Bark Collar for very small dog, not a budget buster.

The title of the thread is "bark collar" not shock collar.

https://www.dogtelligent.com/best-bark-collars/

OP here is a good list of bark collars. Some do not shock at all. Some do have shock as an OPTION. Its just like with training collars, it isn't normally going to go past vibration unless you have one of those dogs that like the vibration and with one like that a gentle shock isn't likely to have too much affect either.

They are not inhumane unless someone uses them wrong and uses it inhumanely.

Why? Because its talking about something YOU don't agree with?
The concept of shocking a dog, especially a “very small dog”, is most certainly one I do not agree with, no. It is disgusting to me that anyone thinks this is ok.

The concept of shocking a dog, especially a “very small dog”, is most certainly one I do not agree with, no. It is disgusting to me that anyone thinks this is ok.

Again, she asked about a bark collar not necessarily a shock collar. Not all of them shock and for most, its an OPTION, not a requirement for the collar to work to train your dog.

You still are hung up on the word "shock" and not listening/reading anyone's description of what they do or how the collar is used.

I guess you people who advocate these ELECTRIC SHOCK collars have it all figured out - you don't really have to spend time working with your dog, training your dog humanely, or exercising them to wear them out. No, why waste your time when you can just brutally force them to submit?

And it was in response to Klayfish that you mentioned his past posts. This thread isn't that big, is it that hard to go back and read your own posts?

BTW, NOTHING you say in this quoted post is remotely true.

Now that I am ome with a keyboard I can better respond to the rubbish above.

Yikes on "you people" and going through others' post history to build a case against why their opinion is bad.
BS. It is not my style to "go through other's post histories to build a case against..." . Klayfish and I (and luvsjack) had been on a thread or two together the previous week where we discussed some of these issues with dogs. I simply recalled that conversation in response to Klayfish's post here when I had questions about his endorsement of using a shock collar on his dog. No digging involved, but thanks for trying to stir the pot without justification.

Your own post. #13 above.
Way to confuse the issue. The post in question was from #11.

Now that I am ome with a keyboard I can better respond to the rubbish above.

BS. It is not my style to "go through other's post histories to build a case against..." . Klayfish and I (and luvsjack) had been on a thread or two together the previous week where we discussed some of these issues with dogs. I simply recalled that conversation in response to Klayfish's post here when I had questions about his endorsement of using a shock collar on his dog. No digging involved, but thanks for trying to stir the pot without justification.

Way to confuse the issue. The post in question was from #11.

Huh? YOU are the one demanding this thread be shut down because you don’t like it. And insinuating people are bad dog owners because they have different styles of dealing with them. Why not go somewhere else on the internet if you don’t agree with this?

Weird stuff.

In post #7 I posted the link to an article from the Pet Professionals Guild:

It is Pet Professional Guild’s (PPG) view that electric shock in the guise of training constitutes a form of abuse towards pets, and, given that there are highly effective, positive training alternatives, should no longer be a part of the current pet industry culture of accepted practices, tools or philosophies. In this position statement, PPG will combine decades of research with the opinions of certified animal behaviorists, and highlight the question of ethics to explain why using electric shock in the name of training and care is both ineffective and harmful.

But if that's not good enough, here's what the American Veterinary Medical Association has to say in their position statement:

Veterinary behavior society announces position on punishment
In response to the popularity of television shows such as "The Dog Whisperer," the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior has issued a position statement and guidelines on the use of punishment for dealing with behavior problems in animals.
The guidelines clarify that while punishment can be effective in specific contexts, it also has an association with many adverse effects.
"A major problem with using punishment is that it suppresses behavior temporarily but does not necessarily modify the underlying cause of the behavior," said Dr. John Ciribassi, AVSAB president.
Also, punishment may interfere with the human-animal bond. Owners tend to punish pets inconsistently and as a consequence of anger, so punishment may occur long after the bad behavior and may be intense. Dr. Ciribassi said, "We can have a problem with the pet not trusting the owner because it is unable to consistently anticipate what the owner is going to do in any given situation."
The pitfalls and possible adverse effects of punishment include the following:
  • Timing punishment correctly is difficult
  • Punishment can strengthen the undesirable behavior.
  • The punishment must be strong enough to be effective, but intense punishment can lead to physical harm.
  • Regardless of the strength, punishment can cause some animals to become extremely fearful, and this fear can generalize to other contexts.
  • Punishment can facilitate or even cause aggressive behavior.
  • Punishment can suppress behaviors, including those behaviors that warn of aggression.
  • Punishment can teach the animal to associate the owners, other animals, specific contexts, or environments with bad experiences.
  • Punishment often does not address the underlying cause of behaviors or teach alternate behaviors.
The AVSAB's position is that punishment is not appropriate as a first-line or early-use treatment for behavior problems. Modification should focus on reinforcing desirable behaviors, removing reinforcement for inappropriate behaviors, and addressing the emotional state and environmental conditions driving undesirable behavior.
The AVSAB position statement and guidelines are available at www.avsabonline.org.

It's pretty telling when the OP is more concerned with the COST of the SHOCK COLLAR on her VERY LITTLE DOG than she is over whether it is a humane or effective thing for her tiny pet.

Very sage advice was given in the SECOND POST on this thread and that was seemingly ignored. I also gave MY experience with a dog becoming unstable from a SHOCK COLLAR, and that was ignored too.

Luvsjack has said on other thread that her family uses SHOCK COLLARS, so naturally she endorses them and wishes to engage in arguments here about them and try to find other ways to put me down over my opinion on this matter.

Look, people, do what you want. And as I said, when your dog turns unstable from being PUNISHED WITH SHOCK, you can just get rid of the dog and go get another. That seems to be the popular way today.

And God help these creatures that have to endure such ABUSE.

Huh? YOU are the one demanding this thread be shut down because you don’t like it. And insinuating people are bad dog owners because they have different styles of dealing with them. Why not go somewhere else on the internet if you don’t agree with this?

Weird stuff.
You want me to go elsewhere so you can continue to push this agenda?
Not a chance!
Weird, indeed, that you would endorse abuse of pets.

I don't really care what anyone wants to throw at me. Have at it.

If it gets through to just one person, then I'm good with that.

One less pet to suffer at the hands of misguided owners.

There’s certainly nothing wrong with your opinion. You are entitled to it 100%. Other people are entitled to theirs.

I’ve not given my opinion on this EITHER WAY, so it’s a pretty big leap to accuse me of “push[ing] an agenda” and being complicit to “abuse of pets” don’t you think?

There’s certainly nothing wrong with your opinion. You are entitled to it 100%. Other people are entitled to theirs.

I’ve not given my opinion on this EITHER WAY, so it’s a pretty big leap to accuse me of “push[ing] and agenda” and being complicit to “abuse of pets” don’t you think?
Yes. If you don't speak out against ABUSE, then you are complicit.

If any of you were to put these collars on and have Joe Shmoe working the controls, I can almost GUARANTEE you'd be screaming and squirming in ways you can't imagine. WHY WOULD YOU TO THIS TO YOUR PET?????

I don’t own a dog. I don’t know what a bark collar does. So I’m not educated enough to have an opinion about this.
Please educate yourself, then, if you're going to respond the way you did to a thread like this. This is a serious matter!!!

In post #7 I posted the link to an article from the Pet Professionals Guild:

It is Pet Professional Guild’s (PPG) view that electric shock in the guise of training constitutes a form of abuse towards pets, and, given that there are highly effective, positive training alternatives, should no longer be a part of the current pet industry culture of accepted practices, tools or philosophies. In this position statement, PPG will combine decades of research with the opinions of certified animal behaviorists, and highlight the question of ethics to explain why using electric shock in the name of training and care is both ineffective and harmful.

But if that's not good enough, here's what the American Veterinary Medical Association has to say in their position statement:

In response to the popularity of television shows such as "The Dog Whisperer," the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior has issued a position statement and guidelines on the use of punishment for dealing with behavior problems in animals.
The guidelines clarify that while punishment can be effective in specific contexts, it also has an association with many adverse effects.
"A major problem with using punishment is that it suppresses behavior temporarily but does not necessarily modify the underlying cause of the behavior," said Dr. John Ciribassi, AVSAB president.
Also, punishment may interfere with the human-animal bond. Owners tend to punish pets inconsistently and as a consequence of anger, so punishment may occur long after the bad behavior and may be intense. Dr. Ciribassi said, "We can have a problem with the pet not trusting the owner because it is unable to consistently anticipate what the owner is going to do in any given situation."
The pitfalls and possible adverse effects of punishment include the following:
  • Timing punishment correctly is difficult
  • Punishment can strengthen the undesirable behavior.
  • The punishment must be strong enough to be effective, but intense punishment can lead to physical harm.
  • Regardless of the strength, punishment can cause some animals to become extremely fearful, and this fear can generalize to other contexts.
  • Punishment can facilitate or even cause aggressive behavior.
  • Punishment can suppress behaviors, including those behaviors that warn of aggression.
  • Punishment can teach the animal to associate the owners, other animals, specific contexts, or environments with bad experiences.
  • Punishment often does not address the underlying cause of behaviors or teach alternate behaviors.
The AVSAB's position is that punishment is not appropriate as a first-line or early-use treatment for behavior problems. Modification should focus on reinforcing desirable behaviors, removing reinforcement for inappropriate behaviors, and addressing the emotional state and environmental conditions driving undesirable behavior.
The AVSAB position statement and guidelines are available at www.avsabonline.org.

It's pretty telling when the OP is more concerned with the COST of the SHOCK COLLAR on her VERY LITTLE DOG than she is over whether it is a humane or effective thing for her tiny pet.

Very sage advice was given in the SECOND POST on this thread and that was seemingly ignored. I also gave MY experience with a dog becoming unstable from a SHOCK COLLAR, and that was ignored too.

Luvsjack has said on other thread that her family uses SHOCK COLLARS, so naturally she endorses them and wishes to engage in arguments here about them and try to find other ways to put me down over my opinion on this matter.

Look, people, do what you want. And as I said, when your dog turns unstable from being PUNISHED WITH SHOCK, you can just get rid of the dog and go get another. That seems to be the popular way today.

And God help these creatures that have to endure such ABUSE.

And again They. Do. Not. ALL. Shock. Like at all.

And on the ones that do IT IS AN OPTION.

You simply keep ignoring what is said.

And I haven’t put you down. I simply said that what you questioned the pp about was something YOU said.

You want us to read your warnings but you refuse to read what others have tried to tell you. For the life of me, I cannot understand how you think a vibration is torture or abuse or whatever you want to call it. If the shock is not used or the collar doesn’t shock at all, how can that be painful?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter