BART. What it is to the commuter is kind of different. It's somewhat of a cross between a subway system and an intercity rail system. The have several different lines and different ways to get from one point to another. It makes it a bit harder for the novice rider because the lines sort of change depending on the time and day of the week. There are some ways to

If you're just trying to use BART to get from San Francisco Airport (which isn't in San Francisco) to San Francisco then it's not that difficult. If you're looking to go elsewhere there may or may not be a transfer involved depending on if and/or when there's a direct train to your station. The BART website has a way to enter your time and stations and it will give options for how to get there and which stations you'll need to use to transfer to a different train. Here's the map (it's not physically accurate):

system-map.gif

The basics are that each passenger generally needs a ticket, which is a thin plastic card (they used to be paper) with a magnetic strip that's inserted into a slot at the gates and taken with the passenger. On exiting the system will calculate the fare and deduct that amount from the value remaining. There's a specific fare for each combination of entry and exit stations. Using the San Francisco Airport station comes with a surcharge rolled into the fare. As an example it's typically more than $4 compared to taking the train from the next station (Millbrae). It's also possible to use an interagency fare card called Clipper on BART.

A lot of visitors purchase a multi-day pass on MUNI, which is San Francisco's public transportation system that includes cable cars, buses, and light rail. If you get the San Francisco CityPASS, a 7-day MUNI pass is included. It also contains the F-line streetcars that were mentioned. The F-line is nice but it takes a long route along Market Street and the waterfront. From around Union Square to Fishermans Wharf, the Power-Mason (or Powell-Hyde) cable car line is probably the most direct, and I assume you're going to want to ride it at least once. There are also some buses that will be cheaper if you're paying a cash fare.

https://www.sfmta.com/maps

Can someone please explain the BART transit system to me? We are arriving in SFO and will be staying at Hotel Diva which is Union Square.... I think I will take the BART to the powel station and can walk to the hotel from there .... now. If I want to go to Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39 .... is BART the best way? Looking for advice/ thoughts?

As noted, BART is mostly for inter-city travel between towns around the Bay. For travel within SF, you're better off with Muni, which runs the buses, cable cars, street cars, etc, within San Francisco proper.

For a comprehensive web site on all transit within the SF Bay area, check out http://511.org. It is a clearinghouse of all the various agencies: BART, SF Muni, AC Transit, CalTrain, ferries, etc, etc. It has a trip planner that incorporates them all.

For a map of the Muni system -- buses, street cars, etc within SF proper, check out https://www.sfmta.com/maps/muni-system-map

To get from Union Square to the wharf area, you have two primary choices:
The touristy thing to do is take the cable car (Powell-Hyde or Powell-Mason). It's a cool thing to do for a tourist. But it's a bit pricey, and it can be difficult to get onto, since it's so popular. There are long lines at the terminii of the cable car lines, and when it passes any of the stops between, it frequently has no room.

The other method is the bus. The 30 Stockton is probably the best route for you between Union Square and the wharf. Or perhaps the 8 Bayshore.

Also, check the SFMTA site for multi-day passes.

HTH,
Bob

Depends on how many people, but honestly I would just take a cab or Uber from Union Square to Fisherman's Wharf. I'm guessing it would cost $10-15 each way? The cable car is $7 per person each way, the bus is $2.50 per person I think. If you have 4 people, there is virtually no cost savings of taking public transportation over UberX, unless you get caught in surge pricing.

As noted, BART is mostly for inter-city travel between towns around the Bay. For travel within SF, you're better off with Muni, which runs the buses, cable cars, street cars, etc, within San Francisco proper.

For a comprehensive web site on all transit within the SF Bay area, check out http://511.org. It is a clearinghouse of all the various agencies: BART, SF Muni, AC Transit, CalTrain, ferries, etc, etc. It has a trip planner that incorporates them all.

For a map of the Muni system -- buses, street cars, etc within SF proper, check out https://www.sfmta.com/maps/muni-system-map

To get from Union Square to the wharf area, you have two primary choices:
The touristy thing to do is take the cable car (Powell-Hyde or Powell-Mason). It's a cool thing to do for a tourist. But it's a bit pricey, and it can be difficult to get onto, since it's so popular. There are long lines at the terminii of the cable car lines, and when it passes any of the stops between, it frequently has no room.

The other method is the bus. The 30 Stockton is probably the best route for you between Union Square and the wharf. Or perhaps the 8 Bayshore.

Also, check the SFMTA site for multi-day passes.

HTH,
Bob

There's some weirdness to some of MUNI. There was a time when MUNI monthly passes were basically BART tickets. They could be used to take BART anywhere within San Francisco, and there were many cases where it was faster than taking MUNI depending on the destination. I'm not sure if that is still the case now that MUNI monthly passes are only available via "loading" to the Clipper interagency fare card.

I think quite a few people go from around Union Square to Fishermans Wharf via the F-line street car. It's more touristy than the bus, but without the touristy cable car fare. And personally I think it's safer than the cable car, although there is a certain sense of adventure standing on the side boards.

And if you've got the multi-day pass on MUNI, the cable cars are included. One supposed way to skip the lines at the turnarounds is to get on at the first stop, which is at Union Square. However, a lot of tourists are going to want to do it end to end even if there's a wait.

And the 30 Stockton is legendary. Not because it's that great a ride but the legend (with many variations) about the old Chinese woman trying to being a live chicken on board, back when live poultry could be purchased in San Francisco.

Lady - you can't bring a live chicken on the bus.

[Woman wrings the chicken's neck]

Chicken dead now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter